2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

That's not even close lol

I've watched Reed since I watched quite a bit of Jalen Nailor. Reed is nowhere near Brown/Diggs/Jennings. He's more Harry Douglas with a little more upside.

Bookmark this post. Jayden Reed will never come close to Brown/Diggs/Jennings. 

True story! Brown/Diggs/Jennings all had similar knocks against them when they were drafted. 

I live in Michigan and by proxy MSU is often the only option. Reed was the best WR on that team by a lot the past three years. Dude actually doesn't have to be any of those guys but he's going to be one hell of a weapon for us. 

Also, he's going to be better than the tiny little bastard you guys drafted in round 1. That dude has bust written all over him. Not trying to *** for tat. I hated him as a prospect before any picks were called. Laughed out loud when you guys picked him. Almost as much as with the Bears passing on Carter and the Lions doing what they did. Just when I thought the Lions were starting to get their **** together too. 

We just took back the North with our first 4 picks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

True story! Brown/Diggs/Jennings all had similar knocks against them when they were drafted. 

I live in Michigan and by proxy MSU is often the only option. Reed was the best WR on that team by a lot the past three years. Dude actually doesn't have to be any of those guys but he's going to be one hell of a weapon for us. 

Also, he's going to be better than the tiny little bastard you guys drafted in round 1. That dude has bust written all over him. Not trying to *** for tat. I hated him as a prospect before any picks were called. Laughed out loud when you guys picked him. Almost as much as with the Bears passing on Carter and the Lions doing what they did. Just when I thought the Lions were starting to get their **** together too. 

We just took back the North with our first 4 picks. 

That's mightily optimistic but okay

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

That's mightily optimistic but okay

I agree it is optimistic to a point. We had a down year, but our roster is damn good. Jordan Love will be the clear best quarterback in the division by midseason. Granted that is not a tall hill to climb. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

He plays so much like Stefon Diggs it's not even funny. Same type of demeanor and everything.

Honestly, I look at him and see the pre-crazy version of Antonio Brown. Same build, ability to play outside as a smaller dude, and even similar combine scores in terms of explosion grades and measureables. Reed is faster in the 40 though. Similar attitudes on the field too.

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I agree it is optimistic to a point. We had a down year, but our roster is damn good. Jordan Love will be the clear best quarterback in the division by midseason. Granted that is not a tall hill to climb. 

I'll make sure to Bookmark your post.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly, I look at him and see the pre-crazy version of Antonio Brown. Same build, ability to play outside as a smaller dude, and even similar combine scores in terms of explosion grades and measureables. Reed is faster in the 40 though. Similar attitudes on the field too.

Hopefully very, very different attitudes off the field 

49 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not going to lie guys, I don't see Stefon Diggs at all. Diggs has an absolutely special ability to put his foot in the ground and explode away from a defender, while also showing enough wiggle to mess you up in the stem such that he can play the vertical game. 

I don't see anything approaching that with Reed. 

He's fine. I really like his hands. He does a nice job catching away from his body, and he highpoints effectively. He's not a bad athlete by any stretch of the imagination, but the only plus part of his game for me is his hands. Everything else looks fine. It looks like it will play at the pro level in the slot. I just don't see a vertical game on the boundary. 

I haven't keyed in much on his blocking, but I don't expect it to move the needle for me. 

+++

This is fine. It's a middle of the road pick. We need a WR and it's a piss poor WR class. 

Sometimes the board doesn't work out. 

He's AB like more than Diggs. Very similar release off the line IMO.

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

When we get finished with the draft, I will really have a different looking class in the Are You Smarter Than Gute thread, because of this second round.  

But one thing I am wondering is if I was missing something the whole time about the WRs.  I have been a huge proponent of the "big" WRs that the Packers seem to take.  However, I think I always overlooked Randall Cobb and his role as the small receiver.  He wasn't an exception, he is part of the room.  When he was gone in 19 and 20 the Packers filled his "small" WR role with a combination of Tyler Ervin, Darrius Shepherd and Tavon Austin, which when added together is still a pretty small contribution, and for sake of argument we will count as one player, based on effectiveness, and routes run.  They then replaced them with Amari Rodgers, and soon brought back Randall Cobb.  Amari flamed out, so Cobb fulfilled that role again, and while we had two "smalls" we had one contributor.  The rest of the WRs on the roster are "big" 6'1 and 200+ pounds.  This tracks as far back as TT and Greg Jennings (Driver and Jennings were about the same size).

