2024 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

6 hours ago, Blaze said:

I honestly don't care about the position they draft. Sure we all have preferences but I want them to go BPA. Keep stockpiling talent. It's what the good teams do.

Yeah, I'm good with that too. Trust your scouting and take the best guy on the board (assuming it ain't a QB). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, I'm good with that too. Trust your scouting and take the best guy on the board (assuming it ain't a QB). 

Expanding on this - BPA early isn't that bad of an idea, especially given that Nick Caserio can find some great value in later rounds, 3-7:

2023: Tank Dell, Dylan Horton, Henry To'o To'o, Jarrett Patterson, Xavier Hutchinson

2022: Christian Harris, Dameon Pierce, Teagan Quitoriano, Austin Deculus

2021: Nico Collins, Brevin Jordan

Each one of these guys has been key contributors - there is one starter from each class (two rookies, no less) and even an emerging star in Collins, who is flirting with top 10 production this season. 

Between this and some FA finds that make big impacts (Blake Cashman, Sheldon Rankins, Jimmie Ward, Steven Nelson, Noah Brown, Devin Singletary, Dalton Schultz) this team doesn't need to reach to fill a gap. They can find adequate options to fit and succeed. 

Outside of QB, the board is open. Take whoever is best.

• 2 weeks later...

Zak Zinter suffered a horrible injury on Saturday, but one that is very easy to make a full recovery from. If this dude slips to the 2nd round, Id go up early and get him. He's a day 1 starter in the league and as a rookie he should be ready to go by training camp, despite this injury. Breaks are much better than tears. 

Also, linebacker is an issue for us. I am not opposed to a Jeremiah Trotter Jr or Edgerrin Cooper in round 1 or 2 depending on where they fall on the board. 

someone had a mock that had us getting Trotter Jr and Kool-Aid in the first 2 rounds. I ain't mad about that at all. linebacker and secondary are needs. We cant keep plugging in UDFA in the secondary and think we are gonna be fine. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Zak Zinter suffered a horrible injury on Saturday, but one that is very easy to make a full recovery from. If this dude slips to the 2nd round, Id go up early and get him. He's a day 1 starter in the league and as a rookie he should be ready to go by training camp, despite this injury. Breaks are much better than tears. 

Any sort of lower body injuries to big (300lbs+) guys worries me. You're right in saying breaks are better than tears - assuming the break isn't compound in nature. From the sound of it, this is a broken tibia and fibula - that's a tough and long recovery where the muscle is going to atrophy, specifically the calf and hamstring. 

I personally wouldn't bank on this, especially given our history of injured OL.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

someone had a mock that had us getting Trotter Jr and Kool-Aid in the first 2 rounds.

I'd be perfectly fine with this.

I'm starting to come to the realization that Jalen Pitre is best served as the #2 S in a lineup. He's good, he's very athletic - but lately he's been a liability in both coverage and run support. I think a lot of the mental errors comes from Jimmie Ward and his injury, but I'm also of the mindset that another S gives us both an opportunity to groom the guy to take over when Ward ages out, as well as gives us the primary S next to Pitre - the guy who can actually be the do all guy, so Pitre isn't out of position or overly dependent on his own reads. 

I also still think a pass rushing IDL is important - Trevor Lawrence wasn't sacked once in the two games vs Jacksonville, this team HAS to pressure him into bad throws. Chris Jones/Christian Wilkins are my #1 priorities this off-season, whichever one hits the market needs to become a Texan.

• Like 1

So, my thoughts on Illinois DT Johnny Newton are going up. My buddy is very close with the athletic department at Illinois (his daughter played softball there for five years) and the feedback I'm getting is that he's a quick twitch athlete who fires off the ball and uses his hands effectively to gain leverage and split the gap to play against the run and pass.

The comparison I was given was Ed Oliver - a bit on the leaner side as an IDL, but a slippery guy who can constrict and collapse the pocket vs the pass and get downhill against the run. There are a few who think once he gets to the combine he'll be at 285-290 and test very well - if he does, he's flirting with top 15-20 status. 

That's the name I'm going to follow at this particular position - even if a big name is landed in FA, a DT duo who can win frequently is going to have an effect on both LBs and DEs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Ya, S is definitely higher in the needs list 

It seems like that's a prevailing thing; a CB gets beat for a big gain, then Pitre comes into frame and the CB is just looking at him like they're saying "where WERE you!?" I distinctly recall something similar during the Bengals game when Stingley got beat by Trent Irwin for a TD. Sting sort of flat footed his backpedal, Irwin gets behind him and makes the play with Sting trailing... then Pitre comes running in late after the play was over. 

I might see if someone can do an All 22 review of Pitre soon, see if this is the case. This play above was BAD.

• Like 1

Very long and quick twitch athlete, doesn't create turnovers frequently but he does a good job frustrating WRs by punching the ball out before they can secure it and getting in between the ball and the WR.

Dane Brugler has him as CB1, ahead of Cooper DeJean of Iowa and Kool Aid McKinstry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Very long and quick twitch athlete, doesn't create turnovers frequently but he does a good job frustrating WRs by punching the ball out before they can secure it and getting in between the ball and the WR.

Dane Brugler has him as CB1, ahead of Cooper DeJean of Iowa and Kool Aid McKinstry. 

He is the guy I'm really hoping for in the draft. Followed by DeJean. 

Miami has a DT that looks really raw in Leonard Taylor but a ton of athleticism and a great first step. But he hasn't put together a special resume. I wouldn't mind considering him if we have a late 1st but I'll have to watch more

• Like 1

Last years draft class had a lot of promise but has not gelled with the new staff. 

Stingley looks decent to good when he plays

green is and IR bust

Pitre hasn’t shown any development 

Metchie is in a red shirt year 

Harris hasn’t looked comfortable. 
Pierce is just not a fit at all 

That’s the risk you take everytime you fire a coach and since our last 4 draft classes were drafted by different HCs it’s no wonder most of those guys are busting out. 

19/20 BOB guys left are just Howard and Greenard 

21 Culley class is just Nico Collins 

22 Lovie class is struggling 

we are in a mess because of the constant coaching revolving door. That should be fixed but we will have to rely on cheap vets for a while until Ryan’s has 3-4 draft classes to pull from.