Commanders select Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State with the #16 pick

MikeT14

5 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I really hope they don't now force Juste inside.  

I like Johnson there myself.  He isn't spectacular, but I think he is solid.

I agree.  Johnson is probably the best option we have there.  I didn't like what I saw from St. Juste inside.  He really took off when we moved him outside. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think he will be a good player, but we will always be comparing him to gonzalez. 

Unfortunately this. I do have a fun $20 bet though with a buddy on better PFF score between the two for next season. 

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Forbes didn't play in the Senior Bowl?  That's kind of surprising.  

I don't know all the nuances on underclassman going, but he was a true Junior. 

Also, lol, I just saw NFL.com's pro comparison player: Cam Dantzler. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't know all the nuances on underclassman going, but he was a true Junior. 

Also, lol, I just saw NFL.com's pro comparison player: Cam Dantzler. 

I mentioned that last night ,,and both Mississippi State ! and now both Commandos

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

There's a cut up on youtube of Forbes vs Davonte Smith and from why I can see Smith cooked him. 

He was a true freshman in that game. If Forbes had clamped Devonta at that age, during the season where he was almost literally uncoverable en route to the Heisman, he should have been the first defensive player off the board this year, without question.

Devonta schooled him. But he schooled everyone. There’s another one with a matchup (also his true freshman year) against George Pickens that is a lot more evenly matched. Pickens gets him a couple times, but the coverage is mostly very good. And there’s a third one where he really does lock down Jameson Williams. 

I think the kid is a legit 1st round cover guy. Whether he can hold up in the NFL with a BMI approaching “underweight” status is anyone’s guess. But I do like his game, and I think it’s kinda nice how his playmaking style complements what we can probably expect to get out of St.-Juste.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

He was a true freshman in that game. If Forbes had clamped Devonta at that age, during the season where he was almost literally uncoverable en route to the Heisman, he should have been the first defensive player off the board this year, without question.

Devonta schooled him. But he schooled everyone. There’s another one with a matchup (also his true freshman year) against George Pickens that is a lot more evenly matched. Pickens gets him a couple times, but the coverage is mostly very good. And there’s a third one where he really does lock down Jameson Williams. 

I think the kid is a legit 1st round cover guy. Whether he can hold up in the NFL with a BMI approaching “underweight” status is anyone’s guess. But I do like his game, and I think it’s kinda nice how his playmaking style complements what we can probably expect to get out of St.-Juste.

There’s another where he locks down Metchie as well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

So what does our line up look like?  St Juste clearly belongs outside.  Fuller has shown skills in both spots.  Forbes clearly belongs outside.

Outside corners: St. Juste, Forbes

Slot: Fuller, Johnson

?

It's tbd. I don't think we can say right now. 

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

None of what you just posted indicates that, though, and literally just about everything I’ve read about him indicates “exceptional” man corner, not much about zone. 

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/what-cb-emmanuel-forbes-brings-to 

With the 16th overall pick of the NFL Draft, the Washington Commanders selected cornerback Emmanuel Forbes out of Mississippi State. Forbes is a very athletic corner that measures in at 6-foot-1, 166 pounds and ran an impressive 4.35 40-yard dash at the combine. So what are the Commanders getting in Forbes, who they selected despite projected top-10 cornerback Christian Gonzalez still being available? Let’s take a closer look at his skillset and how he fits in Washington’s defensive scheme.

At Mississippi State, Forbes played a lot of zone coverages like quarters and Cover-3, which are two coverages the Commanders lean on consistently, especially quarters. Forbes is at his best playing from off coverage where he has vision on the quarterback and multiple receivers around him. He’s excellent at processing what he sees quickly and adjusting his coverage to the different routes being thrown at him. 

• Like 1