Jets Select DE Will McDonald IV Round 1 Pick 15

jetsfan4life51

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

That ain’t it. What would you expect Saleh to say, he’s happy we got the third best PR?  This is all just HC speak. No matter who we picked he was going to be number one on the Jets board. 

HE SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT ZACH WILSON, HOW GREAT HE LOOKED IN TRAINING CAMP, HOW DID THAT WORK OUT?

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

HE SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT ZACH WILSON, HOW GREAT HE LOOKED IN TRAINING CAMP, HOW DID THAT WORK OUT?

Ok. Now you are just using caps to aggravate me. Aren’t you?

As for your query, I agree. All coaches will talk about their picks with statements like “#1 on our board”, “we can’t believe he was available there”, he’s coming in with a chip on his shoulder and will tear it up”, yada yada yada.  Zzzzzz.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Which has to make you think how bad our scouting is that they had McDonald over Anderson. 

And they had JJ as their number 1 last year haha.

Hey listen, I'm agreeing with you, and Saleh has done more talk than results, but I can't knock their process building a team together. The reality is we haven't had a team/plan like this since Rex and Tanny who ended up reverting to FAs and trades which sunk us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Which has to make you think how bad our scouting is that they had McDonald over Anderson. 

I mean, there are a lot of metrics that show McDonald is a highly successful EDGE rusher.  He had a high win percentage on rushes, he has a very good 3-cone which shows that his hips are loose to bend the corner. ANd he has a good variety of moves. He is pretty ideal for a WIDE 9 EDGE. 

McDonald had a "down" season last season because he was forced to play inside more for some reason, he is clearly made for WIDE 9 or 3-4 OLB.

I'm not saying he is better or not, but there are people who view Anderson as overrated.   He is not at the level of Von Miller.  

Putting the tinfoil hat on a bit but right before the Aaron Rodgers introduction Joe Douglas's kid (maybe it wasn't his) was on saying "Hopefully we get Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson" I highly doubt Joe D would put his kid out there announcing our interests if there wasn't some sort of plan to leak that information. 

Maybe a pass rusher was the plan the whole time....? 

5 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I mean, there are a lot of metrics that show McDonald is a highly successful EDGE rusher.  He had a high win percentage on rushes, he has a very good 3-cone which shows that his hips are loose to bend the corner. ANd he has a good variety of moves. He is pretty ideal for a WIDE 9 EDGE. 

McDonald had a "down" season last season because he was forced to play inside more for some reason, he is clearly made for WIDE 9 or 3-4 OLB.

I'm not saying he is better or not, but there are people who view Anderson as overrated.   He is not at the level of Von Miller.  

It’s not even that he’s not good. It’s more that we didn’t need a DE when we’re a win now team and we daddies a guy lowly getting 19 snaps a game at 15 overall.

In win now mode. Grab a guy that will at least get snaps.

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s not even that he’s not good. It’s more that we didn’t need a DE when we’re a win now team and we daddies a guy lowly getting 19 snaps a game at 15 overall.

I don’t mean to be too argumentative, but who?  Was Jones or any other OT except for maybe Paris going to start over Becton and Brown?  Maybe, but maybe not. I wanted OT in case those two were not ready. I still do. The situation is uncomfortable. But since we are in pretty good shape with our starting roster, chances are anyone we drafted in the first was not starting.  Had we selected JSN, I doubt he is starting. He’ll, Wilson did not start last year.

I was not the biggest fan of the position pick and even less of the player. If we were going PR, Nolan was the guy I wanted. But after thinking it over, who else was going to come in a play more?  All these picks are potentially future Jet starters  

• Like 1

A scout from an NFC team had this to say about McDonald: "Of all the pass-rushers in the draft, if I had to pick one to get me off the field on third down, he'd be the best one to do that."

Jets had him rated highly and they weren't the only ones, a lot of scouts are high on him.  The Jets DL rotates so much that these guys will be coming in and out. 

I think the Jets should have JFM more inside than outside. We are loaded with talent at DE. Years of having absolute no talent at getting after the QB to now having a DL that can wreck a offense. 

11 hours ago, xrade said:

I don’t mean to be too argumentative, but who?  Was Jones or any other OT except for maybe Paris going to start over Becton and Brown?  Maybe, but maybe not. I wanted OT in case those two were not ready. I still do. The situation is uncomfortable. But since we are in pretty good shape with our starting roster, chances are anyone we drafted in the first was not starting.  Had we selected JSN, I doubt he is starting. He’ll, Wilson did not start last year.

I was not the biggest fan of the position pick and even less of the player. If we were going PR, Nolan was the guy I wanted. But after thinking it over, who else was going to come in a play more?  All these picks are potentially future Jet starters  

McDonald the player I don't not like. For me it was several things that I didn't like. A good amount of people seemed to not care too much about the pick swap with GB. And that pick swap cost us being bale to draft Broderick Jones. So that for starters made me not like the direction we would go at 15. Bc I was pretty sold that we'd go OT there at 15, but they were all gone. I'm not going to sit here and say we should've traded back, bc that's easier said than done. And I'm guessing we did try and do that and had no takers or weren't getting the value we liked.

So McDonald the player for me has a good set of skills. But most had him as a late 1st early 2nd type guy. So at 15 he for me was a reach. Add onto it that we have 4-5 good DEs already... is really why I didn't like the pick position wise. We drafted a 10 snap pipeline DE at 15th overall. I think us as a fan base are normally good with that bc we aren't in the mix for a SB. But given that we're all in with AR. I think we should've gone a route that would have us at 15th overall getting a bigger contributor than what we likely get from McDonald as a rookie. Yes Lawson and Huff might be gone after this year and McDonald very well might start next year. But I'm talking about what we're getting from his a rookie as a win now team. With AR our window to be a SB contender is maybe only a year or 2. So I do care about immediate impact more than I normally would. And I don't think 10 snap guys as rookies should be a top 15 overall pick.

