Round 5 Pick 140: DTR

LETSGOBROWNIES

19 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

We won't be able to afford Dobbs next year.  We'll have to have a youngster backing up Watson.

Yep, this whole draft has been about depth/ future starters and I’m ok with it.

Give him a season in which he is on the roster but doesn’t see the field. There is definitely tools to work with 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s a smaller Anthony Richardson. Kid is absolutely fierce as a runner and has a very strong arm. He can absolutely be one of the best backup QBs in the NFL.

He’s also really good friends with Watson and they work out together.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Looks like an ideal pick in terms of taking a chance on a developmental prospect (likely backup) QB at this point in the draft. Something we haven't done in a long time, and I'm excited to see if Stef & AVP can mold this block of clay.

Who was the last real developmental guy we took?  Even guys like Frye as a 3rd rounder were starting awfully soon and not due to injury.

I didn’t like him as a quarterback prospect, and it has nothing to do with us taking him or who our general manager is. I watched him at times last season. He had really good moments, and then the next drive he would look like he didn’t even belong out there. I didn’t know what he was looking at, with some really bad interceptions, some really inaccurate throws, etc. Really good athlete, and the potential is there, but I’m not sure he’s even a number 2 caliber guy this first season. Maybe he will become that.

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I didn’t like him as a quarterback prospect, and it has nothing to do with us taking him or who our general manager is. I watched him at times last season. He had really good moments, and then the next drive he would look like he didn’t even belong out there. I didn’t know what he was looking at, with some really bad interceptions, some really inaccurate throws, etc. Really good athlete, and the potential is there, but I’m not sure he’s even a number 2 caliber guy this first season. Maybe he will become that.

Just thinking scenario wise-

If Watson got hurt in a game, we could call this kid in and just run some gimmicky stuff because of his athleticism. You could do some zone read and some RPO stuff.

22 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who was the last real developmental guy we took?  Even guys like Frye as a 3rd rounder were starting awfully soon and not due to injury.

I hate to bring him up, but...Spurgeon Wynn, maybe?

• Like 1