Jets Select DE Will McDonald IV Round 1 Pick 15

jetsfan4life51

This tackle class was pretty bad. We are going to love this Mac pick when he's closing out games with big pressures and someone who finishes unlike a guy we are paying big money to. Not to mention we complained for years about never having pass rushers and now we have so many that unless you're consistently getting pressure, you aren't getting snaps. 

Also I don't believe a single report as to who we were taking at 15, at the draft they reported that this regime is like fort knox and have not had any leaks. Anything player mentioned at 15 is per speculation.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

This is essentially the biggest thing most people are missing. McDonald is a good pick but he didn’t move the needle for a team like ours that is supposedly in win now mode. Then again this entire off-season has been underwhelming in terms of adding talent. Getting Rodgers was good and a huge upgrade but we didn’t upgrade any other spots besides Safety(Joyner to Clark).

No player at 15 was moving the needle

58 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

This tackle class was pretty bad. We are going to love this Mac pick when he's closing out games with big pressures and someone who finishes unlike a guy we are paying big money to. Not to mention we complained for years about never having pass rushers and now we have so many that unless you're consistently getting pressure, you aren't getting snaps. 

Also I don't believe a single report as to who we were taking at 15, at the draft they reported that this regime is like fort knox and have not had any leaks. Anything player mentioned at 15 is per speculation.

Your pretty much proving my point though.

Mac will be closing out games? How exactly will he be doing that when we likely have 4 guys ahead of him on the depth chart? You think it's the last drive of the game and we need a defensive stop against BUF that we're rolling out there a rookie DE over Lawson, JFM, Huff, JJ, Clemons?

Don't think I've seen anyone complain about MCDonald's skill set. If they have I'd love to hear why.

But for someone like me... my issue is how little he will play this year. If we were expected to be a 7-10 team and just keep getting younger and improve each year it would make sense. But when we made the decision to be a win now team by trading for Rodgers. That win now mode activated. And to get a 4th-5th depth DE at 15th overall isn't a good pick.

Tipp drafted 27 picks later will have a massive more of an impact for us for example. Heck even Israel is likely to have more of an impact in Round 5.

We drafted a depth DE 15th overall. We play him as a starter and I'll more than be happy and eat my words. I'm just looking at the depth chart and in win now mode and vets needing to be trusted more than rookies in crunch time. That McDonald isn't going to be out there in crunch time and isn't getting a ton of snaps period.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

No player at 15 was moving the needle

I get what you mean but guys like Kancey, Campbell would have immediate impacts at positions where are relatively weak at defensively. 

But overall we just didn’t have much room to pivot when we go to that spot. NE/PITT trade definition caught JD by surprise IMO. 

Bobby I think my fundamental disagreement with you on this whole thing is the "win now" emphasis. I don't think this pick needed to be a win now pick, and I don't think it was ever going to be someone that was gonna be a day-1 70+% snap guy unless it was an OT that won a camp battle. 

You wanted JSN and say they'd have cut Corey Davis then. I just don't see that as a huge short term upgrade either, and I'm not convinced that he would even be playing more than 50% of the snaps in that case anyway.

I'm not super pumped on this pick like I was with our first four picks last year, but I see the vision and can't really argue with it. I still can't really be convinced there was a better option other than other DL that would have also been in rotation.

Edit: Philosophicallly, drafting with a  "win now" mindset is a terrible idea in my opinion 

Edited by Sandwhich2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Bobby I think my fundamental disagreement with you on this whole thing is the "win now" emphasis. I don't think this pick needed to be a win now pick, and I don't think it was ever going to be someone that was gonna be a day-1 70+% snap guy unless it was an OT that won a camp battle. 

You wanted JSN and say they'd have cut Corey Davis then. I just don't see that as a huge short term upgrade either, and I'm not convinced that he would even be playing more than 50% of the snaps in that case anyway.

I'm not super pumped on this pick like I was with our first four picks last year, but I see the vision and can't really argue with it. I still can't really be convinced there was a better option other than other DL that would have also been in rotation.

Edit: Philosophicallly, drafting with a  "win now" mindset is a terrible idea in my opinion 

I get what you’re saying. But we just spent the 15th pick on probably our deepest position group on the roster. Literally probably the worst position wise we needed. Now next year is a different story. But for the immediate future DE is probably our least need on the team. So unless people think he’s beating out guys like Lawson, Huff and JFM… it wasn’t a great way to use our best resource in a 1st round pick. Especially given we likely don’t have one next year.

