2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

On 2/27/2024 at 7:23 PM, Chali21 said:

Who the heck cares if they don’t start year one? I’d be fine if the Raiders drafted any of the big three and sat them a season. Kinda like Mahomes or Love, sure you take an L in the interim but it massively pays off. 

Ok but what does that mean for our QB this year? You going to start AOC again? If he struggles then fans complain and the rookie QB gets thrown in there unprepared anyways. You can't just sit a guy for a year unless you already have a good enough team and QB out there. All your examples of QBs sitting a year, the teams already had a good QB and were playoff teams. Alex Smith was solid for the Chiefs, and obviously we all know Rodgers...

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

This forum wants Worthy in the 1st and Rattler in the 2nd

Cmon man, 2 peeps is hardly "this forum" smh, a simple edit to "certain posters" would be like 10000% more accurate. Ish like this is why you catch flack. Just like HBs love of bulldogs (and lots of mocks 😉😉) is why he catches flack. Lol 🍻

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

If we don’t select a QB or trade up, we’re in position to get an elite player at #13.

Could be 4 QBs and 4 WRs/TE go before us. 

I mentioned this point in HBs new mock, I agree 100%. You can probably put Turner in that group, especially after his combine performance.lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

Ok but what does that mean for our QB this year? You going to start AOC again? If he struggles then fans complain and the rookie QB gets thrown in there unprepared anyways. You can't just sit a guy for a year unless you already have a good enough team and QB out there. All your examples of QBs sitting a year, the teams already had a good QB and were playoff teams. Alex Smith was solid for the Chiefs, and obviously we all know Rodgers...

To be honest this team needs to rebuild, and QBs pretty much every QB benefits from sitting out their first season. I agree it does send the message that you’re punting on the season but trading a season of ineptitude for 10+ of dominate play is a great trade in my book. That being said I do realize the reality that coaches and teams face when losing. In this day and age it’s next to impossible to not avoid it. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 9:23 PM, Chali21 said:

Who the heck cares if they don’t start year one? I’d be fine if the Raiders drafted any of the big three and sat them a season. Kinda like Mahomes or Love, sure you take an L in the interim but it massively pays off. 

The Packers were 13-3 with an MVP Aaron Rodgers when they drafted Jordan Love and the Chiefs were 12-4 with a good veteran QB in Alex Smith when they drafted Patrick Mahomes. Those were good teams that already had established starters and could afford to be patient with a rookie QB. There's a reason that only 10 QB's over the last 3 decades sat out their entire rookie season. Because in most cases if the rookie isn't good enough to beat out an average / journeyman type QB, it's a pretty bad sign.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chali21 said:

To be honest this team needs to rebuild, and QBs pretty much every QB benefits from sitting out their first season. I agree it does send the message that you’re punting on the season but trading a season of ineptitude for 10+ of dominate play is a great trade in my book. That being said I do realize the reality that coaches and teams face when losing. In this day and age it’s next to impossible to not avoid it. 

It's such a small sample size though, there are only 10 first round QB's in the last 30 years that didn't start a single game as rookies. Mahomes technically isn't on that list because he started the Chiefs final game but lets just say there's 11 if you include him. That list then includes: Rodgers, Mahomes, Love, Rivers, Palmer, Locker, Quinn, Campbell, Losman, Pennington, and Culpepper. 

For the most part the guys that were behind other high end QBs: Rodgers (Farve) / Mahomes (Smith) / Love (Rodgers) / Rivers (Brees) were / are the ones that are good players. 

• Like 1

At this point, I'm not trading up for McCarthy (for reasons @NYRaider mentioned), but I'm absolutely taking him at #13 (for reasons @Frankie2Gunz mentioned) so long as he sits his rookie year. Same for Jayden Daniels. Starting either of them as rookies is a recipe for disaster. The only QB I'd trade up for would be Drake Maye.

I'd be okay with a CB at #13 if Wiggins is still there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

meh it wasn't a bad day per say but it definitely didn't answer any questions about whether or not he was a game manager. nothing he did yesterday justifying him being picked on the top 10 which is exactly where I think he'll be picked

Nothing he did justified it, but NFL people are now saying he's in the conversation with the top 3 QBs? 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The "he was throwing to guys he doesn't know" excuse is so lame lol. They all don't know each other and others still do well. Everything JJ struggled with during the season, he struggled with yesterday. It has nothing to do with who he's throwing to. 

It's lame, but exactly what several GMs state in their evaluation of QBs at the combine?

And to that point, the reason the top 3 guys skipped doing it because they want the comfort of their guys at a pro day. 

If McCarthy is missing balls to Roman Wilson at Michigans pro day, then get back to us with the same assessment.

Boxes he needed to check - Size, arm strength, athleticism - he checked them all. 

As one GM stated.... you're evaluating what the player can do at the next level, not what they've done.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Nothing he did justified it, but NFL people are now saying he's in the conversation with the top 3 QBs? 

I feel like that's just talk because I remember at some point last year they were trying to say that Will Levis was going to go over CJ Stroud. 

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It's lame, but exactly what several GMs state in their evaluation of QBs at the combine?

And to that point, the reason the top 3 guys skipped doing it because they want the comfort of their guys at a pro day. 

If McCarthy is missing balls to Roman Wilson at Michigans pro day, then get back to us with the same assessment.

Boxes he needed to check - Size, arm strength, athleticism - he checked them all. 

As one GM stated.... you're evaluating what the player can do at the next level, not what they've done.

I mean generally, this is a good point, but the other side of it is the other three prospects did enough in their regular season to show that they don't have to really prove anything at the combine anyway(a.k.a. they threw a lot more passes so they don't have pro. They can make all of the throws).