Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

Redskins have been very unprofessional in the way they’ve handled Cousins for starters. Last thing they want to do is tag and trade him to look even worse imo. Now there is a situation where what you are saying could work. But the price would be significantly less. Redskins want to save their bad image? Go to Cousins and ask him what team he wants to join. Let’s say it is the Jets (I hope he’s a Jet), then trade him to NY for nothing. Maybe a 4th Rounder or something. I still think it’s far fetched though. Why even if Cousins wants to be a Jet would he not just want to be an UFA and see every teams pitch to him? People are forgetting Cousins holds the cards. Washington can’t afford him there for if they tag him Cousins can either sign the tag (which he won’t do) and really screw over Washington bc they don’t have money for that. Or he drags out not signing it and Washington has to rescind the offer (which makes the whole process pointless and looks really bad for the organization). My guess is Cousins becomes an UFA does a handful of visits and chooses either the Jets or the Broncos. And quite frankly we are the front runner bc we have money and don’t need to cut star players to create that cap space to get him like Denver does. We will see.  

6 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Alex Smith may not be great & just a game manager. But he managed to take a 2-14 chiefs team & help turn them into playoff caliber team.

Obviously the chiefs are talented, but he did his job.

If Cousins is so awesome, why have we gone 9-7, 8-7-1 & 7-9 the last 3 yrs with a legend like Kirk?

Is it all injury team related?

we've got worse...with him at the helm. Doesn't sound like a QB that can elevate his team to me.

If I could put money on it, I would bet that Alex Smith will never take you to the playoffs as a Redskin.  QB has never been your problem.  Management, injuries, and atrocious defenses has.  

14 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

If I could put money on it, I would bet that Alex Smith will never take you to the playoffs as a Redskin.  QB has never been your problem.  Management, injuries, and atrocious defenses has.  

To be fair, we have have 2 of those 3 problems. And the other is beyond our control.

Signing him in one thing. But to give up assets to do it, that’s a road the Jets should not take. But for some reason I can absolutely see Mac doing it.

7 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

To be fair, we have have 2 of those 3 problems. And the other is beyond our control.

Signing him in one thing. But to give up assets to do it, that’s a road the Jets should not take. But for some reason I can absolutely see Mac doing it.

I don’t fully agree. I’m for trading for him bc that guarantees us getting him and locking him up long term. But to give up any sort of valuable picks I just don’t see happening. I wouldn’t give up anything more than a 4th Rounder of worse.

don't you guys have an extra 2nd rounder?

going from #6 to 13 & trading away a 3rd, would not be that big a deal.

you could stay @13 & probably land a guy like M. Fitzpatrick or that Safety that's a stud. ( if your team is targeting secondary) hypothetically...

trade down at the top of the 2nd & recoup that 3rd rounder & your back to normal.

or maybe get Vita Vea @13

lots of good players there @13.

9 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

don't you guys have an extra 2nd rounder?

going from #6 to 13 & trading away a 3rd, would not be that big a deal.

you could stay @13 & probably land a guy like M. Fitzpatrick or that Safety that's a stud. ( if your team is targeting secondary) hypothetically...

trade down at the top of the 2nd & recoup that 3rd rounder & your back to normal.

or maybe get Vita Vea @13

lots of good players there @13.

It’s not happening. Your not getting that kind of compensation.

and Fitzpatrick at 13? Jets drafting another safety? Lol

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t fully agree. I’m for trading for him bc that guarantees us getting him and locking him up long term. But to give up any sort of valuable picks I just don’t see happening. I wouldn’t give up anything more than a 4th Rounder of worse.

Doesn’t make sense for them to do that. Don’t they get a higher comp pick just letting him go?

50 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Management yes, injuries aren't a huge problem, nor have our defenses been atrocious in a few years.  Our defense is also trending in the right direction, Redskins' D is not.

12 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Doesn’t make sense for them to do that. Don’t they get a higher comp pick just letting him go?

If we are active in FA, like I expect us to be?

No, we would not get a 3rd round compensatory pick.

So even getting just a high 4th rounder in a trade, would be worth it for Skins.

and still be active in FA.

But what if say Browns, Jets, Buffalo & Arizona are interested in trading for Cousins on a Tag?

Maybe they believe they would have a difficult time landing Cousins in FA.

Competing with the likes of Denver, Minnesota, Jacksonville? Who may not have the cap, but are playoff ready teams?

4 teams trying to offer up a package, to land Cousins in a trade?

I believe the Redskins would do better than a 4th rounder.

It will be very interesting to see what happens.

We also have to consider Cousins weighing his success, by the division he goes to as well.

Denver in the west would be tough.

vs KC, oak & Chargers.

NFC west would be very tough

Sea, Rams & niners

playing in the AFC east, though

there's patriots and...well, that's it & all its been for nearly 20 yrs.

oh...and jets have green...lol

Cousins went to Michigan St. Also green...

it fits like a glove! Lol

you guys are getting him & you know it! Lol

45 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Management yes, injuries aren't a huge problem, nor have our defenses been atrocious in a few years.  Our defense is also trending in the right direction, Redskins' D is not.

Our defense was worse than Washingtons last year, so this makes no sense. I also don’t see how our defense is trending up and theirs is trending down but whatever.

9 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I saw this thread & had to chime in.

I agree with the OP 100%! I too, think Cousins will be a Jet.

However, it wont be from Kirk as a FA. I think the Redskins Tag & Trade Cousins to the Jets. Where they will have an agreement in place.

I also believe like Skins/Alex smith, that the Jets will also extend Cousins for a long term deal.

Compensation?

Don't worry, the Franchise Tag wont cost (2) first rd picks.

But it will cost of swapping 1st rd picks

Redskins get #6

Jets get #13

it will also cost the jets 3rd rounder & Matt Forte.

my prediction anyways...

I hope you guys get him.

Your discounting Cousins part in this process and leverage.  If Skins were to tag and trade him - Cousins is going to be a big influence as to where he goes and thus take leverage away from Washington in getting anything of value.  Your dream above is very unrealistic. 

1) Cousins has shown he will play under the tag

2) if Washington looks to trade him to a team he is not interested in being with long term - well see #1

3) Since Cousins is ok playing under the tag, if the team Washington wants to trade him to can't work out a long term deal they won't trade anything of value

So - the tag and trade option was off the table the moment Washington traded for Smith.  They have no leverage with Cousins or in a trade, can't risk Cousins immediately signing the tag and would look pretty bad to future players on their roster.

Cousins is going to be a UFA and sign where he wants.

32 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

But what if say Browns, Jets, Buffalo & Arizona are interested in trading for Cousins on a Tag?

Maybe they believe they would have a difficult time landing Cousins in FA.

Competing with the likes of Denver, Minnesota, Jacksonville? Who may not have the cap, but are playoff ready teams?

4 teams trying to offer up a package, to land Cousins in a trade?

I believe the Redskins would do better than a 4th rounder.

It will be very interesting to see what happens.

We also have to consider Cousins weighing his success, by the division he goes to as well.

Denver in the west would be tough.

vs KC, oak & Chargers.

NFC west would be very tough

Sea, Rams & niners

playing in the AFC east, though

there's patriots and...well, that's it & all its been for nearly 20 yrs.

oh...and jets have green...lol

Cousins went to Michigan St. Also green...

it fits like a glove! Lol

you guys are getting him & you know it! Lol

It’s not happening bud, sorry

Cousins would have you by the balls if they tagged him

Archived