2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Really? I'd not thought of that. So if Loves closer to LOS and the WR is passing "behind" him....thats a handoff - and a pass if their positions are reversed? Hmmm.

Agreed but I believe that would be considered a lateral, a hand off is when both parties touch the ball at the same time.

the jet sweeps, the quickie little flips are laterals

Edited by turf toe
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Really? I'd not thought of that. So if Loves closer to LOS and the WR is passing "behind" him....thats a handoff - and a pass if their positions are reversed? Hmmm.

It's literally just the definition of a forward pass. If the ball moves forward from the QBs hand it's either going to be a completed pass or an incomplete pass.

If it moves backwards it's a lateral or a fumble.

Just now, incognito_man said:

It's literally just the definition of a forward pass. If the ball moves forward from the QBs hand it's either going to be a completed pass or an incomplete pass.

If it moves backwards it's a lateral or a fumble.

Perhaps so...but thats seriously splitting hairs.
A QB can soft toss the ball to a RB to get outside and it's considered a handoff stat-wise.
So - just reversing the same soft toss to a WR moving a foot or two in front of him is considered a pass?
Perhaps thats the case....but IMO an actual "pass" should be something that crosses the LOS in the air.

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

Perhaps so...but thats seriously splitting hairs.
A QB can soft toss the ball to a RB to get outside and it's considered a handoff stat-wise.
So - just reversing the same soft toss to a WR moving a foot or two in front of him is considered a pass?
Perhaps thats the case....but IMO an actual "pass" should be something that crosses the LOS in the air.

You are trying to split hairs.

If the ball moves forward, out of the Qb's hands and into a RB or WR's hands, it is a forward pass.

There's a ton of it in the NFL now.  Ball isn't live if it hits the ground.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

You are trying to split hairs.

If the ball moves forward, out of the Qb's hands and into a RB or WR's hands, it is a forward pass.

There's a ton of it in the NFL now.  Ball isn't live if it hits the ground.

Actually not. I think an actual pass is something that crosses the LOS in the air. Not a simple toss to a WR a foot in front of the QB behind the LOS. That's way too similar to any number of ways the ball's transferred to RBs - which are considered hand offs. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Actually not. I think an actual pass is something that crosses the LOS in the air. Not a simple toss to a WR a foot in front of the QB behind the LOS. That's way too similar to any number of ways the ball's transferred to RBs - which are considered hand offs. 

Well, you're wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Well, you're wrong.

A HS kid here threw for 300 yards here a couple years ago running like an option offense where all he did was those shovel touch pass things all game. He never had one ball go past the LOS, 300 yards passing. I think of it every time I see one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Well, you're wrong.

Could be based on how the NFL accumulates stats....I just think the LOS is the operative criteria. The balls gotta cross it in the air in order to actually be a pass and a reception with YAC stats assigned.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Could be based on how the NFL accumulates stats....I just think the LOS is the operative criteria. The balls gotta cross it in the air in order to actually be a pass and a reception with YAC stats assigned.

Well I suppose you can create your own league with your own rules

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

A HS kid here threw for 300 yards here a couple years ago running like an option offense where all he did was those shovel touch pass things all game. He never had one ball go past the LOS, 300 yards passing. I think of it every time I see one.

They basically ran option plays with the pitch man in front? It really is kind of genius. No more fumble possibility from a bad or mishandled pitch.

• Like 1