2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

4 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

He was not good at South Carolina. I do not understand the narrative saying he put up decent stats and decent in game film at all. I’d rather take Milton and I am not a fan of his either. 

Someone on twitter compared him to Mahomes so people will inevitablely hype him up, but yeah he's awful. Midget with below average athleticism that was the definition of mid at USC.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Someone on twitter compared him to Mahomes so people will inevitablely hype him up, but yeah he's awful. Midget with below average athleticism that was the definition of mid at USC.

He was miserable. Even their fans would rag him. I just cannot get the hype to save my life. 

• Like 1

My point exactly. If the goal is to roll with mid, just roll with the mid guy you already have on the roster and improve at other spots. The goal should be to find a dynamic franchise QB we can build around for the next decade plus. The amount of people that want us to pursue guys like Wilson, Rattler, Brissett, etc. is crazy to me.

I'm possibly stepping in some ish here, but if we're not legit going after Daniels, Penix, or Nix- all of whom I like, none of whom I absolutely love- I'd rather spend the draft prepping for 2025's QBs. Go big or don't go day 1 or 2 at all. 

On day 3, I'd be down to take a flyer on Kedon Slovis. He looked pretty good at USC before the philosophy change and transfer. Pitt seems to be a revolving door for transfer QBs and Slovis hit the portal in the early days of it becoming a perfectly acceptable thing. Had his transfer timeline been a year or so later, I could have seen a bigger school chasing him, and then who knows. 

To me, perfect day 3 type of QB to try and Brock Purdy. He's long had talent as a high recruit to a blue chip school, had enough reasonable success to warrant a look with better surroundings than Pitt,  has some raw tools, and should be available in rounds 6 or 7. 

QB either round 1 or 2 or just grab a guy like that towards the back end, roll with AOC and make a change if it's painfully mid, go into 2025 looking for the perfect fit. One thing with AOC and a Slovis type you can bank on is no QB purgatory- they either have "it" or we won't be winning many games. 

Looking at Slovis, he's really pretty dang mobile. If he could become AOC with some wheels, a 6th or 7th for a backup that is a poor man's version of whoever our starter winds up being long term isn't awful. AOC is a Bledsoe-like statue. If our offense was helmed by someone really mobile (think McCarthy or Daniels) the change in plays and scheme would be really stark if AOC had to go in. I've always preferred my backup QBs to be a lesser version of the starter in terms of style as much as possible anyway- unless the backup was special in their own right, despite a different style. 

Imagine, say, Baltimore having a statue as their backup. Their entire offense would collapse. They specifically find guys who, while not as athletic as Lamar, are still that same general mold of highly mobile QB so that the offense remains generally the same, just a 60-70% efficient version. 

But yeah, rounds 3-5 are no-go for a QB for me this time around. Pursue a QB earnestly or just grab a warm body with some possible upside day 3 to fill a roster or PS spot, understanding the search for a QB isn't over and no need to pretend otherwise. We grab a guy round 3 or 4, we risk fooling ourselves into giving them more time than warranted. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He had Rattler as his #1 QB and had Caleb Williams as a 4th rounder. Time will tell but it seemed like the biggest click bait id ever seen 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm possibly stepping in some ish here, but if we're not legit going after Daniels, Penix, or Nix- all of whom I like, none of whom I absolutely love- I'd rather spend the draft prepping for 2025's QBs. Go big or don't go day 1 or 2 at all. 

On day 3, I'd be down to take a flyer on Kedon Slovis. He looked pretty good at USC before the philosophy change and transfer. Pitt seems to be a revolving door for transfer QBs and Slovis hit the portal in the early days of it becoming a perfectly acceptable thing. Had his transfer timeline been a year or so later, I could have seen a bigger school chasing him, and then who knows. 

To me, perfect day 3 type of QB to try and Brock Purdy. He's long had talent as a high recruit to a blue chip school, had enough reasonable success to warrant a look with better surroundings than Pitt,  has some raw tools, and should be available in rounds 6 or 7. 

But yeah, rounds 3-5 are no-go for a QB for me this time around. Pursue a QB earnestly or just grab a warm body with some possible upside day 3 to fill a roster or PS spot, understanding the search for a QB isn't over and no need to pretend otherwise. We grab a guy round 3 or 4, we risk fooling ourselves into giving them more time than warranted. 

