2023 NFL Draft: Day 2 Discussion

gopherwrestler

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

I think Flores will definitely scheme better this season. But the CB room might be the worst in the NFL right now, and the DL is only marginally better. 

I'd argue that the DL isn't even marginally better.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a big downgrade as of right now...and it wasn't even good before.

• Like 2

I think Flores will definitely scheme better this season. But the CB room might be the worst in the NFL right now, and the DL is only marginally better. 

It's not like the LB were great last year.....The CB room could be two deep with three hurt guys......It's downright scary that anyone thinks this is likely to be a healthy group.

Just now, JDBrocks said:

The draft isn't over, there's still lots of good free agents available, and they seem to have found a coach willing to put players in a position to succeed, unlike last season. The roster isn't finalized yet and the scheme hasn't been implemented. Give it a chance.

You just have more optimism than I do.  I certainly don't argue that Flores won't scheme better, because he can't be worse, but like I said earlier, you can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop.  And I'm not very optimistic about the talent on defense, at least for 2023.  The proven talent left in the free agent market is old and over-priced on the DL or middle-aged and uninspiring at CB. 

13 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It literally can't be worse. Given the current roster, and Evans' concusssions and Booth's injuries, how good do you think this will really be?

Not good at all until we make drastic changes at CB. Byron Murphy, Andrew Booth and Akayleb Evans have to be one of the worst CB groups in the league. I don’t know what Kwesi is going to do, but he has to do something if we plan on stopping anyone in the passing game. Hopefully we have a good CB that falls to us in the 3rd round. I would like Eli Ricks, Darius Rush or Cory Trice. I also believe that we’re going to trade Za’Darius and/or Cook today to pick up more picks. The 3rd and 4th round will be stacked with contributing talent. 

Edited by Purplepride323

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You just have more optimism than I do.  I certainly don't argue that Flores won't scheme better, because he can't be worse, but like I said earlier, you can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop.  And I'm not very optimistic about the talent on defense, at least for 2023.  The proven talent left in the free agent market is old and over-priced on the DL or middle-aged and uninspiring at CB. 

You can make chicken poop soup though. That might be a little bit better than just chicken poop. 

• Like 1

If you want him at 32, then why in the world wouldn't you trade to 31 and get the 5th year option? If the Vikings were to trade for 32 for Levis, I'd be absolutely dumbfounded.

This. I'll be very confused by everyone that trades to 32 that didn't trade to 31......"everyone" makes no sense, I guess, since only 1 team can.

13 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If you want him at 32, then why in the world wouldn't you trade to 31 and get the 5th year option? If the Vikings were to trade for 32 for Levis, I'd be absolutely dumbfounded.

Apparently, it's part of a trend that teams don't want to make the same mistake that the Packers did in drafting Love, as they don't view him as one of the elite QBs, so they don't want to give up valuable 2nd/3rd rd picks to move back into the 1st to get him when the return for doing so really isn't that much different than taking him in the 2nd.

It's even compounded by the salary differences between 1st and 2nd rd picks.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1