Commanders select Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State with the #16 pick

MikeT14

12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I remember Porter being discussed somewhere here as a possibility. We did list Banks and Gonzalez as probably the top two, but I remember Porter's name being bandied about. And I do not remember Forbes' name coming up at all.

You are correct on that, I'm just saying no one on here was banging the table for him #1. Everyone listed three other CBs ahead of him to draft. And yes, he was probably mentioned more than Forbes until late. 

• Like 3

On 11/30/2023 at 7:46 PM, Thaiphoon said:

I remember Porter being discussed somewhere here as a possibility. We did list Banks and Gonzalez as probably the top two, but I remember Porter's name being bandied about. And I do not remember Forbes' name coming up at all.

Forbes was only mentioned when it became clear Rivera/the Marty’s & JDR were going to overdraft him in R1. Like I guess it was April when we started discussing him? I didn't even know who he was. I was way more focused on OL early & then taking a slot CB in R2, 3 or 4 while Fuller and Juice remained outside.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 11:16 AM, turtle28 said:

Forbes was only mentioned when it became clear Rivera/the Marty’s & JDR were going to overdraft him in R1. Like I guess it was April when we started discussing him? I didn't even know who he was. I was way more focused on OL early & then taking a slot CB in R2, 3 or 4 while Fuller and Juice remained outside.

I brought it up the day before the draft I think when Standig had changed his mock to Forbes and Keim started talking about him and then all the local media people pivoted to Forbes. Somebody in the building gave the pick away. That's why I think its funny that people are like "if so and so was on the board" even though in Ron's mind the pick had already been made

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I brought it up the day before the draft I think when Standig had changed his mock to Forbes and Keim started talking about him and then all the local media people pivoted to Forbes. Somebody in the building gave the pick away. That's why I think its funny that people are like "if so and so was on the board" even though in Ron's mind the pick had already been made

Yep, I remember that. What a loser organization.

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

I want Forbes to get a whole lot of snaps through the end of the season.  We need to see if he is a total bust or not.  CB could be pretty big on our offseason list.

I don;t think you make that decision here in year one, but I do agree about getting him a lot of snaps.  

Just about every position is lacking talent that has produced, so it’s kinda “take your pick” on what to address this off-season.  

I feel two different ways about Forbes. A part of me wants to see what he looks like with new coaching but another part of me wants to see if he has any value at all and move him before its too late. I know that seems fast but he was so bad that its hard to imagine him improving to a degree that it will be worth it.

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I feel two different ways about Forbes. A part of me wants to see what he looks like with new coaching but another part of me wants to see if he has any value at all and move him before its too late. I know that seems fast but he was so bad that its hard to imagine him improving to a degree that it will be worth it.

So what would you let him go for at minimum?

Definitely want to see him get coached properly. Almost the entire secondary collapsed this season — St. Juste has fallen apart in recent weeks, Butler looks bad, Forrest didn’t look that great, even Fuller is getting roasted pretty frequently. It’s a sign of how good Kam Curl is that he doesn’t also look like total trash, I’d wager. 

I liked what I saw from Forbes in college. I think it’s become clear that you’ll have to protect him from these jumbo receivers like AJ Brown, but I’m pretty sure I still like his upside more than some guy we’d get in the 3rd round.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Definitely want to see him get coached properly. Almost the entire secondary collapsed this season — St. Juste has fallen apart in recent weeks, Butler looks bad, Forrest didn’t look that great, even Fuller is getting roasted pretty frequently. It’s a sign of how good Kam Curl is that he doesn’t also look like total trash, I’d wager. 

I liked what I saw from Forbes in college. I think it’s become clear that you’ll have to protect him from these jumbo receivers like AJ Brown, but I’m pretty sure I still like his upside more than some guy we’d get in the 3rd round.

We did get Fuller in the 3rd round lol

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I’d be OK going for a reclamation project in any trade scenario for Forbes.  

Pitts is an interesting one, though, because you’d owe him about $10.5M next season and you’d have to immediately make a decision on the 5th year option at over $11M for 2025.

If you’re trading a recent 1st round pick for him, I think you have to exercise the option — so that puts you on the hook for almost $22M over two years. Which, looking at where TE salaries are now, isn’t that crazy I guess. But it’s still basically FA market value for what he’s accomplished as a pro, so you’re not getting ton of surplus value out of it. 

I’d still like to get Pitts, but I think Forbes is a bit steep a price. 3-4 pretty cheap years of Forbes against 1-2 pretty pricey years of Pitts, you’d have to be fairly certain on at least one side of the equation or the other — that Pitts is a breakout waiting to happen or that Forbes is just a bum.

• Like 1