Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

14 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't know why most of you guys want to sign a above average QB for 30 mill. That is what he will get. He has won no playoff games and buckles under big games. A few years ago he had a chance to win and be in the playoffs against the Giants. Boom he loses. Look at the teams that put big money into the QB's and what do they get nothing. Flacco, nothing since signing big contact, Luck nothing, Stafford nothing, Bradford nothing. I don't want to be one of those teams that signs a huge contract and cripples your team down the road when guys like Big Cat Williams, Adams, and Maye. I would rather take a risk in the draft. 

Don’t bother man. They want Cousins and they want him bad lol

10 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't know why most of you guys want to sign a above average QB for 30 mill. That is what he will get. He has won no playoff games and buckles under big games. A few years ago he had a chance to win and be in the playoffs against the Giants. Boom he loses. Look at the teams that put big money into the QB's and what do they get nothing. Flacco, nothing since signing big contact, Luck nothing, Stafford nothing, Bradford nothing. I don't want to be one of those teams that signs a huge contract and cripples your team down the road when guys like Big Cat Williams, Adams, and Maye. I would rather take a risk in the draft. 

None of those guys are up for another 2 years.  We'll have 60M+ after signing Cousins is my estimate we can easily budget to lock those guys up.

It's a fair criticism mentioning those other teams but we are building a solid team here.  Most of those teams had cap issues when they signed their QB's we won't be in the situation which is why I feel it's different.  

It's also why I think we are better than DEN.  DEN will have to move the likes of Talib/Sanders two good contributors on their team to make room for Cousins while we would have room for multiple 10M+ contracts to bring in tons of talent plus 4 good draft picks.  

Why do keep referring Denver as a better destination and the team closer to winning with Cousins? They have a quarter of our available capital, less premium draft picks, and and aging team that finished worse than we did!

If they sign Cousins, that is literally their entire off-season, they are not just a Kirk Cousins away. Neither are we, but we have an additional 60 million to help sure up some depth and some of our holes.

13 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Don’t bother man. They want Cousins and they want him bad lol

Haha. 

I think it has more to do that Jets fans are desperate for a QB that can be the face of the franchise. Cousins is the first option at the moment. If we miss out on Cousins, I'm pretty sure this hysteria will transfer over to the draft. 

I have no problem with that contract, I'd heavily front load it though.

$100M Guaranteed and $180M total:

$60M signing bonus

Year 1 - $30M guaranteed + $10M signing bonus = Cap Hit $40M ($71 remaining in cap)

Year 2 - $20M guaranteed + $10M signing bonus = Cap Hit $30M ($50M remaining in cap with Enunwa and Kearse as Free Agents)

Year 3 - $20M guaranteed + $10M signing bonus = Cap Hit $30M (15% of the cap with Williams and Jenkins as Free Agents)

Year 4 - $17M not guaranteed + $10M signing bonus = Cap Hit $27M (12.8% of cap)

Year 5 - $17M not guaranteed + $10M signing bonus = Cap Hit $27M (12.3% of cap)

Year 6 - $16M not guaranteed + $10M signing bonus = Cap Hit $26M (11.3% of cap)

You'd be able to cut him after year 3 if you needed to or you could keep him on for good money. To put it in perspective the 15th highest paid QB in the league this year makes 12% of the cap. I don't think this deal would prevent us from signing players over the next 2 years and it becomes manageable as soon as we need to start signing our own players.

For prorated bonus, you can run through 5 years maximum. That means 12m SB instead of 10m in that 6 year contract.

Also, this is a failing contract. You said 100m GTD and 60m SB.  That would be 2 years in that contractual structure.

GTD included.

60m SB

30m first year

10m out of 20m 2nd year.

In your general words,

130m GTD upon signing to make it 140m over 3 years.

That is close to my projection 140-175m GTD for Cousins. 

17 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Why do keep referring Denver as a better destination and the team closer to winning with Cousins? They have a quarter of our available capital, less premium draft picks, and and aging team that finished worse than we did!

If they sign Cousins, that is literally their entire off-season, they are not just a Kirk Cousins away. Neither are we, but we have an additional 60 million to help sure up some depth and some of our holes.

Broncos can cover Cousins contract.  Heavy SB and 2nd-4th year salary.  Broncos will be expected to restock up WR and OL via draft.  Strike a gold in those areas in one plan? I don't know but they can cover his contract.

In FA we need to spend to reach cap floor.

Scenario 1. Why not spend on a player (Kirk) that may draw other free agents to us rather than over pay players (outside of the QB) to join the Jets and then use our draft picks on players that address needs after free agency. 

Scenario 2. If we decide to draft a QB we would still have to spend money in FA but there may be that added premium of overpaying free agents to convince them to join the jets AND then be forced to draft a QB that could still be a bust. It's not a great look to be going into a draft and have it known that we are trying to address the QB position while teams have the ammunition to bypass us to grab our QB. 

In Scenario 1. We reach the cap floor by overpaying a veteran QB and acquire some pieces in FA. We are left with 3 picks in the top 50 and can take the best players available to fill other holes.

