NFC North Rivals Discussion Thread

Ty21

44 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He’s the most established receiving threat for sure, but you may be overstating the level to which other teams will see the need to double him. He had 611 yards last year as a rookie, but more than half of that was in 3 games. In the other 11 games in which he played he had 290 receiving yards. He should improve as most 2nd year players should, but I don’t think I’d say he’s reached the point where he’s dictating coverage like that yet. 

He was injured in camp and never really had reps with Aaron.  Then he got injured after playing early in the year.

He's been healthy this off-season so far.

We criminally underused him against the Lions.  Not sure what Rodgers was thinking, as Watson was open a whole lot that game and saw darned few balls.

First year yards for GB WR's...

Jennings 632.

Nelson 366.

Cobb 375.

Adams 446.

Watson 611.

Different situations for those guys, and we know that Watson was hurt for enough of his rookie season.  But there is reason to expect him to be very, very good.

And...if you are in a fantasy football league, I feel like Watson will be overdrafted.  Snag Doubs at the end of the draft and I think you will have a good "sleeper".

Finally....Mooney does not suck, at all.  No one on the GB thread has said that, or insinuated that.  Much respect for him.

1 hour ago, GOGRIESE said:

Is Jordan Love having that good of a camp where they aren't going to miss a beat and now he'll win MVP like Mahomes did? 

From what I've heard the results have been mixed. I'm sure he's going to play quite a bit tomorrow. 

Depends on who you are listening to.

By all accounts, his camp started slowly and he's gotten better with most every practice.

The vets all seem behind him, 100%.  As well they should.

Also?  He's not Rodgers.  He's not going to be that polished in this camp.  But it sure sounds like the arm talent is showing up at every practice.  Also?  The lack of awareness is showing up as well.  Which is to be expected.

And no, he's not winning the MVP or throwing for 50 TD's.  I think most of us would consider it a "win" if he could replicate most of Rodgers' numbers from last year.  Though he will probably have more INTs.

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I was just in GB recently for first time last weekend for a wedding.   I have to admit I like the area.

I could see myself living there.  

Horrible place to live as a young single person.  (Been there, done that.)

Great place to raise a family.

Great place to vacation as well.  Especially north.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Finally....Mooney does not suck, at all.  No one on the GB thread has said that, or insinuated that.  Much respect for him.

Most of the Mooney detractors detract because he’s not a #1 receiver. That’s really the only contention here. He has #1 moments but he’s not a #1 wr. 

Also, yards is totally arbitrary in a Watson support post. A good chunk of it came in garbage time, like that easy drag route where he went for like 60 just by running west and north. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Depends on who you are listening to.

By all accounts, his camp started slowly and he's gotten better with most every practice.

The vets all seem behind him, 100%.  As well they should.

Also?  He's not Rodgers.  He's not going to be that polished in this camp.  But it sure sounds like the arm talent is showing up at every practice.  Also?  The lack of awareness is showing up as well.  Which is to be expected.

And no, he's not winning the MVP or throwing for 50 TD's.  I think most of us would consider it a "win" if he could replicate most of Rodgers' numbers from last year.  Though he will probably have more INTs.

Fair enough. Sounds like a typical rookie QB without actually being a rookie but he's had very little game experience. 

I think your probably right most of you would take that as a win stat wise. But you know if he performs close to that he's going to get blasted in the media non stop. It's kind of a crap situation for him because I think the outside expectations for him that I've seen are much greater than fans on this forum might have. 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Most of the Mooney detractors detract because he’s not a #1 receiver. That’s really the only contention here. He has #1 moments but he’s not a #1 wr. 

Also, yards is totally arbitrary in a Watson support post. A good chunk of it came in garbage time, like that easy drag route where he went for like 60 just by running west and north. 

Watson, respectfully, I disagree. His breakout game came against a big game against our former coach, now in Dallas.

That drag route was against a very soft and deep shell.  He made angles disappear.  They were a ton of guys deep on that play that had angles on him.  And he made this disappear.  It was a great play call and great execution.   And it doesn't happen unless there is an athlete like Watson catching that ball. (for us)

It is rare to find a receiver as large as Watson, who can run as fast as Watson and who has the acceleration of Watson.  The kid is an athletic freak.  His 40 time was a shade over 4.3, but that was after it was adjusted.  Many timed him in the 4.2's.  What impresses me most about him is just how quickly he can get to that gear.  He's just different than what we've seen at WR.  Some say he's like Moss.  Not sure I'd hand out that praise, cuz Randy was one of the GOATS at the position.  And Watson doesn't high point or catch like Randy...at least not yet.

I don't care what label you put on Mooney.  WR1, WR2, WR3....etc.  Dude's a player and a feared player.  He's put up decent to good to great stats with you despite having "meh" at QB.  There's what, maybe 3 WR's in the division that you'd rather have over Mooney right now?  (Watson isn't one of them...yet.)  Moore.  Jefferson.  ARSB?  And I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have Mooney over ARSB...either way, it's close.

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

is there somewhere to take her out for a nice seafood dinner up there?

Not really.  But she can do some damage at an Olive Garden.  Which is fine dining in GB.....  But you have to make sure you don't call her afterwards.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Fair enough. Sounds like a typical rookie QB without actually being a rookie but he's had very little game experience. 

