4.116 - Colby Wooden [DL; Auburn]

CWood21

35 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How many guys have to get hurt before he falls into your top 4/5 guys in the pressure package?

As IDL goes the Packers have Clark and Wyatt, Van Ness will get reps inside the OT, but there is room for a rookie to get rotational reps. And yes Preston Smith, Enagbare, Hollins are all pieces for pressure packages, but some of those guys are never moving inside. 

Gary in all likelihood starts the year on the PUP giving more room for a rookie to get a toe hold. 

19 hours ago, R T said:

As IDL goes the Packers have Clark and Wyatt, Van Ness will get reps inside the OT, but there is room for a rookie to get rotational reps. And yes Preston Smith, Enagbare, Hollins are all pieces for pressure packages, but some of those guys are never moving inside. 

Gary in all likelihood starts the year on the PUP giving more room for a rookie to get a toe hold. 

If you have to rush 5, your 5 is pretty clearly going to be Clark, Wyatt, Gary, Preston, Van Ness. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you have to rush 5, your 5 is pretty clearly going to be Clark, Wyatt, Gary, Preston, Van Ness. 

The Eagles had 4 guys with 10+ sacks last year, 5 guys with 7+ and 6 guys with 4+. I'm not going to complain about having 5-6 guys who have the ability to get pressure on the QB. Hell, I'll take 10. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not sure how to draw it up, but....

If we want the best pressure package out there, we need to rush Wooden next to Cox, don't we?

K.  I apologize.  I probably need to go home soon.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'd like Quay to be on that rush list too. One of the best athletes in the team. Why are we speaking like this is bad? If your 4th round rookie is being counted on as a key member of your pressure package, you probably aren't good.

Brooks and Wooden both just need to rock up to a strong 290, focus on the weight room moreso than the field. Both guys played out of position for their teams and hurt their draft stock. This year should be a focus on being the best for their pro roles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not convinced KC is a top 5 pressure package guy anymore.

He's a great candidate to replace with fresh juice on pressure downs (Wooden? Brooks? Slayton?)

Gary, LVN, Wyatt are the clearest 3 (assuming Wyatt is a player). Until Gary is healthy, I'm also not convinced that Preston will be a better option over Enagbare or a surprise EDGE standout from camp.

KC and Preston are best value on 1st and 2nd downs. Need some more juice on our pressure packages.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd like Quay to be on that rush list too. One of the best athletes in the team. Why are we speaking like this is bad? If your 4th round rookie is being counted on as a key member of your pressure package, you probably aren't good.

Brooks and Wooden both just need to rock up to a strong 290, focus on the weight room moreso than the field. Both guys played out of position for their teams and hurt their draft stock. This year should be a focus on being the best for their pro roles.

Let them focus on a specialized role in the field: pressure package

They both have interior pass-rushing ability. And we have a huge hole there on this team. We were downright BAD there last year. This defense needs a lot more juice there. Not a surprise we got two guys who excelled at interior pass rushing in college. We're going to give them every opportunity to show that skill translate IMO.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

Really, I think what's more important than " your best pass rushing package is good"  is that you don't dramatically drop in effectiveness when one or more of your pass rush guys is not on the field for whatever reason.

This. Need to keep guys fresh. Our EDGE depth could be really really good if we have some hits there:

Gary, LVN, Enagbare, Preston, Hollins, Cox, Garvin

I'm hoping Enagbare takes a big step and steals Preston's snaps so Preston looks more efficient per snap and we can trade him.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Not convinced KC is a top 5 pressure package guy anymore.

.... (assuming Wyatt is a player). ...

Agree, KC isn't much of a pressure guy if it's 3rd and longish.  

I'm hesitant to assume Wyatt will be a good pressure guy.  He's an athletic chaser, but will he actually provide pressure very often?  I hope so, but he's got some proving to do.  

"Pressure package" is not something you can play a lot, anyway.  Given Barry's scheme and spacing, and given that neither Wyatt nor Wooden nor Brooks seem to be run-stop anchor guys, we're going to play a lot of 1st and 2nd downs where teams can run if they want; or pass if they want. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

The Eagles had 4 guys with 10+ sacks last year, 5 guys with 7+ and 6 guys with 4+. I'm not going to complain about having 5-6 guys who have the ability to get pressure on the QB. Hell, I'll take 10. 

Which of those 5 were undersized UTs without an anchor?

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not sure how to draw it up, but....

If we want the best pressure package out there, we need to rush Wooden next to Cox, don't we?

K.  I apologize.  I probably need to go home soon.

It's the pressure package. You're rolling it out on 3rd and 9. Who cares where anybody lines up. They don't have run responsibilities. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which of those 5 were undersized UTs without an anchor?

Clark, Slaton and Ford can anchor. When Wooden is on the field, we won't care about whether he can anchor or not. We'll care about him blowing past the OG and sacking the QB. 

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Quay is certainly going to be on the field. 

I agree 100% with your work plan for Brooks and Wooden. I just have very little confidence that even executing that work plan perfectly that they're going to be anything more than back end of the rotation DL. 

Which is fine. That's pretty normal for 4th round picks. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Clark, Slaton and Ford can anchor. When Wooden is on the field, we won't care about whether he can anchor or not. We'll care about him blowing past the OG and sacking the QB. 

Which of the 5 players on the Eagles remotely fit the physical profile of Wooden? 

The Eagles 7+ sack guys are their starting 4 DL, and their freak athlete hybrid LB. 

If you're putting Wooden on the field on 3rd and 9, somebody is hurt, and likely more than somebody, as at this stage in the game you're likely to see Slaton get a shot.