Alshon Jeffrey Signs a 4 year deal

eagles18

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You need to read all my posts again if that's all you got out of it. I mean I already addressed the bolded.

And, I never said signing Jeffery was stupid. I said I don't like how much we signed him for.

As far as top end weapons go there is Ertz who has actually played better than Jeffery.

You can argue Jeffery has played better than Ertz:

Zach Ertz:

55 rec/ 639yds/ 7 TDs

Alshon Jeffery:

43 rec/ 619 yds/ 7 TDs

11 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

How does AJ compare to other top WRs in targets? I would imagine Alshon's number of targets is much lower than other top guys.

He's tied with Baldwin for 14th with 89 targets.

Just behind guys like Mike Evans, AJ Green, and Davante Adams.

Guys over 100 targets include Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Dez Bryant (lol), Keenan Allen, Adam Thielen, Michael Thomas, Jarvis Landry, and Larry Fitzgerald.

A lot of this is going to depend on how the contract is structured which we dont know yet. 

My guess is it is backloaded in terms of cap hit but front loaded in terms of guarantees. 

Probally smaller cap hit fully guarenteed year 1 and 2. Huge increase in base years 3 and 4 but much less guarenteed so he can be cut if not performing or it is a contract he is willing to rework or extend.

All conjecture here though 

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

He's tied with Baldwin for 14th with 89 targets.

Just behind guys like Mike Evans, AJ Green, and Davante Adams.

Guys over 100 targets include Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Dez Bryant (lol), Keenan Allen, Adam Thielen, Michael Thomas, Jarvis Landry, and Larry Fitzgerald.

Yeah he is producing at the right rate then I would say. More TDs than the guys around him in targets and slightly less yards. If he was getting force fed the ball more his stats would look better.

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

A lot of this is going to depend on how the contract is structured which we dont know yet. 

This is true.

Looking forward to seeing the details.

6 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

My guess is it is backloaded in terms of cap hit but front loaded in terms of guarantees. 

Let's hope.

You have a 2nd year QB in contention for League MVP. Is it because of Torrey Smith? Mac Hollins? It's because the other WR you brought in via FA has completely opened up the field not only for himself but for Zach Ertz and Nelson Agholor. Two players who are benefitting greatly from AJ presence!

This Offense ran by Wentz will never have a "Quote unQuote" True #1 WR putting up 1500+. Don't care if OBJ was on the roster. He spreads it around to the open Receiver!!!

However that does not mean AJ is not a #1 WR for this Offense. Unlike others with lofty expectations I expected a slow start. Chemistry isn't formed overnight like most of you assume. We've seen the impact statistically since that matters to some over the past month. There's No reason to think barring Injury (My only singular concern with the contract, his history of Injuries)  that AJ, Carson and Zach won't  become even more dangerous and productive as a Trio in the coming years!!!

So if it cost $13m to keep that SB train rolling, keep this QB on a MVP projectory for years to come, then it's a small price to pay. Especially if it's proven over the next 2 years that $13M for WR with his impact on a Offense, is no where close to being top 10 money for the position. Howie has always tried to lock up talent early before the market dictates that you can't afford said player.

Like it or not NFL contracts are becoming absurd. WR is just the next in a long line of position groups to cash in. 

QB's like Cousins about to make $30M

DE like DeMarcus Lawrence about to make 17-20M

DT getting $100M contracts

RB like Bell and DJ about to get 15+M

Top end WR about to go upwards of 17-20M

Welcome to the current NFL and contracts to come!!

1 hour ago, BAConrad said:

I actually think Alshons slightly more valuable to our offense than Ertz.

I would agree, and IMO it's more than slight. It's great to have a guy like Ertz, but it's really not too difficult to get production in the short-middle of the field. We saw Jordan Matthews put up pretty damn good production in that role, considering it was his first 3 years in the league, and he's clearly a dime a dozen WR. I'll take a #1 WR who can win on the outside against top corners any day over a TE like Ertz, even if he's a middle of the pack #1 WR. Kelce or Gronk? Now that's a different story, those are TEs that can win anywhere on the field and are dynamic threats, but Ertz is pretty limited to finding soft spots in zone or getting a favorable mismatch. Ertz is a top 5 TE and he is valuable to our offense, don't get me wrong, but I think Alshon added a whole new element to our offense. This has more to do with their roles than how good they are at what they do. Ertz is a better TE than Alshon is a WR, but to me, a true #1 WR is generally going to be more valuable than any TE outside of the athletic marvels.

Archived