Jets Select DE Will McDonald IV Round 1 Pick 15

jetsfan4life51

25 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

We keep pining over OL but we have great pieces on the team already they were simply hurt last season.

And the season before.  That's the point.

26 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

In looking at our potential depth chart I think I might be surprised if we even draft a OL

It is not about depth, it is about fielding a competent OL.  Do you really believe Tomlinson and, to a slightly lesser degree, McG should not be upgraded?

this just isnt a good draft class and they clearly tried to trade down. is what it is. when this guy gets us a huge strip sack in a clutch situation nobody will care about him being slightly over-drafted. this regime is drafting athletic freaks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

this just isnt a good draft class and they clearly tried to trade down. is what it is. when this guy gets us a huge strip sack in a clutch situation nobody will care about him being slightly over-drafted. this regime is drafting athletic freaks. 

Exactly. I'd rather not reach for a guy. He was obviously their top rated guy at a premium position.  This defense relies on the DL getting to the QB. Saleh loves to add to the DL.  This is a scheme fit and he can get after the QB. 

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

The grade will come down to how they handle the rest of the draft. Only reason I’m giving McDonald “Liquid” IV a B-/C+ is lack of preparation and it really does look like they panicked. If they finish the draft off well I give it a B. 

Truth is we have been BEGGING for a guy like him since 2006. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

The grade will come down to how they handle the rest of the draft. Only reason I’m giving McDonald “Liquid” IV a B-/C+ is lack of preparation and it really does look like they panicked. If they finish the draft off well I give it a B. 

Jets were in the chaos when they swapped 1st but since then they were fully prepared.    That is absurd to think they were in panic last night.

12 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Who says they panicked? Some fans? Some media people? If they were desperate for 1 guy they probably would have traded up. I just don't get where everyone is getting this that they were panicked or didn't have a plan. They played their board, he was their top guy at a premium position. They apparently got some interest in a trade but the Jets wanted to add McDonald. 

1 minute ago, NYJets4716 said:

Who says they panicked? Some fans? Some media people? If they were desperate for 1 guy they probably would have traded up. I just don't get where everyone is getting this that they were panicked or didn't have a plan. They played their board, he was their top guy at a premium position. They apparently got some interest in a trade but the Jets wanted to add McDonald. 

I’ve been defending the pick but it did not look like that was the plan and they had to fall back, ran the clock down trying for a trade and then had to “settle/reach.”

By the end of the year I think we’ll all be fine with the pick though. 

2 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

JD haters say he panicked.  What is more plausible:  JD only had 4 OT on his board and threw a dart when they were gone or he had McD rated as one of his top players.  Yeah, me too, he had McD rated as one of his top players.  As someone else mentioned, we fans were so sold on us getting OT that when they were gone, some assume JD was in shambles.

I really think the issue isn't about McD as much as it is could we have gotten someone that would have been a bigger need.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I’ve been defending the pick but it did not look like that was the plan and they had to fall back, ran the clock down trying for a trade and then had to “settle/reach.”

By the end of the year I think we’ll all be fine with the pick though. 

That is optics, they called McDonald telling him he was their pick before the clock round down. I do not think they were panicked and I don't think we are as desperate for a OT that everyone thinks. 

None of these rookies are going to beat out Becton to start. Becton is motivated and I think he rebounds this season, we haven't seen him this focused on taking care of his body.  Duane Brown is probably going to start, Jets view him as a solid starting OT still.  We have Max Mitchell developing. Probably will add another guy to the mix. 

Today we could end up with a OT or what I am hoping is we land a center. There are 2 good centers available who could be a long term answer for us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xrade said:

JD haters say he panicked.  What is more plausible:  JD only had 4 OT on his board and threw a dart when they were gone or he had McD rated as one of his top players.  Yeah, me too, he had McD rated as one of his top players.  As someone else mentioned, we fans were so sold on us getting OT that when they were gone, some assume JD was in shambles.

I really think the issue isn't about McD as much as it is could we have gotten someone that would have been a bigger need.

Yup, and Douglas said he will never reach for a player for a perceived need. He rather grab the player he rated better at a premium position. Our entire defense is built on the DL getting pressure on teh QB, EDGE rushers that can get after it are important for our success. We been crying for players like McDonald for decades now upset.

I liked him and Kancey at that pick, Kancey would have been a great scheme fit as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I’ve been defending the pick but it did not look like that was the plan and they had to fall back

When picking outside of top 10, isn't that usually the case?  Some suggest we "stole" McD from Dallas.  Did Detroit really want Gibbs at 12?  Many fans and NY media have short memories and forgot what having only 1 pick outside of the top 10 feels like. Is there any doubt that there will be bitching from someone when we do not get a top rated player picking in the 20's next year?

5 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

I liked him and Kancey at that pick, Kancey would have been a great scheme fit as well. 

Which also brings up another point.  SInce JD has been GM, we have always had a massive hole at multiple positions.  This is probably the first year where there are not massive holes.  I still believe LG and OC are holes but I'll assume that at least one is addressed today.  I can't help but think that if we grabbed Nolan, we would not be having this conversation.

We all clamour for drafting BPA, but when we do, the sky is falling.  Let me preface this with the fact that I did not and still kind of don't view McD as BPA there.  But I am just an old polymer chemist and not a football GM.  WTF do I know?

1 hour ago, xrade said:

And the season before.  That's the point.

It is not about depth, it is about fielding a competent OL.  Do you really believe Tomlinson and, to a slightly lesser degree, McG should not be upgraded?

Its hard to say. They played with a piece meal OL almost all season. With the starters healthy and in place it can make a huge difference