Titans Select RB Tyjae Spears Pick #81

615finest

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Which is why you don't spend a third round pick on someone that plays that position and doesn't have an ACL.

This is my thought. I'm fine with going the cheap 3 year RB route and then moving on.

A 3rd round pick isn't cheap. Salary isn't the only investment.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Which is why you don't spend a third round pick on someone that plays that position and doesn't have an ACL.

I don't get the problem I guess.

Looking at the draft results about 3-4 RBs went per round from Round 3 on.

Round 3 had the most RB's taken in the whole draft (4). The league values RB's at that spot. 
And the ACL again, sounding very cold, who cares if he doesn't reach contract 2. Draft another in that same area. 

If he only gives you 2 good years, then so be it. 
RB is a very disposable position, unfortunately.

If he is injured, then go get another Foreman/Hillard and keep plugging away. 

If he ends not being able to play consistently, then your point is made. But he played 12 and 14 games the last two years. 
If he can do similar in more a RB by a committee type role for the next 4 years then I think that's a win. 

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

This is my thought. I'm fine with going the cheap 3 year RB route and then moving on.

A 3rd round pick isn't cheap. Salary isn't the only investment.

I think it just shows how much we value running also the lack of later round picks. 

Seattle spent an 2nd on a pick when they have a very good back in Walker. 
I guess I just see it differently. No biggie. 

If he goes down, I know the forum will be full of "I told ya'll so."

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I think it just shows how much we value running also the lack of later round picks. 

Seattle has actual receivers.  And spent a first round pick on another receiver.  And doesn't have the worst injury issues in the league over the last two years.  And people also said that wasn't a great pick.

There's nothing wrong with spending a third round pick on a running back.  But the fit is bad, and the ignoring bigger needs is worse.

Just now, Daniel said:

Seattle has actual receivers.  And spent a first round pick on another receiver.  And doesn't have the worst injury issues in the league over the last two years.  And people also said that wasn't a great pick.

There's nothing wrong with spending a third round pick on a running back.  But the fit is bad, and the ignoring bigger needs is worse.

Don't think it's a bad fit personally.

I'm with everyone, I wanted a WR there. 

I do think the fanbase just needs to accept, at least for now, Vrabel doesn't value the WR the same way. I think he hates real vet WRs, because they don't want to block. He wants young impressionable WRs that will do it the way he wants. 

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Probably. The only real prediction for future injuries is past injuries, which is why it's a major red flag.

He played on it all year, so maybe it's a non-issue and he's good for a couple years after Henry and then we move on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Probably. The only real prediction for future injuries is past injuries, which is why it's a major red flag.

He played on it all year, so maybe it's a non-issue and he's good for a couple years after Henry and then we move on.

I did go back and listen to the press conference. It seems they have an injury predictor model (analytics) going on that is new to the team. Hopeful they understand likelihood of future injuries better than they did with Farley. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Don't think it's a bad fit personally.

I'm with everyone, I wanted a WR there. 

I do think the fanbase just needs to accept, at least for now, Vrabel doesn't value the WR the same way. I think he hates real vet WRs, because they don't want to block. He wants young impressionable WRs that will do it the way he wants. 

If by accept, you mean live with, sure, but if by accept, you mean not criticize, then no.  It's ok to value receivers less than the league mean, it's not OK to pretend they don't matter at all.  Vrabel will not last as a head coach if the plan, forever and ever, is to just march out there with one good (maybe) receiver and hope that the eight games they're healthy for are in the playoff push.

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I do think the fanbase just needs to accept, at least for now, Vrabel doesn't value the WR the same way.

not really easy to ask a fanbase to accept that our head coach does not care about one of the most important factors for actually winning games in the modern nfl

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If by accept, you mean live with, sure, but if by accept, you mean not criticize, then no.  It's ok to value receivers less than the league mean, it's not OK to pretend they don't matter at all.  Vrabel will not last as a head coach if the plan, forever and ever, is to just march out there with one good (maybe) receiver and hope that the eight games they're healthy for are in the playoff push.

