2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

@WindyCity I don't think Indy wants to risk losing out on Barkley/Chubb/Nelson. If they trade down again they'll get ripped for not landing a top tier talent at pick #3.

Tampa needs secondary help, I think James or Fitzpatrick is their pick.

Our sell job would have to be pitting Miami and Buffalo against each other, and again that's assuming a QB falls. I heard Miami loves Mayfield.

36 minutes ago, G08 said:

@WindyCity I don't think Indy wants to risk losing out on Barkley/Chubb/Nelson. If they trade down again they'll get ripped for not landing a top tier talent at pick #3.

One player won't help that team. They are talentless. They may have been worse than the Browns last year. That TNF game against Denver was absolutely embarrassing to watch. While missing out on Chubb, Barkley or Nelson wouldn't be ideal, stock piling picks would be, and at 11 or 12, they could still get a guy like Davenport, Edmunds, Smith or Ward.

Tampa needs secondary help, I think James or Fitzpatrick is their pick.

Or Ward. He's definitely an alpha/leader, something that Tampa's secondary definitely lacks.

Our sell job would have to be pitting Miami and Buffalo against each other, and again that's assuming a QB falls. I heard Miami loves Mayfield.

Or Arizona, who I can see wanting to get to 8 or 11 for Lamar Jackson. I think he's about to sky rocket up boards and honestly, I can see him going before Baker.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

BTW, I'm roaming the Packers message board and someone on there said that they heard/read that Key's issue at LSU was he got addicted to opioids after his shoulder issue but it has since been resolved.

Been down that road myself after my first ACL surgery. Hope if this is true the kid got away completely from that mess. 

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Been down that road myself after my first ACL surgery. Hope if this is true the kid got away completely from that mess. 

Lost one of my closest friends April 30th, 2015 to it. I don’t think we’ll ever know for certain what the situation was but if he got help cudos to him. 

I will say, there is absolutely a 0% chance he’s on any hardcore opiate or opioid and performing some of the workouts he’s been doing on a Twitter. Zero.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, G08 said:

I can make an argument for Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Ward, Edmunds, Davenport, Landry and Smith all at #8.

I hate this.

See I think that’s a good thing. Usually we are complaining about having X good players when we are picking at pick X+1. I won’t be pleased with Nelson at 8 but that doesn’t mean I think it’d be a bad pick or that he’s a bad prospect. I’ll be surprised if it’s a DB though unless they don’t think they can afford an Amos extension. If they’re unsure on that then Minkah makes a ton of sense for nickel in 2018 and likely SS in 2019. 

Random thoughts:

I am intrigued as to where and how teams are going to play James, Fitzpatrick, and Edmunds and even Roquan Smith.

James played like 5 different positions including DE for FSU in 2 injury plagued seasons.  They didn't do him any favors.  I wonder if teams are thinking FS or SS with him.  

Edmunds played inside, but is built like an OLB.  I think teams are going to leave him at ILB.   

Fitz played slot corner, but people talk like he is going to play outside corner, SS or FS.  

Roquan Smith is a cat quick play-making tackling machine, but he got pancaked everytime he had to take on a block in college so can you play him inside in a 3-4?  He should thank God that teams don't really run FBs anymore and he was born to this era.  

Cleveland desperately needs a FS, if they took Fitz and played him at FS their defense will improve a ton in one year.  It doubly improves because then Peppers doesn't have to play out of position anymore.   However, how do you pass on Barkley who is a rare playmaking RB prospect?  Also have to pass on Chubb.  Tough call.  I wouldn't be shocked if they traded down again after 1.   I will be shocked if they don't take a QB at 1.  

There are some good corners in this draft that nobody is talking about.  Potential pro bowlers that may go in late 2nd or 3rd rounds or later if mocks are correct.

WRs are underwhelming, but watch 2 or 3 are going to be surprisingly good.  Last years were supposed to be all world, but largely disappointed.  Still think WR is hardest position to project.  Number of first round busts and really good ones going late or later seems to bare this out.    

I think RBs are undervalued just because there are so many pretty good ones and a later round rookie steps up nearly every year and does well even if he doesn't sustain it.  A good RB is still probably 2nd most valuable offensive player, just seemingly a lot of supply.   I think GMs over value their ability to find the diamonds in rough though out of hubris and ego.  Better off taking the Barkley's of the world early and know you have a good one.

There is no consensus on top QB in this draft.  That is usually not the case.  Be interesting to see which order they go and when.

Draft is too late in the year.  I want to know now.

20 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

See I think that’s a good thing. Usually we are complaining about having X good players when we are picking at pick X+1. I won’t be pleased with Nelson at 8 but that doesn’t mean I think it’d be a bad pick or that he’s a bad prospect. I’ll be surprised if it’s a DB though unless they don’t think they can afford an Amos extension. If they’re unsure on that then Minkah makes a ton of sense for nickel in 2018 and likely SS in 2019. 

Yes and no, to me it's because none of these dudes jumps out at me as a home run pick -- they all have flaws and I can make an argument for/against each one of them. Maybe the best thing for us is to trade back to 11 or 12 if we have the option. Pick up a 3rd round pick in the process and let the draft come to us.

Give up pick #115 and trade down to #11, draft Harold Landry and acquire pick #73. I'd be thrilled!

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There is no consensus on top QB in this draft.  That is usually not the case.  Be interesting to see which order they go and when.

Draft is too late in the year.  I want to know now.

Agreed, although reading the tea leaves I think Josh Allen goes #1 (and Sam Darnold goes #2).

I hate waiting this long for the MF'ing draft. This is torture at this point.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

This time of the year is my favorite- schedule should be out around 4/20 and then the draft at the end of the month. From the end of round 7 until July though, it's a bore.

That's when I dive into "scouting" NBA prospects for my God-awful Bulls.

17 minutes ago, G08 said:

Yes and no, to me it's because none of these dudes jumps out at me as a home run pick -- they all have flaws and I can make an argument for/against each one of them. Maybe the best thing for us is to trade back to 11 or 12 if we have the option. Pick up a 3rd round pick in the process and let the draft come to us.

Give up pick #115 and trade down to #11, draft Harold Landry and acquire pick #73. I'd be thrilled!

That’s my ideal situation. Move down a bit for Landry/Davenport. 

I heard Greg Gabriel talk about the premium it costs to move up for a quarterback. We might not have to give up a 4th to acquire Miami's 3rd. I like the idea of moving down a couple of spots to 11, 12, or maybe even 15 and acquiring more picks.   There's a good chance Edmunds/Landry/ or Davenport will still be available at those spots.  We can always come back and look at another possible pro bowler in Price in the second.

33 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

I heard Greg Gabriel talk about the premium it costs to move up for a quarterback. We might not have to give up a 4th to acquire Miami's 3rd. I like the idea of moving down a couple of spots to 11, 12, or maybe even 15 and acquiring more picks.   There's a good chance Edmunds/Landry/ or Davenport will still be available at those spots.  We can always come back and look at another possible pro bowler in Price in the second.

It would be ridiculous for the Bears to do that. The difference is only 75 points. If they want a QB bad enough, move up 3 spots and give up #73. Period. I realize #114 for the Bears would even it out, but a franchise QB is worth infinite.

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It would be ridiculous for the Bears to do that. The difference is only 75 points. If they want a QB bad enough, move up 3 spots and give up #73. Period. I realize #114 for the Bears would even it out, but a franchise QB is worth infinite.

For sure, my post was for the sake of "fair market value" on the trade chart.