So if the question is who I would've drafted it would have been JSN or Kancey. You point out that JSN wouldn't get snaps really.. and I totally disagree there. I 100% think if we drafted JSN, Davis would be cut. So JSN would start, never mind barely play. And I'd have to imagine him starting with AR at QB, he'd be arguably the best rookie WR. So when I say I think we should've gone JSN, I'm not thinking him as our 4th WR. I'm thinking of him, GW and Lazard as our starters.

Now to Kancey... I think we have way more depth at DE than we do at DT. So while Kancey would also be a rotational DLineman. It's at a position that he very well is our 2nd best DT (maybe 3rd). So he'd be getting more snaps as a rookie than McDonald would.

The only x factor in this that for me could make me think drafting McDonald was a good pick is if he gets WAY more snaps than I think he will. But I'm judging this based on how we rotated DEs last year and guys like JJ and Clemons are likely upping there reps being they'll be more trusted than a rookie. Now if you think we trade Huff or cut Lawson and McDonald will get 20 snaps a game. Then the pick might be worth it. But I believe our staff has said Lawson is going nowhere and I think if we were going to trade Huff... we would've pre draft.

Now all that being said... I did like the rest of our draft. So it made me not like the McDonald pick easier to take. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I 100% think if we drafted JSN, Davis would be cut

I would not have had an issue with JSN but I think you are overlooking that he played about 75% of his snaps in the slot at OSU.  I highly doubt he would start the season as an X or Z.  He could be eased into that role, but on this team with how we treat WR, he would primarily play slot this year.  Since we have Hardman and Lazard also playing slot, cutting Davis would not make a difference and we are not cutting Hardman or Lazard.  If all that is true, JSN would be getting limited snaps to start the season.  Let's also not forget Rodgers apparent dislike for rookie WR's.  So that would be two reasons JSN would not be playing much this year.

DT would have been a good choice.  I am not so certain Kancey would have been the best choice but it is the type of DT Saleh seems to like.  Mazi may have been better as a run stopper, but that is not the type of DT Saleh employs.  Bresee?  Regardless of who we could have had at DT, I am not so sure he would see that many more snaps than McD.  I say this because of the heavy rotation Saleh uses with DT.  Q played 65% and Rankins 55%.  I will assume Jefferson and Thomas will take most of Rankins snaps. at least to start the season.  Any rookie DT we draft would probably start the season at about 20% reaching maybe 30% by the end of the year.  The point is that any rookie we draft is not starting or getting a lot of snaps to start the season.  Outside of a rookie OT beating out Brown or Becton every position is kind of set at starter.  

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

I would not have had an issue with JSN but I think you are overlooking that he played about 75% of his snaps in the slot at OSU.  I highly doubt he would start the season as an X or Z.  He could be eased into that role, but on this team with how we treat WR, he would primarily play slot this year.  Since we have Hardman and Lazard also playing slot, cutting Davis would not make a difference and we are not cutting Hardman or Lazard.  If all that is true, JSN would be getting limited snaps to start the season.  Let's also not forget Rodgers apparent dislike for rookie WR's.  So that would be two reasons JSN would not be playing much this year.

DT would have been a good choice.  I am not so certain Kancey would have been the best choice but it is the type of DT Saleh seems to like.  Mazi may have been better as a run stopper, but that is not the type of DT Saleh employs.  Bresee?  Regardless of who we could have had at DT, I am not so sure he would see that many more snaps than McD.  I say this because of the heavy rotation Saleh uses with DT.  Q played 65% and Rankins 55%.  I will assume Jefferson and Thomas will take most of Rankins snaps. at least to start the season.  Any rookie DT we draft would probably start the season at about 20% reaching maybe 30% by the end of the year.  The point is that any rookie we draft is not starting or getting a lot of snaps to start the season.  Outside of a rookie OT beating out Brown or Becton every position is kind of set at starter.  

I think pigeon holing any WR that's not small in size, to saying they're just a slot is a disservice to them. If JSN were a Jet all 3 of GW, Lazard and JSN can play on the outside or slot.

And I on the service think a guy like Mazi would fit what we need more so than Kancey. But at 15 overall Kancey isn't a reach and Mazi is IMO.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

And I on the service think a guy like Mazi would fit what we need more so than Kancey. But at 15 overall Kancey isn't a reach and Mazi is IMO.

Meh on the reach thing.  It is only a reach because the media makes it so.  If they said Mazi was a top 10 pick and we got him at 15 we would look like geniuses.  Teams evaluate differently than the media sheep.  Except for the Raiders, they always take a guy high that many thought would be drafted 3 rounds later then they get burned by the pick.

16 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

This is essentially the biggest thing most people are missing. McDonald is a good pick but he didn’t move the needle for a team like ours that is supposedly in win now mode. Then again this entire off-season has been underwhelming in terms of adding talent. Getting Rodgers was good and a huge upgrade but we didn’t upgrade any other spots besides Safety(Joyner to Clark).

10 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

This is essentially the biggest thing most people are missing. McDonald is a good pick but he didn’t move the needle for a team like ours that is supposedly in win now mode. Then again this entire off-season has been underwhelming in terms of adding talent. Getting Rodgers was good and a huge upgrade but we didn’t upgrade any other spots besides Safety(Joyner to Clark).

I agree. This offseason besides Rodgers has been unimpressive for a win now team.