Jets Select DE Will McDonald IV Round 1 Pick 15

jetsfan4life51

McDonald_Will_KSU21_1.jpg

Now that I have actually dug a little deeper, I really like the player and fit.  Don't like the strategy and how it went down, but I can get behind this.  He is bendy, explosive, athletic and just what we have been missing.  Could put up massive numbers in a Wide 9 role, but is he a Jason Babin?  I think he made a mistake staying for another year and ended up being misused, lining up hands in the dirt in between the G and T.  When he is in a stand up role, he has elite bend and he goes after the ball.

Now the question is...does he have enough of an impact early with this very short window we have?  Is the Nolan Smith pec injury that much of an issue?  I love Smith's speed but it will be nice having someone who can bend the edge.

Interesting that the Jets kept this pick so close to the vest. There is nothing on the internet that would indicate the Jets had any contact with him. However many had his grade as a top 20 in round 1. 

The tape on this kid is insane, of all the pass rushers on the Jets McDonald is incredibly bendable with a slew of moves. Another interesting tidbit for us to ponder is are the Jets going to go with AVT at T? Could the Jets pass on C until the 4th round and grab a S like Branch in the second round? Our D would be elevated to another level altogether both on the DL and Secondary.

Sounds like one of those guys people in the league were a lot higher on than the scouting / mock draft community.

It felt like the entire off-season, aside from Rodgers, was predicated on drafting a top OT - everyone knew it and it cost us. Regardless of how you feel about this kid, missing out on an OT is a huge let down. Douglas needs to figure out where to pivot because we can't go into the season relying on Mehki/Brown. 

6 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Honestly it popped in my head last night but do you guys think they could use him in a Bruce Irvin/Micah Parsons type role? Off-Ball LB and edge in passing situations?

Nolan Smith should fit there.   Try to find something that Smith may not be able to do. Good Luck! lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Douglas needs to figure out where to pivot because we can't go into the season relying on Mehki/Brown. 

Assuming those two are the starters, Mitchell and Ogbuehi are the backups with AVT as the emergency backup backup.  Frightening but we may have to just accept that.  Maybe we pick a day 3 / UFA project, but his impact will be minimal.

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

Assuming those two are the starters, Mitchell and Ogbuehi are the backups with AVT as the emergency backup backup.  Frightening but we may have to just accept that.  Maybe we pick a day 3 / UFA project, but his impact will be minimal.

I don't think the offensive line is as big of a concern as Jets fans do. Packers have had a makeshift offensive line ever since the the Bakhtiari injury three years ago and Rodgers still played at a high level.

Having a great QB who knows how to get the ball out on time and read a defense pre snap makes a world of difference for the OL and to top it all off he has the best cadence of all time.

I didn't watch many Jets games last year so I don't know how bad your OL is, but as long as they don't allow a million free rushers coming up the middle untouched, they should be fine.

• Like 2

So after having slept on it, I still an not a fan of the pick but I am less miserable than last night.  We think needed an OT, there were none worthy of the pick.  We wanted them to trade down and my guess, just a guess, is JD tried but to no avail.  So we are stuck at 15 with no worthy OT. 

The other needs we fans think we need are OC, DT, iLB, FS, WR and OG.  Round 2 seems like the place to get good OC/OG value.  iLB is not worthy of a round 1 pick it seems anymore.  Weak S class.  Saleh / JD seem to shy from DT in round 1 and not sure there was any worthy of pick 15 since I have not really looked into DT that much.  As far as needs, this leaves WR.  I do not think WR is a need in round 1.  JSN is a slot and we have Hardman to play slot the majority of the time.  Perhaps JD felt as well.  This leaves BPA.  If you are going BPA, pick a player in the high money positions (LT,QB,WR,Edge).  JD did just that.

My above thinking is making this a little more palatable.  I still would have preferred the best OC/OG just to make sure we got the top guy, but we may still be able to today.  Although my gut tells me we are trading down.

2 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I didn't watch many Jets games last year so I don't know how bad your OL is, but as long as they don't allow a million free rushers coming up the middle untouched, they should be fine.

And therein lies the issue.  Our OC and LG are horrible in pass pro.  Hopefully one of those issues is addressed today.  Think AR can get the ball out before he actually receives it?  You know, like use his super mind powers to redirect the snap to his receivers without ever touching the ball?

3 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I don't think the offensive line is as big of a concern as Jets fans do. Packers have had a makeshift offensive line ever since the the Bakhtiari injury three years ago and Rodgers still played at a high level.

Having a great QB who knows how to get the ball out on time and read a defense pre snap makes a world of difference for the OL and to top it all off he has the best cadence of all time.

If healthy our o-line is fine. What is concerning for us fans is staying healthy is easier said than done. 

-Becton IF healthy is a pro bowl/all pro talent. But he hasn’t been healthy for two years. 

-AVT is an all pro calibre player who suffered a season ending injury who should be fine next year.

-Max Mitchell is a developmental right tackle who shown flashes of starting material but had a medical issue and subsequently was put on IR.

-Laken Tomlinson ‘should’ of been an elite guard for what we are paying him but was poor last year. Needs a big year.

-Brown is a solid left tackle but will be 38 by the time the league starts and has had injury concerns also. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StatKing said:

CMG and Laken were bad at pass protecting but it is the combination of OL, QB and OL coach.  Jets have upgraded 2 out of 3 and hopefully, that is enough to fix OL.  Still OL is a concern atm.

Jeff Ulbrich best create the best defense with all the talent and resources he’s been given. Bursting into the draft room to celebrate the selection of McDonald just like last year with JJ. 

This dude needs to get his **** together because last year the numbers made him look better when in actual fact we saw us beat down some 2nd/3rd string qbs that messed up the numbers. 

• Like 1