2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

On 4/29/2023 at 9:50 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

So far, on day 3 of the draft, the Packers drafted two more WRs.  

Dontayvion Wicks 6'1 206

Grant DuBose 6'2 201

I missed my prediction by one inch.  But that does fit the model that I had last season of 6'1 and/or 200+

I have not seen any UDFAs added so far, but I will revisit.  If the prediction holds true, Melton and Reed will remain the only small WRs in camp and the rest of the additions will be "big"

Added two WRs as free agents:

Deuce Watts - 6'1 196

Malik Heath - 6'2 213

6'1 and/or 200 still holding.  I am interested to see if both Melton and Reed can make the team.  

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Added two WRs as free agents:

Deuce Watts - 6'1 196

Malik Heath - 6'2 213

6'1 and/or 200 still holding.  I am interested to see if both Melton and Reed can make the team.  

Reed is probably gonna be our #1 WR. He'll make the team

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Reed is probably gonna be our #1 WR. He'll make the team

First part, no. 

Second part, he would have to stink on ice not to make the team.  I am referring to whether or not they would keep Melton.  We really don't keep more than one small WR on the roster very often.  The last time we did was when Austin, Ervin, Shepherd were all on the roster, I have not looked back to see exactly when and if they were all healthy at the same time either.

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

First part, no. 

Second part, he would have to stink on ice not to make the team.  I am referring to whether or not they would keep Melton.  We really don't keep more than one small WR on the roster very often.  The last time we did was when Austin, Ervin, Shepherd were all on the roster, I have not looked back to see exactly when and if they were all healthy at the same time either.

First part, yes. 

He's going to lead our team in receptions probably already by the 2nd half of the season in 2023. But for sure by 2024.

Edited by incognito_man

Well...prior to the draft, I box score scouted him.  Came away feeling "meh".  Watched some stuff on him, came away feeling slightly better than "meh".  Watched his Senior Bowl stuff, now, and pretty much have a woody.

I would have preferred Hyatt.  If you are going to draft small, you might as well draft small and really fast.  

And after seeing this kid?  I think he can put on a few pounds and be just fine.  Time will tell, still wished we had gone Hyat, but I am now excited for this kid.

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Well...prior to the draft, I box score scouted him.  Came away feeling "meh".  Watched some stuff on him, came away feeling slightly better than "meh".  Watched his Senior Bowl stuff, now, and pretty much have a woody.

I would have preferred Hyatt.  If you are going to draft small, you might as well draft small and really fast.  

And after seeing this kid?  I think he can put on a few pounds and be just fine.  Time will tell, still wished we had gone Hyat, but I am now excited for this kid.

It's no secret I liked Hyatt. But I immediately liked Reed more after I watched him. Would have had him above Hyatt. I just love love love that Diggs, Brown skillset and play style. And he's far more accomplished than Hyatt and ready to contribute day 1.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's no secret I liked Hyatt. But I immediately liked Reed more after I watched him. Would have had him above Hyatt. I just love love love that Diggs, Brown skillset and play style. And he's far more accomplished than Hyatt and ready to contribute day 1.

I don't see Diggs or Brown there at all....outside of size.

I too liked him more the more I watched, but not at a Hyatt level.  And he is small on the weight side.  

I did really like the production as a freshman.  And obviously his big year of production.

I don't know who he is, comp wise...maybe Sky Moore.  Maybe Greg Jennings light.

But he's got a chance.  

I just preferred someone else with the pick, no big deal.

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

I appreciate all of the untethered optimism. This is definitely the season for it and until proven otherwise, all of these new guys are all pro. 

No, the QB is straight trash.  Not even joking.  They can get a better camp arm just hanging out at Preble.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If only the draft pundits that mock receivers to the Packers each year that are between 170 and 180lb (and usually in round one) would take note. Reed should be the slot guy, which are often lighter, but he's still listed at 187.

and would 5'10 185ish isn't a tank, it's still a pretty solidly built person

As far as GB having smols at WR, I trace the lineage of successful "smaller, route-running quicks" back to Robert Brooks,* who had one of the all-time great receiving seasons in GB history (and that's saying something). Him, then the usual Driver-Jennings-Cobb order.

Edited by Mr Bad Example

Jayden Reed combine results
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jayden-reed/32005245-4526-3142-e96f-a871c08a1138

Antonio Brown combine results
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/antonio-brown/32004252-4f00-0001-4ac0-67a98b776d89

Stefon Diggs combine results
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/stefon-diggs/32004449-4721-8895-fc23-d2bf4c921bd4

All three have similar numbers (i'm actually shocked at Brown's poor broad jump). It's a shame Reed didn't do the 3-cone but tape suggests hes not as agile as JSN so there's a good chance he could hit the 7 seconds mark which is where Brown and Diggs is around.

Tape also suggest he has the capability to play outside, he can pull away from defenders to make the catch or he can jump to compete for the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

New packers WR… cooking new Viking CB.

So here's something interesting...

It's almost like Reed is TOO quick/fast. The defender is two moves behind him, so they often end up in the right position out of dumb luck. That actually might translate better to the NFL where DBs are quicker to react. 

That and/or we need to teach him to add another fraction of a second between his double moves to allow the DB to fully commit to his first juke.

On 4/30/2023 at 3:12 PM, thrILL! said:

Love this kid's heart and determination!  Can't wait to see him flourish in this offense.

fantastic video. rooting for him as a Packer, rooting even harder after seeing this 

On 4/30/2023 at 7:48 PM, incognito_man said:

these metrics are what i use playing dynasty fantasy football lol 

• Like 1