Are you smarter than Paton/Payton? v.2023

broncosfan_101

No trade up

3.67: Adetomiwa Adebawore (DE/DT) - Dre'mont replacement.

3.68: Darnell Washington (TE)

Busy weekend so i'll add picks in now.

4.108 Darius Rush (CB)

5.139 Luke Wypler (OC)

6.195 Wish I could get Skinner here but since we took him before this spot i'll take the Trautman trade. 

7.297 Alex Forsyth (OC) - let him and Wypler battle it out for a roster spot with also some flexibility to play G if both stand out during the offseason. 

Additions

1 - DE/DT 

2 - TEs

1 - CB

2 - OC/IOL

Edited by grizmo78

Not as much interest, but I was fine with Mims & Sanders in a vacuum, but there's no way I would have moved up at all, and let the board dictate who I take, given our lack of draft capital.

No trade up

3.67: Josh Downs WR - young TY Hilton comps are a bit lazy, but not far off the mark.    With Jeudy going to X, let's get the slot weapon. 

3.68: Drew Sanders ILB - zero objections. 

No trade up again

4.108 Adetomiwa Adebawore 5/3T - board falls perfectly to let this happen.

5.139 - Israel Abanikanda RB - the home run speed / space threat at value at Rd5

6.195 - keep trade for Adam Trautman TE - inline TE is def a 2023 need that's OK for Rd6. 

7.257 - Andre Carter II, EDGE - needs time to further develop, but insane toolset to go UDFA. 

Hate that I couldn't address OL, but I can't support spending more picks to move up.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

So much hindsight with the “no trade up” knowing who will be available after the fact

To be fair, though - a decision to not trade up given our lack of draft capital isn't hard to defend at all - it's pretty much a stance many took well before the draft.   As for who was there - that's kinda the point of letting the board dictate who you end up taking.    I say that as someone who stuck with my Rd1 choices in past years, not knowing how it would work out later on - when you're in Rd3-4 and committed to sticking it out, there's going to be a massive amount of variance in who's left (as opposed to passing on move-up trades in Rd1, for example).

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, though - a decision to not trade up given our lack of draft capital isn't hard to defend at all - it's pretty much a stance many took well before the draft.   As for who was there - that's kinda the point of letting the board dictate who you end up taking.    I say that as someone who stuck with my Rd1 choices in past years, not knowing how it would work out later on - when you're in Rd3-4 and committed to sticking it out, there's going to be a massive amount of variance in who's left (as opposed to passing on move-up trades in Rd1, for example).

Trade ups are made not knowing who is on the board and going to get your guy. It’s easy to say stay back and don’t trade up when you know Ade Ade will be there at 67 or 108 in your “mock”… I’d like to see what people would do with each move that was made. 

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Trade ups are made not knowing who is on the board and going to get your guy. It’s easy to say stay back and don’t trade up when you know Ade Ade will be there at 67… I’d like to see what people would do with each move that was made. 

Fair, but that's only do-able as the draft is live.   Full credit to those that post live in real time as the picks come in (I've done that in years gone by, but was AFK this year, no coincidence with no picks until Rd3, either).     

The overall lack of interest in this year's draft with live posting was noticeable (and already commented on), way fewer ppl posting live with this year's draft (myself included).   But your point's taken.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Fair, but that's only do-able as the draft is live.   Full credit to those that post live in real time as the picks come in (I've done that in years gone by, but was AFK this year, no coincidence with no picks until Rd3, either).     

The overall lack of interest in this year's draft with live posting was noticeable (and already commented on), way fewer ppl posting live with this year's draft (myself included).   But your point's taken.

I mean it can still be done. Factor in the trades and who would you take that was available at each spot…

15 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I mean it can still be done. Factor in the trades and who would you take that was available at each spot…

Sure, just you get to use hindsight there, too, that's all.   If the point was not using hindsight, then unavoidable to not be using some hindsight.

But for the sake of making the deals, the only guy I'd have even considered to move up for 2.68 was Hendin Hooker - again, because I saw 2-3 WR's still left and no OL that were worth it to move up for (Sanders was a fantastic choice).   Obv DET probably would have just taken Hooker at 2.68 if DEN didn't want to move up, though, so I can't use hindsight to not take the trade and say Hooker.

There's just no way I'd want to trade any 2024 day 2 draft capital to move up in 2023, though.   I don't think that's a position that needed hindsight on who's left to justify.   It doesn't even factor in who's going to still be left at your original spot to commit there, the gap isn't wide enough IMO to start cannibalizing future valuable draft assets (Rd5+, sure, they're dart throws, but Day 2 picks?   Bridge too far) in a roster that needs to get more cheap talent by next year as a priority - that was my earlier point, apologies if I wasn't clear on that. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1