Move ahead to today, we have just drafted "small" Jayden Reed (5'11 190).  We also have "small" Bo Melton (5'11 189).  The rest of our WRs currently on the roster/drafted are at least 6'1, and only Samori Toure is under 200 pounds.  Of our 200 pounders, all of them are at least 6'2.  I will definitely revisit this topic, because it interests me.  But let's make a hypothesis that we can revisit tomorrow, and at the end of the preseason.  I predict that any further drafted WRs in this draft will be at least 6'2 and over 200 pounds, as will any UDFAs that we bring in.  And even though I like both of them, I will predict that the other two "smalls," Melton and Toure, are PS bound to start the season, if we do add two more "bigs." That is provided that the added bigs aren't just total bums in camp.  

It has been brought up before but the coaches have talked about having a WR corps similar to a basketball team with some what specialized roles 1-5. There has always been room for a shiftier slot guy but we haven’t put much investment into it. Cobb of course but that was a different GM, recently with Amari but that flamed out quickly and now we have a pretty high pick here with Reed who is a true speed demon on the field compared to the others. The rest in that mold have been cast offs and udfa. It’s not that the Pack has shown zero interest in small receivers, but it’s clearly not a priority in terms of what they want. Like a basketball team, there can be role for a small exceptionally quick guy we sees things faster than most, but also like a basketball team you want most of your guys to be tall gazelles who can out run, and out jump the competition. The intangible is ball awareness and hands.  Any size guy can have that but it helps to have it in a long frame.

Im just getting familiar with Reed. He looks like he could be a fun player if used correctly and I hope LaFluer will get creative with his new WR corps while also getting our QB some “traditional” sets to see what we’ve got. 

Edited by Refugee

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

It has been brought up before but the coaches have talked about having a WR corps similar to a basketball team with some what specialized roles 1-5.

But isn't this kind of the opposite of what MLF wants?  He wants to be able to line up and the defense won't be tipped off to what is coming because the players can fill multiple roles as needed. 

7 hours ago, craig said:

I don't know anything, but I love the pick.  Will he turn out to be excellent?  Beats me. 

But, I love the choice to grab a quick-and-shifty guy, rather than a big run-blocking guy.  MLF once said that he didn't want to have all point guards, but in practice hs tended to seem to want point-forwards only.  I'm glad to diversify. 

The reports still talk about him being a good blocker, so that must have been part of MLF being OK with him.  

I'm not crazy about undersized players because the laws of physics weigh heavily in the game of football. With that said, if they are going to draft an outlier at WR it doesn't hurt that he epitomizes the saying 'It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog'. And that seems to be Jayden Reed. 

There was a lot of positive talk coming out of the Senior Bowl about this guy and if people pay attention, they know the Packers year after year draft a few players that kill that setting. As for WR's Watson, Doubs, Amari all had very good weeks at the Senior Bowl, and all end up drafted by GB. Jim Nagy never stopped pimping this guy and it probably should have made us take a closer look at him as a potential Packers pick. 

The one thing I do know about this player is that he will be the greatest player ever selected by the Packers 50th overall. In 87 years of drafting players, Jayden Reed is the first player the Packers have ever selected 50th overall. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

But isn't this kind of the opposite of what MLF wants?  He wants to be able to line up and the defense won't be tipped off to what is coming because the players can fill multiple roles as needed. 

I don’t think he wants ultra specialized guys that can only do one thing, but it’s ok to use a guy’s best attributes in certain roles. Like if this guy didn’t have any toughness to at least get in the way on certain plays where he doesn’t have the ball, he wouldn’t be a Packer. Still, he’s going to be best not being asked to be the goon and using his acceleration to get out in space. 

It should also be noted, even the NBA is gravitating towards “positionless basketball”. You have certain body types, but not everyone is locked into just one role based on that. NFL is the more specialized game with so many more players and roles to play on the field but both sports are going for that element of surprise by having skill guys who can do multiple things. 

• Like 3