Tye player himself I don’t dislike. I dislike going DE there unless it’s a crazy talent like Anderson who falls in yoir lap. We if anything reached for a position we absolutely don’t need.

I get people thinking McDonskd was a reach because he might not get a ton of playing time off the bat. But if we had taken Tippman at 15 (who has a great chance to start at a position of need) and McDonald at 43 how would you guys view the draft. Same players but different order. Different? Same?

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I get what you’re saying. But we just spent the 15th pick on probably our deepest position group on the roster. Literally probably the worst position wise we needed. Now next year is a different story. But for the immediate future DE is probably our least need on the team. So unless people think he’s beating out guys like Lawson, Huff and JFM… it wasn’t a great way to use our best resource in a 1st round pick. Especially given we likely don’t have one next year.

Tye player himself I don’t dislike. I dislike going DE there unless it’s a crazy talent like Anderson who falls in yoir lap. We if anything reached for a position we absolutely don’t need.

Yeah, us not having a first next year makes a even better case for drafting a pass rusher now *before* it's a need.

Opposing view points here on what we expect our of this pick. I don't mind drafting now for something that wont necessarily benefit us for a couple of seasons. It's different it it's a top 5-10 pick, or the class was a little stronger at this point in the draft.

This whole discussion about drafting for need in the first is quite encouraging.  Think about it, when was the last time we were nitpicking over a high draft pick because he may not play enough?  This tells me our roster is nearing completion.  We can draft replacements a year early rather than be forced to draft and play a rookie day 1.  

What were our perceived needs?  OT, ILB, FS, OC.  Perhaps OT wasn't as big a need to the people at 1 Jets drive as it was to us.  I want to believe they know more about Brown and Becton's injury status and are comfortable enough not to draft OT high.  I would really like to know if Jones was available if they would have picked him.  I do not think we will ever draft ILB in round 1.  It just does not seem that important to Saleh.  Regardless, there will be a few ILB in FA next year.  As for FS, I think Adams is higher on their list than he is in our eyes.  This was also a weak year to draft a starting FS.  OC addressed.

All that is left is to actually win games.

19 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Well this is the problem. We were never a win now team. The media and our owner turned us into a win now team. 

They absolutely are win now. They won't be able to pay all the guys coming up on defense... plus Wilson/Hall. It's too much. Once these contracts expire, you may as well start over and tank in 25', and rebuild both units. They have to get to a SB this year or next year or the Saleh/JD window is closed. You definitely fire both guys if they can't get to a SB.

Edited by WheatieMan

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

They absolutely are win now. They won't be able to pay all the guys coming up on defense... plus Wilson/Hall. It's too much. Once these contracts expire, you may as well start over and tank in 25', and rebuild both units. They have to get to a SB this year or next year or the Saleh/JD window is closed. You definitely fire both guys if they can't get to a SB.

Disagree.

If their vision gets them into deep playoff runs then you trust those guys forward to be able to continue acquiring talent through the draft to replace guys that they cannot afford to pay.

Thats what all the successful franchises do. Keep acquiring talent, keep the machine churning. Yes they're trying to win now but they do not also need to sacrifice their future. They're a young team and they're building a good foundation. They have not yet tanked their future: really have only traded away one future pick and the cap isn't totally busted in future years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

And who is it that we have to pay right now? Q? We can pay people lol. Last year was NOT a championship defense. They were one of the most overrated units. 

The year prior the entire league was sucking the DLs ****s. They were soooo overrated. Q finally stepped up last season and it’s still an overrated unit. We have some big holes and overrated players that were not exposed by backup QBs. 

9 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Disagree.

If their vision gets them into deep playoff runs then you trust those guys forward to be able to continue acquiring talent through the draft to replace guys that they cannot afford to pay.

Thats what all the successful franchises do. Keep acquiring talent, keep the machine churning. Yes they're trying to win now but they do not also need to sacrifice their future. They're a young team and they're building a good foundation. They have not yet tanked their future: really have only traded away one future pick and the cap isn't totally busted in future years.

Yes there is a reason why Pittsburgh does not miss the playoffs. They ALWAYS have people waiting in the pipeline to replace aging/priced out vets.