Commanders select Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State with the #16 pick

MikeT14

19 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He's graded out better at the moment and I liked Porter Jr more than Forbes. Logan Thomas is at the tail end of his career and he's gone after this season. Cole Turner is a decent second option but he's not a gamebreaker like Kincaid or Mayer potentially are. You being butt hurt that I didn't agree with the Forbes pick is a you thing. Not a me thing. And yes, I'm not going to pretend he was the best corner on the board at the time because he wasn't. I would've taken Porter Jr and Gonzalez over him. 

Honestly I would’ve taken González over Forbes but we didn’t. And now González is out for who knows how long with a dislocated shoulder.

I’m not butt hurt about your opinion but it’s just not adding up, that’s all. 

Like this is what gets me. If you like a guy - see Mayer & Kincaid - you say oh, he’s a potential game breaker!

But if you don’t think the guy we have on our team can be a game breaker based on no evidence either way - Cole Turner - or is as good as two guys you wanted to draft without really knowing if that’s true or not right now you just say “well the other guys are potential game breakers” but will say Cole “never will be one” when we don’t know that Cole Turner is or isn’t right now. I know Cole has had a pretty good season so far.

It basically comes down to whoever you wanted to draft for you, instead of how our guys may or may not be playing that we drafted. Forbes has not been perfect and JDR has put him in some difficult spots vs Brown & Diggs at times who are top 5 WRs but given Forbes’s stats it hasn’t been all bad.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Honestly I would’ve taken González over Forbes but we didn’t. And now González is out for who knows how long with a dislocated shoulder.

I’m not butt hurt about your opinion but it’s just not adding up, that’s all. 

Like this is what gets me. If you like a guy - see Mayer & Kincaid - you say oh, he’s a potential game breaker!

But if you don’t think the guy we have on our team - Cole Turner - is as good without really knowing if that’s true or not right now you just say “well the other guys are potential game breakers” but will say Cole never will be one when we don’t know that Cole Turner is or isn’t right now. I know Cole has had a pretty good season so far.

It basically comes down to whoever you wanted to draft for you, instead of how our guys may or may not be playing that we drafted. Forbes has not been perfect and JDR has put him in some difficult spots vs Brown & Diggs at times who are top 5 WRs but given Forbes’s stats it hasn’t been all bad.

Dude he got torched my Mims too. Its happening every single game. He's struggling and he can't help in run support. 

Cole Turner is a decent player. He's just not the explosive athlete Kincaid is. He can't run without tripping over his own feet. He literally falls down after every catch. He doesn't get YAC. I think Mayer and Kincaid will both be better pros. 

Yes, it comes down to whoever I wanted to draft. You asked me who I would've picked over Forbes and I told you. That was the whole point lol. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Man he got beat on a LOT of reps. The effort to tackle AJ Brown on his long touchdown was pathetic. Hopefully he has a bounce back game this week, but that is rough to watch from the "game-changing playmaker" Ron was so enamored with.

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The difference is Forbes caught an int already & he’s known as a ballhawk from college. Carlos Rogers was never known as a ballhawk, even in college, just technically sound.

What you did in college doesn't matter when you get to the NFL. 

If he doesn't catch the ball in the NFL, he won't make it long. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

To be fair,MOST cornerbacks aren't going to enter the league and be good the first year.

This. I remember how much Trevon Diggs got burned his rookie year but by his 2nd year he had cleaned a lot of that up and is now viewed as a top 10 CBfor sure, arguably top 5.

46 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

To be fair,MOST cornerbacks aren't going to enter the league and be good the first year.

Yeah, that's a little fair. It's one of the hardest positions in the NFL to adjust for from college from what is said and done. 

• Like 1

Gonna repost part of the other post I made. This was through last week's games and didn't include yesterday. Notice one of the names is the same?

Does anyone have buyer's remorse on Forbes? I kinda do. I wanted Christian Gonzalez if we were picking a DB (but not sure about where we picked Forbes).

Here's what Gonzalez has done the past 3 weeks.

He's covered:

• AJ Brown
  • Tyreek Hill
  • Jaylen Waddle
  • Garrett Wilson

And has given up only 36 yards passing.

Meanwhile Forbes has given up 125 yards (only 11 corners have given up more).

I get that it can take some time to adjust, but it looks like Gonzalez is better coming out of the gate. Especially given who he has lined up against. 

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Gonna repost part of the other post I made. This was through last week's games and didn't include yesterday. Notice one of the names is the same?

Forbes has gotten beat too many times to give him a pass.  I haven't watched Gonzalez, but I wonder if they are being asked to do the same sort of things.  I tend to think a lot of players experience a steep learning curve with JDR's overly complicated defense.  Either way, Forbes has work to do.  I sure hope he improves.  At least he looks better than our second round pick who seems to be struggling even more so. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

Forbes has gotten beat too many times to give him a pass.  I haven't watched Gonzalez, but I wonder if they are being asked to do the same sort of things.  I tend to think a lot of players experience a steep learning curve with JDR's overly complicated defense.  Either way, Forbes has work to do.  I sure hope he improves.  At least he looks better than our second round pick who seems to be struggling even more so. 

I'm absolutely hoping he improves. I can deal with getting beat as a rookie. I can't deal with how many game changing INTs he's dropped

• Like 1

Gonna add something here since I criticized, I also want to point blame where I think it should go the most. 

On JDR and Paddleboat Ron.

You don't put a rookie against someone like Brown, if you have Fuller and Juice playing.

Talked with a few Pats friends and told me to take a look at their games again. And that if you watched any of the Pats games, you might notice that Belichek isn't doing that to Gonzales. He is rotating him in and out of covering number 1s so that he isn't left on an island with them for long stretches.

And I remember that last year the Jets did that with Sauce Gardner his first couple of games.

I think that is a proper way to build up a rookie CB and get his confidence up.

So while I dislike Forbes' stone hands, I think the overall crispiness of Forbes right now has a great deal to do with JDR and Ron not putting him in the right place to succeed at this stage in his career.

• Like 3

I think Forbes will be fine. I like the passion he plays with. He was definitely getting under the skin of AJ Brown and that taunting penalty helped us get into OT. But I think if you are expecting he's gonna ever be a CB1 you might be disappointed. Ron has drafted two skill position guys in back to back years with less than ideal frames and we wonder why they are average?

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, offbyone said:

This all day! González is in Belichecks system, Bill is not going to expose his rookie he’s going to scheme up things so his rookie won’t be exposed & there’s no doubt that González is more technically sound regardless.

JDR is leaving Forbes on an island often and Forbes is experiencing frowning pains. I’d also point out that Forrest Si fat gas not had the season he had last year and Butler has blown a few coverages too like in the Broncos game.

Often times w/o knowing the defensive calls it’s hard to know whose responsibility a completion was on. 

I do one thing, having Forbes go one on one vs Diggs & Brown is on JDR. He shouldn’t have been put in that situation in the first month of his rookie year.

Juice should’ve traveled with Brown all game & Fuller should’ve traveled with Diggs all game. And they should’ve been in a 2 high safety look in the 4th quarter with Curl at BN/WLB and Forrest/Butler as the 2 high safeties.

You do that and Brown/Smith don’t hear you, you make Goddert have to beat Curl & their slot WR have to beat Forbes which may happen but it won’t be for 20-50 yard completions like it was Forbes vs Brown.

• Like 1