I agree. If we're not going to take one of the top QB's then we should just focus on building out the rest of the roster and let AOC compete against a journey man veteran to start. 

I liked Slovis at USC but probably wouldn't take a QB that late. 

I think one of the big issues with taking another mid round guy (assuming that also entails signing a vet) is that neither AOC or that rookie probably get the proper development competing for reps. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

He had Rattler as his #1 QB and had Caleb Williams as a 4th rounder. Time will tell but it seemed like the biggest click bait id ever seen 

I'm pretty sure his top 3 QB's are Rattler, Penix, and Milton. 

I agree. If we're not going to take one of the top QB's then we should just focus on building out the rest of the roster and let AOC compete against a journey man veteran to start. 

I liked Slovis at USC but probably wouldn't take a QB that late. 

I think one of the big issues with taking another mid round guy (assuming that also entails signing a vet) is that neither AOC or that rookie probably get the proper development competing for reps. 

1. I would, provided we've exhausted other needs. We have a few laaaaaate picks, and who would we really be grabbing? 7th rounders are essentially guarantees for the UDFA crop. That said, Slovis may even go undrafted so UDFA  isn't off the table. 

2. This is valid. I would say with AOC, we're in a bit of a jam. I doubt we purposefully seek out AOC+++ in our future franchise guy, so I'm hesitant to invest a ton of development into him if our offense goes the mobile QB route as expected. I'd keep him through his rookie deal, and as an emergency QB3 or trade bait. But seeing as we all universally expect a different type of QB going forward, I'm actually ok with not going out of the way to develop AOC, harsh as that may sound. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

1. I would, provided we've exhausted other needs. We have a few laaaaaate picks, and who would we really be grabbing? 7th rounders are essentially guarantees for the UDFA crop. That said, Slovis may even go undrafted so UDFA  isn't off the table. 

2. This is valid. I would say with AOC, we're in a bit of a jam. I doubt we purposefully seek out AOC+++ in our future franchise guy, so I'm hesitant to invest a ton of development into him if our offense goes the mobile QB route as expected. I'd keep him through his rookie deal, and as an emergency QB3 or trade bait. But seeing as we all universally expect a different type of QB going forward, I'm actually ok with not going out of the way to develop AOC, harsh as that may sound. 

It doesn't hurt, I'd probably just prefer to take fliers on toolsy guys at that point in the draft though. He has decent size and athleticism, will be interesting to see if he sticks anywhere. 

Meh. I think you know what you have with him, a decent backup that can be a spot starter if needed. His upside is obviously capped because of his physical profile but he's someone that can handle pressure in stride and it's not like you'd realistically ask your backup to carry the offense like a starter would. The only QB we could draft that the system would be completely different for is probably Jayden Daniels but even then Getsy is a WCO guy, right? 

On 3/5/2024 at 1:52 PM, bucksavage1 said:

I wonder if Daniels people are leaking that JJ has surpassed Daniels in the QB rankings to avoid going to NE. Makes sense because JJ is more adapt to cold climate. 

#5 is out of the question. Chargers aren’t gonna help us. Giants could take Daniels as it seems they are done with Jones

How would media reports about JJ / Daniels have any impact on what the Patriots ultimately decide to do? 

McCarthy does seem to be a better fit in New England. Fits well in their new WCO, can play in the cold weather, and is coming out of a program with a similar culture to the Patriots. 

31 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

My 3 round mock on a draft sim.

LV

J.J. McCarthy

QB Michigan

LV

Byron Murphy II

DT Texas

LV

Cooper Beebe

OG Kansas State

LV

Trey Benson

RB Florida State

JJ and Murphy both might be top 10 picks

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That chase and FF at the goal line (twice?) say otherwise 😂

That's talent and effort, which he displays in spades. I've just he doesn't play with that chip on his shoulder mentality AP seems to favor. Not that that is overall important. But something to think about when looking at AP types. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That's talent and effort, which he displays in spades. I've just he doesn't play with that chip on his shoulder mentality AP seems to favor. Not that that is overall important. But something to think about when looking at AP types. 

Fair enough. I like Arnold and Kool Aid a lot. That being said I think Wiggins COD and long speed are special. Even if you beat him on a throw he is so fast that he can easily recover and pick a QB off. His transitions are also amazing for a tall corner. 

• Like 1