I think your probably right most of you would take that as a win stat wise. But you know if he performs close to that he's going to get blasted in the media non stop. It's kind of a crap situation for him because I think the outside expectations for him that I've seen are much greater than fans on this forum might have. 

Man, I don't know about what you posted.  

Love, by all accounts, even Bengals players, is processing the game quicker right now.  I guess we will see soon enough, but he really looks like a kid who has talent, yet sat and learned from a great one.  

The thing I remember most about his Chiefs game was his decision making.  He was getting to second and third reads.  He was just getting too slowly and balls were late.  And that game was two seasons ago.

But I do get this point concerning his stats from last year.  Most were garbage time when the defenses were in a deep shell.  Eagles gave us a few different looks, for sure, but his other stuff was just pure mop up duty.

I was more or less "sold" on Love when he had Aaron Jones drop a pass on the right sideline against a cover 2. Love put that ball right where it needed to be, in the soft spot, and on a rope.  Jones dropped it because Rodgers couldn't throw that hard last season, due to the thumb.  Ball got on him quick.  Even though it was incomplete, it was a "wow" moment from me.

Expectations wise, club is saying all the right things, how they want to compete for the division, playoffs...etc.  But I think everyone knows this is a building year.  Even the front office.  We have the money to sign vets, but we've not done that because we are going through a youth movement.

But, we shall see.  

Cool thing about living in this state, wherever I go, folks are talking Packers.  I was at a McDonalds the other day and there were 5 old retired guys sitting around, drinking coffee and talking about the Packers.  They talked about how much of an unlikable d-bag Rodgers had become.  And each was excited to see something different under center.  Remember, GB fans think of the season this way....SB or bust.  And we know Rodgers wasn't capable of getting us to the big game any longer.  We don't know if Love can or cannot.  And I've heard that conversation a few times at a few different places.  

Love is certainly going to be under the microscope of the national tv "experts".  But locally, he's already loved.  The cheers for him at Family Night were very, very loud.  Fans are really behind him.

We shall see if that changes if a string of L's plays out.  But it isn't like the team didn't lose a lot last year, too.

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Man, I don't know about what you posted.  

Love, by all accounts, even Bengals players, is processing the game quicker right now.  I guess we will see soon enough, but he really looks like a kid who has talent, yet sat and learned from a great one.  

The thing I remember most about his Chiefs game was his decision making.  He was getting to second and third reads.  He was just getting too slowly and balls were late.  And that game was two seasons ago.

But I do get this point concerning his stats from last year.  Most were garbage time when the defenses were in a deep shell.  Eagles gave us a few different looks, for sure, but his other stuff was just pure mop up duty.

I was more or less "sold" on Love when he had Aaron Jones drop a pass on the right sideline against a cover 2. Love put that ball right where it needed to be, in the soft spot, and on a rope.  Jones dropped it because Rodgers couldn't throw that hard last season, due to the thumb.  Ball got on him quick.  Even though it was incomplete, it was a "wow" moment from me.

Expectations wise, club is saying all the right things, how they want to compete for the division, playoffs...etc.  But I think everyone knows this is a building year.  Even the front office.  We have the money to sign vets, but we've not done that because we are going through a youth movement.

But, we shall see.  

Cool thing about living in this state, wherever I go, folks are talking Packers.  I was at a McDonalds the other day and there were 5 old retired guys sitting around, drinking coffee and talking about the Packers.  They talked about how much of an unlikable d-bag Rodgers had become.  And each was excited to see something different under center.  Remember, GB fans think of the season this way....SB or bust.  And we know Rodgers wasn't capable of getting us to the big game any longer.  We don't know if Love can or cannot.  And I've heard that conversation a few times at a few different places.  

Love is certainly going to be under the microscope of the national tv "experts".  But locally, he's already loved.  The cheers for him at Family Night were very, very loud.  Fans are really behind him.

We shall see if that changes if a string of L's plays out.  But it isn't like the team didn't lose a lot last year, too.

We agree you just said it better than I did lol. He absolutely seems loved locally even a little on the irrational side but we're all like that to some extent with our QBs. I just think he's going to get so much crap early in the season if he struggles by the media it's just a shame. It's not his fault at all but you know the Farve and Rodgers comparisons are incoming and it's going to be an every week thing. 

Edited by GOGRIESE
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Not sure you had a tackle to Bakh's level or a guard at Jenkins level.  But outside of those two?  Yeah.  Our center has not lived up to his draft slot.  Our RG is average at best, though he is a solid pass blocker.  Our RT is still raw, but has amazing size/weight/height/RAS number.  (Honestly you should look at throwing coin at Nijman in FA next year.  He's still got a lot of potential left in him and we shouldn't re-sign him.)  And our backups are in the developmental stage.  So outside of the left side (if Bakh is healthy), yeah.  Bakh's health was fine towards the end of last season, and when he played, he was elite.  Word out of camp, from Bakh is that this is the first year in about 3 years where he's been able to use the off-season for rest and strength training so he can get through the season.  

That's fair about Bakhtiari and Jenkins, we did have Whitehair James Daniels and Tevin Jenkins. My point was more about reading your post and noticing  ALL of the questions you were highlighting. We've  had to do alot of mixing and matching and hoping with young JFields.

JLove will need a very good Oline.

10 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Love is going to be just fine.  The arm is there.  The feet are there.  The athlete is there. The training is there.  He just needs live reps.  

Tell your mom I'll be by later, save me a plate.

• Like 1