1.23 - Jordan Addison, WR, USC - #3

SemperFeist

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

The WRs in this class drops off a giant cliff after WR4-5ish. The CBs are like 13-15 deep for starters. It makes sense to get a guy you think can be a legit dawg in the nfl at the receiver spot because

1. JJ is going to get paid

2. Osborn and Reagor are FAs after 2023

3. Only depth after that is Nailor

This way, you are guaranteed a high end WR room for the present AND the future when they decide on whomever is the QBOTF. That QB will inherit an offense of

Justin Jefferson

Jordan Addison

TJ Hockenson

Christian Darrisaw

Brian Oneill

You really cant ask for a better foundation for a young QB; whoever they decide that will be.

Oh I definitely agree, thus why Ive been saying that I don't think they address WR this year unless they did it early, I just dont see any of the later round guys pushing anyone already on the roster for actual playing time.

I do expect a lot of those CB's to go flying off the board in the 2nd though but Ive always been a fan of filling out the roster this year and give it another look next year, use draft capital to go get your QB and use FA money to fill out the rest of the roster

1 minute ago, Boda said:

I do expect a lot of those CB's to go flying off the board in the 2nd though but Ive always been a fan of filling out the roster this year and give it another look next year, use draft capital to go get your QB and use FA money to fill out the rest of the roster

There were specific QBs you draft this year - Young, Stroud and Richardson. If you cant get one of those, then take a mid/late round guy to develop and wait for a different opportunity. Don't force it, has to be the right one.

Jordan Addison is not the most athletically tested WR and definitely not the biggest. But when you watch him, I think KO mentioned this in his interview, it looks like he was just born to play the position. He's a natural at it, a natural at the nuance of the position. All the little things he does that comes naturally to him that doesnt show up in the testing numbers will translate to the NFL and allow him to win; inside and out.

• Like 2

I see some people looking at his deficiencies and how he doesn't have #1 receiver traits. We're not NE or the Bears, we don't need a number 1 receiver. We need someone to compliment Jefferson, take some heat off of him, and move the chains when the defense is focused on eliminating Jefferson.

The offense looks great now with JJ, Addison, Hockenson, two stud tackles. It's not a sexy pick but it makes a lot of sense. Osborne is in the last year of his deal too.

• Like 2

I had to sleep on this pick. I guess I am ok with it.  Not down, but not excited either.  If the team was to stay at 23 I thought they would go defense.

I was, truthfully, for trading up for Kirk's successor. Now, I believe they will try to extend Cousins, but will he be willing. 

Some say that next years QB class will be better, but that's said every year.  If Kirk is not willing to sign a reasonable extension, then the Vikings will have to start a rookie, which is not ideal, in my opinion. 

19 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

There were specific QBs you draft this year - Young, Stroud and Richardson. If you cant get one of those, then take a mid/late round guy to develop and wait for a different opportunity. Don't force it, has to be the right one.

Jordan Addison is not the most athletically tested WR and definitely not the biggest. But when you watch him, I think KO mentioned this in his interview, it looks like he was just born to play the position. He's a natural at it, a natural at the nuance of the position. All the little things he does that comes naturally to him that doesnt show up in the testing numbers will translate to the NFL and allow him to win; inside and out.

Yeah I don't hate the player I just would have preferred Porter Jr to be exact, time will tell how that plays out but I do think Addison will atleast be a solid player

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boda said:

Yeah I don't hate the player I just would have preferred Porter Jr to be exact, time will tell how that plays out but I do think Addison will atleast be a solid player

the thing with porter is that he is a high risk player too. He's a press man corner that if he doesn't win initially at the LOS, his recover ability is very questionable. So I totally understand why CBs like Forbes and Banks went before him. He's just not a fit for everyone.

And yeah he likely would be a fit for Flores; but there are other CBs later on in this draft that can do the same things as him in press man and wont cost a first.

5 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

the thing with porter is that he is a high risk player too. He's a press man corner that if he doesn't win initially at the LOS, his recover ability is very questionable. So I totally understand why CBs like Forbes and Banks went before him. He's just not a fit for everyone.

And yeah he likely would be a fit for Flores; but there are other CBs later on in this draft that can do the same things as him in press man and wont cost a first.

Whether he be a high risk player or not I still would have preferred him, I didn't think he'd fall past 17 & initially didn't think he'd fall past 15.  IMO that is a guy Id love on this Defense just like Id love Kelee Ringo who not all like his fit either.  I guess what it boils down to is I had Porter higher on my big board & fwiw I do believe CB right now is a bigger need than a WR but both are definite needs

Edit: I also don't think trading back into the 2nd at any point would cost a 1st unless thats all they'd be giving up I'm still a firm believer that a 2nd next year & pick 119/120 whatever # it is could get the job done, depending on how high maybe a 5th / 6th might need to be included as well

Edited by Boda

2 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I don't know about that.  It depends how long the extension is.  I never thought Cousins wanted to finish his career  with Minnesota. 

Obviously he wants to get paid but I always got the impression that he wants to finish it here

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I don't know about that.  It depends how long the extension is.  I never thought Cousins wanted to finish his career  with Minnesota. 

His family is settled here, he has worked with the offensive play-caller before, he'll be 35 going on 36 next offseason, he gets to play with 2 good tackles, 1 all-pro WR, a great TE, if Addison pans out a good #2, and has career earnings of 230 million. 

I have to think that if the organization tells him they want him, that he will sign up to play for the reasons above (vs taking a few more million to go play in Tampa/Vegas/whatever)

• Like 1

I’m ecstatic about this pick!  Going into the draft last night I wanted to leave the draft with one of Addison, JSN, Joey Porter Jr, or Cam Smith…. Somehow 3 of them were still on the board at our pick!

I find it hilarious that people keep saying that Addison doesn’t have the size or traits to be a #1 WR in this league, but I don’t think they could be more wrong about that.  I firmly believe that the only reason Addison didn’t test better was because of his ankle injury.  As for the size, Addison is one of the youngest WRs in this draft class and could easily add another 20 lbs.  Jordan Addison was easily my #1 WR in this draft and then I had a substantial drop off after him and JSN.  The only real thing that JSN does better than Addison IMO is run blocking, but Addison more than makes up for it with his catch radius.

I know it’s early and they haven’t played any games together yet, but I really think this pairing has the chance to be one of the next great WR pairings in the same mold of Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce on the Rams or Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison on the Colts.  Both Marvin Harrison and Isaac Bruce were very under weight at the combine, especially for Harrison’s age, but I would love to see anyone argue that neither of those guys are #1 WRs because they are small.  As I reiterated earlier as well I do think Addison is more athletic than his combine numbers and could probably run a low 4.4 40 time.

At the combine:

-Justin Jefferson

21.3 years  73.25 inches 202lbs -4.43 40 time

-Jordan Addison

21.1 years 71.13 inches 173lbs -4.49 40 time

-Reggie Wayne

22.5 years 72 inches 198lbs -4.45 40 time

-Marvin Harrison

23.8 years 71.9 inches 181lbs 

-Torry Holt

22.1 years 72.3 inches 192lbs -4.44 40 time

-Isaac Bruce