No, not saying not criticize, exactly. Maybe more the frustratingly live with it. lol 
I just don't ever see us stacking the position 4-5 deep with 1st, 2nd and high value FA's. 

I think we got a good enough sample size to see he will not put an extremely high value at that position.  Maybe it was Robinson forcing Julio, Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor and Arthur Brown on us for the better?

I dunno. 

If we weren't going to take a WR high this year, I don't know when we will ever. 

9 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

not really easy to ask a fanbase to accept that our head coach does not care about one of the most important factors for actually winning games in the modern nfl

Yeah. I just described it as frustratingly live with it. 

He seems to be taking a Patriots mindset at the WR spot. I mean really go look at their history. lol I just did and their draft history at WR is worst than ours. How they ever managed to pass the ball more than 15 yards is amazing. lol 

13 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

No, not saying not criticize, exactly. Maybe more the frustratingly live with it. lol 
I just don't ever see us stacking the position 4-5 deep with 1st, 2nd and high value FA's. 

I think we got a good enough sample size to see he will not put an extremely high value at that position.  Maybe it was Robinson forcing Julio, Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor and Arthur Brown on us for the better?

I dunno. 

If we weren't going to take a WR high this year, I don't know when we will ever. 

And if that were their position, that's fine.  But we need more than 1 deep, and it's really, really obvious.

And on your last sentence, I agree completely.  I don't understand, at all, not addressing the position until the seventh with a flier.  And it makes me really pessimistic about the future of this team.  If they won't change the approach for receivers, when it's probably the biggest single need on the entire roster, why should we have faith that they'll change anything else that's not working?

What I'm hoping is that, despite all the press conferences saying otherwise, they see this year as a mulligan, and are setting the foundations for a long term rebuild.  Which of course, just makes the Levis pick more frustrating, because if that's the philosophy, we either skip out on a QB next year when Levis inevitably shows next to nothing, or we make him irrelevant by drafting a top QB next year.

Hell, maybe they're just gonna hope that if we suck and pick high, Marvin Harrison Jr. is our answer.

The 49ers is the ideal team we should be modeled after. Like us, they’ve value RB over WRs in the draft. Just looking at their top three WRs last year, it was Deebo(3rd rounder), Aiyuk(1st), Jauan Jennings (7th). Then, Kittle and McCaffery as their other passing options.

In their Super Bowl year their top three WRs were Deebo, 32 year old Emmanuel Sanders and Kendrick Bourne(UDFA). Kittle and Kyle Juszczyk rounded out the rest of the top pass catchers.

In an ideal, absolute best case scenario world for us, Burks is the first round WR(like Aiyuk), Colton Dowell is the late round find(Jennings/Bourne), some combination of our RBs gives us similar McCaffrey like production and Chig becomes our Kittle. Just need to find our Deebo now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

The 49ers is the ideal team we should be modeled after. Like us, they’ve value RB over WRs in the draft. Just looking at their top three WRs last year, it was Deebo(3rd rounder), Aiyuk(1st), Jauan Jennings (7th). Then, Kittle and McCaffery as their other passing options.

In their Super Bowl year their top three WRs were Deebo, 32 year old Emmanuel Sanders and Kendrick Bourne(UDFA). Kittle and Kyle Juszczyk rounded out the rest of the top pass catchers.

In an ideal, absolute best case scenario world for us, Burks is the first round WR(like Aiyuk), Colton Dowell is the late round find(Jennings/Bourne), some combination of our RBs gives us similar McCaffrey like production and Chig becomes our Kittle. Just need to find our Deebo now.

Yep. I have thought this to be the model. I think Ran comes from a space where he really depends on late round guys based on his scouting and eye. Get one 1st rounder. get another mid level guy. Fill it out with late round guys.