In Scenario 2. We reach the cap floor by overpaying free agents at positions of need with the promise of drafting a future QB. We draft a QB in the top 6 (maybe an earlier pick to get "our guy" (who knows if that costs us something)) We are left with at least 2 picks in the top 50 barring we don't need to trade up and our positions of need are known going into the draft. 

20 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Haha. 

I think it has more to do that Jets fans are desperate for a QB that can be the face of the franchise. Cousins is the first option at the moment. If we miss out on Cousins, I'm pretty sure this hysteria will transfer over to the draft. 

I get it man. I’m starving for a QB also. But there’s something about Cousins I just can’t shake. I mean if he was surely “elite” and deserved 100m GTD you’d think he would be able to beat some good teams, which he just hasn’t done. 

If we just had 1 more loss and a top 3 pick, crazy how different things would be. 

31 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

They can make it happen if both parties want it. There could also be non football reasons involved. I honestly think a lot of it has to do with the fact they are just a more competent, highly regarded franchise and this is the Jets.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I know it’s ridiculous. Why would we want an opportunity to have a franchise qb. We are doing more than fine as we are. And like you pointed out we will need to keep money back for Leo and the two safeties we drafted only last year. With Cousins getting all the salary cap it will leave us bare. I don’t know why we don’t keep doing what we’ve been doing and sign veteran journeyman added with a host of young QBs we’ve never developed. 

Whats the saying..if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! Why would we even try to fix something that clearly has been so successful for us! ?

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Keep in mind they have to shed cap space to get Cousins with DT88 being one of the guys they probably have to trade or release. I don't see trading your #1 WR being enticing for Cousins.

I think the big picture that people need to look at is that Cousins and still having the 6th pick as well as even the 37th pick is way more valuable than just getting a QB in the draft. I've already stated several times that it's literally a no brainer to go for Cousins. Whether he chooses us or not, is a whole other story.

Franchise QB and still holding the 6th and 37th pick >>>>>>>>>>> Trading up and getting our guy with the 3rd pick.

Franchise QB and still holding the 6th and 37th >>>>>>>>>> Drafting whatever QB falls to us at 6.

47 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

In FA we need to spend to reach cap floor.

Scenario 1. Why not spend on a player (Kirk) that may draw other free agents to us rather than over pay players (outside of the QB) to join the Jets and then use our draft picks on players that address needs after free agency. 

Scenario 2. If we decide to draft a QB we would still have to spend money in FA but there may be that added premium of overpaying free agents to convince them to join the jets AND then be forced to draft a QB that could still be a bust. It's not a great look to be going into a draft and have it known that we are trying to address the QB position while teams have the ammunition to bypass us to grab our QB. 

In Scenario 1. We reach the cap floor by overpaying a veteran QB and acquire some pieces in FA. We are left with 3 picks in the top 50 and can take the best players available to fill other holes.

In Scenario 2. We reach the cap floor by overpaying free agents at positions of need with the promise of drafting a future QB. We draft a QB in the top 6 (maybe an earlier pick to get "our guy" (who knows if that costs us something)) We are left with at least 2 picks in the top 50 barring we don't need to trade up and our positions of need are known going into the draft. 

Should also be noted that guys who can make a big impact on this team in FA are more than likely not going anywhere. So to not sign Cousins and say we can just spend 75mill elsewhere is not easy. What will come on that is overpaying a bunch of tier 2 and 3 talents bc the Tier 1 talents aren't going anywhere. Guys like Bell, Lawrence, Ansah and probably even more guys are more than likely staying put. We literally will have to sign 5-7 tier 2 and 3 guys if that's the case to hit the cap floor. Where the alternative is signing Cousins with still having enough money to go get Jensen or Richburg at C, still have enough money to go get Norwell or Mowhert at LG and still have money to get a CB as well.

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

I know it’s ridiculous. Why would we want an opportunity to have a franchise qb. We are doing more than fine as we are. And like you pointed out we will need to keep money back for Leo and the two safeties we drafted only last year. With Cousins getting all the salary cap it will leave us bare. I don’t know why we don’t keep doing what we’ve been doing and sign veteran journeyman added with a host of young QBs we’ve never developed. 

Whats the saying..if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! Why would we even try to fix something that clearly has been so successful for us! ?

A “franchise QB” that’s never gotten his franchise a playoff win. Let’s make him the highest paid player in NFL history!

Its not his fault his career record is below .500 and his record against winning teams is like .300. That’s all the Redskins incompetence right?

11 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

A “franchise QB” that’s never gotten his franchise a playoff win. Let’s make him the highest paid player in NFL history!

Its not his fault his career record is below .500 and his record against winning teams is like .300. That’s all the Redskins incompetence right?

The word said Cousins could take the heavier Stafford contract from Broncos.  If it comes out true then Jetskid and his followers will be in the mental hospital. Front loading contract may mean nothing to Cousins.  Can't wait to find out in March.

Archived