Commanders select Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State with the #16 pick

MikeT14

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

This all day! González is in Belichecks system, Bill is not going to expose his rookie he’s going to scheme up things so his rookie won’t be exposed & there’s no doubt that González is more technically sound regardless.

JDR is leaving Forbes on an island often and Forbes is experiencing frowning pains. I’d also point out that Forrest Si fat gas not had the season he had last year and Butler has blown a few coverages too like in the Broncos game.

Often times w/o knowing the defensive calls it’s hard to know whose responsibility a completion was on. 

I do one thing, having Forbes go one on one vs Diggs & Brown is on JDR. He shouldn’t have been put in that situation in the first month of his rookie year.

Juice should’ve traveled with Brown all game & Fuller should’ve traveled with Diggs all game. And they should’ve been in a 2 high safety look in the 4th quarter with Curl at BN/WLB and Forrest/Butler as the 2 high safeties.

You do that and Brown/Smith don’t hear you, you make Goddert have to beat Curl & their slot WR have to beat Forbes which may happen but it won’t be for 20-50 yard completions like it was Forbes vs Brown.

Wasn’t Gonzalez covering the other teams top receiver and shut them all down? 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Wasn’t Gonzalez covering the other teams top receiver and shut them all down? 

He was and he did great in the snaps he was covering them. But according to my Pats friends, it wasn't for long stretches like we've done with Forbes. So maybe there's something to that strategy for rookie CBs?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

He was and he did great in the snaps he was covering them. But according to my Pats friends, it wasn't for long stretches like we've done with Forbes. So maybe there's something to that strategy for rookie CBs?

Well I sure would like to see a change in our backfield and we actually have the personnel to do this.  Let's rotate Forbes, Juste and Fuller outside and use someone else inside.  I think even Danny Johnson is better than Juste inside and Juste is really good outside.  We could rotate Johnson with Martin and phase him into duty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

Well I sure would like to see a change in our backfield and we actually have the personnel to do this.  Let's rotate Forbes, Juste and Fuller outside and use someone else inside.  I think even Danny Johnson is better than Juste inside and Juste is really good outside.  We could rotate Johnson with Martin and phase him into duty.

I'm all for them trying it. I don't know that they will though bc that means Forbes won't play as much for sure. 

If we put the kid in the WRs face instead of 10 yards off the ball, maybe he can become more effective. I think a lot of his struggles have to do with our scheme. Much like when they signed WJ3 to play a zone-dominant scheme when he was primarily a press-man corner, they are trying to force another player to do something they aren't comfortable with. They are absolutely destroying the kids confidence too. 

On 10/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, Slappy Mc said:

If we put the kid in the WRs face instead of 10 yards off the ball, maybe he can become more effective. I think a lot of his struggles have to do with our scheme. Much like when they signed WJ3 to play a zone-dominant scheme when he was primarily a press-man corner, they are trying to force another player to do something they aren't comfortable with. They are absolutely destroying the kids confidence too. 

I don't think Forbes can handle a 210 to 230 pound WR off the line. He's going to try to jam them & they’ll over power him.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, Slappy Mc said:

He played a lot of zone coverage in college, most of his draft profiles talk about him playing well in zone. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I don't think Forbes can handle a 210 to 230 pound WR off the line. He's going to try to jam them & they’ll over power him.

You dont have to jam WRs in man coverage. IMO, he should be running stride for stride with the receiver instead of trying to wait and react, he doesn't have the make up speed to stop his feet and try to keep up. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

He played a lot of zone coverage in college, most of his draft profiles talk about him playing well in zone. 

I know he played a lot of zone in college, but the NFL is a different beast. He is constantly being schemed out of position* and there have been no adjustments made to help him out. Instead he took a beating, they benched him and drug him through the mud with the media. I haven't heard a single "we have a lot of confidence in this young man and we will do everything we can to help him succeed." Instead it was "the young man struggled last week, we wanted to see him bounce back this week and he struggled again so we decided to make a change."

*edit for clarification:

Opposing teams are scheming multiple routes in his zone/double moves/option routes directly targeting him.

Edited by Slappy Mc
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 11:51 AM, MKnight82 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/37461056/key-intel-all-32-teams-2023-nfl-draft-buzz-depth-chart-fits-team-needs-next 

"The Cowboys were closely watching Mississippi State corner Emmanuel Forbes, who went No. 16 overall to Washington."

Apparently Dallas wanted Forbes. 

Probably should've let the Cowboys pick him. 

16 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Dallas knows how to develop talent... He probably would have been the next Deion Sanders. 

Hasn't all of our secondary been developed by Washington? I believe so. Many of them are good players with some signs of greatness, and Curl is great.

There's so growing pains going on as Forbes has been asked to go against opposing teams #1’s bc our corners play sides of the field instead of traveling with receivers, which I hate but it's what we've been doing for as long as I can remember.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Hasn't all of our secondary been developed by Washington? I believe so. Many of them are good players with some signs of greatness, and Curl is great.

Tell that to the defensive rankings, especially pass rankings. Our coaches and coaching schemes are the issue. I think most of these players could be very successful if we don't try to pigeonhole them into doing things that aren't their strengths. And if we run into a situation where it's not working, adjust the scheme instead of benching and blasting the player(s).

• 2 weeks later...