2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

2 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

If we’re gonna have this whole discussion about how guards aren’t worth #8, we also have to admit that guys like Vea aren’t really worth it either.

I had multiple paragraphs typed up on this, but who cares, because not a whole lot of discussion is needed. Front seven players who aren’t must-plays on third downs don’t go in the top fifteen. There are loads of examples of this that I don’t even need to rattle off.

Ehh, I would have like'd to have read what you had to say, but that's cool. 

And that point is right for the most part. It does sort of depend on the team, though. 

22 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Ehh, I would have like'd to have read what you had to say, but that's cool. 

And that point is right for the most part. It does sort of depend on the team, though. 

Mostly I just referenced how guys like Fletcher Cox and Aaron Donald who are must-haves on the field for third downs were worth the pick, but we saw guys like Nix, A’Shawn Robinson, and Jarren Reed all slide after a lot of hype. Danny Shelton shouldn’t have gone first round. Even Jonathan Allen slipped to #17 after he was touted as a top three pick around conference championship time.

Front-seven defenders just don’t go first round if they’re not essential on third downs. See also: Reggie Ragland. Touted as a top ten pick early on, and then...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

If we’re gonna have this whole discussion about how guards aren’t worth #8, we also have to admit that guys like Vea aren’t really worth it either.

I had multiple paragraphs typed up on this, but who cares, because not a whole lot of discussion is needed. Front seven players who aren’t must-plays on third downs don’t go in the top fifteen. There are loads of examples of this that I don’t even need to rattle off.

Exactly what I've been saying. Third down is the money down. Being an elite run stuffer is great, but an elite passrusher is what can make the biggest impact.

7 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Well seems like a lot of folks think that Nelson will go #6 to the Colts or #7 to the Bucs.

Assuming the following guys are gone, who do you draft?

Darnold

Rosen

Barkley

Chubb

Allen

James

Denzel Ward?  Tremaine Edumunds?

I'm good with Davenport, Landry, and Edmunds. I have pretty much locked into EDGE, and then Edmunds just has a ton of talent and athletic ability to work with.

Having a typical lazy Sunday before Wrestlemania and started messing around with the idea of us trading way down in the draft with NE who are apparently loading up for a run at a QB and it suddenly hit me...we are all so locked in on us taking OLB help to improve our pass rush but what if we have it wrong? What if Pace & Fangio are actually after a 5 tech? It's the one thing we have been lacking in this defence for the longest time and in San Fran Aldon Smith was only as dominant due to the partnership he had with Justin Smith...what if the one way to get the best out of Leonard Floyd is to draft that complement pass rusher inside?...looking at the bottom of the 1st top of the 2nd and Rasheem Green really stands out as the perfect 5 tech for our D...Taven Bryan would also make a ton of sense...

Move down to the bottom of the 1st...get your OL to protect Tru...a playmaking ILB to lead the team in stops then with that 2nd round pick draft a 5 Tech to pair with Floyd on the weakside...strong side start Lynch and draft a high potential OLB in the mid rounds for Fangio to mold.

29 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Move down to the bottom of the 1st...get your OL to protect Tru...a playmaking ILB to lead the team in stops then with that 2nd round pick draft a 5 Tech to pair with Floyd on the weakside...strong side start Lynch and draft a high potential OLB in the mid rounds for Fangio to mold.

Not bad in theory, but I don't know which of the quarterbacks will be there at #8 for NE to come up and get. It also seems more their style to go for a later round QB anyway.

I've been riding the Bryan hype train since he was being looked at as a mid round at best pick. I'd love to add him here.

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Not bad in theory, but I don't know which of the quarterbacks will be there at #8 for NE to come up and get. It also seems more their style to go for a later round QB anyway.

With Tom Brady they can do that. They took Jimmy G in the 2nd to groom, and without him I could see Bill and Kraft knowing they need to get an heir sooner rather than later. They both know they lucked out with Brady, and they have zero chance of that happening again.

This would be a draft-day trade though for exactly why you said it. We have no clue who will be there but they may make a deal in principle and then come draft day, if the criteria is met, still pull the trigger. I doubt it, but it is worth noting.

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I see Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield all going top 10...could a team also reach on Jackson or Rudolph? Wouldn't shock me one bit.

43 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I see Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield all going top 10...could a team also reach on Jackson or Rudolph? Wouldn't shock me one bit.

I see Darnold, Allen, Rosen and Mayfield going top 6, maybe 7. I could see someone coming up for Jackson or Rudolph, just not Belichick. It would be cool if what you laid out before happened, though. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Having a typical lazy Sunday before Wrestlemania and started messing around with the idea of us trading way down in the draft with NE who are apparently loading up for a run at a QB and it suddenly hit me...we are all so locked in on us taking OLB help to improve our pass rush but what if we have it wrong? What if Pace & Fangio are actually after a 5 tech? It's the one thing we have been lacking in this defence for the longest time and in San Fran Aldon Smith was only as dominant due to the partnership he had with Justin Smith...what if the one way to get the best out of Leonard Floyd is to draft that complement pass rusher inside?...looking at the bottom of the 1st top of the 2nd and Rasheem Green really stands out as the perfect 5 tech for our D...Taven Bryan would also make a ton of sense...

Pace said they need a big year from RRH and Bullard. While I don’t think it’s out of the question to address 5T, I don’t think it’s going to happen in round 1. I am however starting to warm up to the idea of trading back, even if it’s way back.

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Pace said they need a big year from RRH and Bullard. While I don’t think it’s out of the question to address 5T, I don’t think it’s going to happen in round 1. I am however starting to warm up to the idea of trading back, even if it’s way back.

I don't think Bullard or RRH solves your pass rush issues...both are decent depth but finding another true difference maker next to Goldman & Hicks would be massive for us...top of the 2nd would be the sweet spot for me...love Green from USC in that range.

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think Bullard or RRH solves your pass rush issues...both are decent depth but finding another true difference maker next to Goldman & Hicks would be massive for us...top of the 2nd would be the sweet spot for me...love Green from USC in that range.

When I saw you quoted me I was going to come in here and mention Greene. As an SC fan I can tell you that he can be flat out dominant but I think his athleticism is still far ahead of his skill, but Fangio would be the guy to get that out of him.

By no means am I disagreeing that 5T is a need, but I don’t believe it’s a top 3 need nor do I believe Pace thinks it is. Based off of his comments I think they’ll roll with RRH, Bullard and a 4-5th rounder.

After the Marcus Davenport hype going around here I just watched his game vs Baylor and I am honestly baffled what he's doing there sometimes. It seems like he's trying to beat his opponent for 1 second and looks where the ball is afterwards.

0:47 bullrushes the RT, loses sight of the QB

2:14 has an open lane to the QB, slow to recognize it

4:17 looks surprised the RB tries to block him (kudos to the RB)

6:03 he lost sight of the ball again and tries to tackle the RB

Now I know he's young and has measurables like Aldon Smith but his measurables are really "only" very good and don't blow you out of the water.

So get me on the Davenport train without mentioning his measurables.

Edited by ColGerBear

The one player, not at the top of the draft that I want is James Daniels from Iowa. I really think he will be one of the better interior OLmen in this class. He is so athletic and long and moves so well. 

If we could do MMs trade down with NE and 

1(23) DE Taven Bryan

1(31) C James Daniels

Talk about building a bully in the trenches.

I am fine with a 5 technique if he can rush the passer from LE when they go 4-3.

RE: Floyd

NT: Goldman

DT: Hicks

LE: Someone who can rush the passer

Doesnt matter if he is a 6’6 250lbs OLB or a 6’5” 295lbs DE as long as he can generate some rush.