2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Why was the switch obvious for Sewell? At this point, you can't say it's not possible to switch without lying. Instead, you have to point to a reason why a particular player can't switch. I recall a tackle from Florida a few years back who was rumored to be blind in one eye. That might affect someone's ability to switch sides. Otherwise, the rule is players can switch sides.

I’ve already explained that his run blocking and lack of length meant Sewell was a natural switch to RT. Also because of his lack of snaps and run blocking issues why Fashanu doesn’t suit a switch. All you have provided is because they can. 

Not sure why you are getting all bent out of shape on the thought that some players might not transition over as easily as you make out. Sewell himself has admitted it’s not easy. Some will some won’t. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 101Raider said:

Mims worries me too, though could be a monster. Not fair to him, but I think Becton’s career has me gun shy. 

Curious, why don’t you care for Latham?  Him and Fuaga both seem like plug and play high level RTs to me based on physical ability and experience at the position. However, I do have admittedly some slight concerns if we are in fact transitioning to primarily an outside zone scheme. 

Latham imo best position is a nfl guard

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Why was the switch obvious for Sewell? At this point, you can't say it's not possible to switch without lying. Instead, you have to point to a reason why a particular player can't switch. I recall a tackle from Florida a few years back who was rumored to be blind in one eye. That might affect someone's ability to switch sides. Otherwise, the rule is players can switch sides.

Come on man  nobody said players can't switch, but it's not as easy as you are trying to make it out to be, some people just can't pick up the nuances of using an opposite stand or the opposite hand without tons of practice, and yes some guys are better suited for one side or the other. You can't even count how many dudes have tried switching sides and still sucked, moved to guard and still sucked. We just had a guy who couldn't find success on the right side, but the few times he played on the left he looked decent, and he had every opportunity to be RT of the future his name eludes me right now. I'll have to look him up he just left in Free agency.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

I’ve already explained that his run blocking and lack of length meant Sewell was a natural switch to RT. Also because of his lack of snaps and run blocking issues why Fashanu doesn’t suit a switch. All you have provided is because they can. 

Not sure why you are getting all bent out of shape on the thought that some players might not transition over as easily as you make out. Sewell himself has admitted it’s not easy. Some will some won’t. 

Why is a lack of length good for right tackles but not good for left tackles? Why is being a good run blocker good for right tackles but not good for left tackles? Right tackles have to pass block and run block the same way left tackles do and often face more talented pass rushers. Right tackles have the advantage of being on most quarterbacks' front side so the quarterback can mitigate pass-blocking losses better, which is why the better player often ends up on the left side.

Quoting Sewell doesn't support your point. He transitioned from left to right. Find me a player who was a good starting caliber left tackle who sucked on the right side or vice versa.

9 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Come on man  nobody said players can't switch, but it's not as easy as you are trying to make it out to be, some people just can't pick up the nuances of using an opposite stand or the opposite hand without tons of practice, and yes some guys are better suited for one side or the other. You can't even count how many dudes have tried switching sides and still sucked, moved to guard and still sucked. We just had a guy who couldn't find success on the right side, but the few times he played on the left he looked decent, and he had every opportunity to be RT of the future his name eludes me right now. I'll have to look him up he just left in Free agency.

@Dessie said Alt and Fashanu are left tackles only. What does "only" mean to you?

If there are so many players who have been good on one side of the line and sucked on the other side, please name them. Fact is, guys switch all the time. It might not be easy, but any tackle worth his paycheck should be able to play either side.

You might be talking about Brandon Parker, but he was never starting-caliber on either side.

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I personally don't like Latham. Alabama OTs have a history of sucking at the next level. They are maxed out with good coaching in that program is the theory. His feet are not great compared to the other OT's in this class. 

For me its:

Fashanu

Alt

Fuaga

Mims

Guyton

I wish people would stop comparing Latham to Leatherwood. Latham is a far better player and is universally ranked top 15 by draft prospect rankings. Now before some people try and claim Leatherwood was ranked high, no he wasn't only by one ranking, I did the home work for you all, out of the 6 prospect rankings list for 2021 I just checked, Leatherwood was ranked between 17th which was ESPN, now I know who not to trust, all the way up to 62nd the only one other ranking I came across had him in the first at 27th. The others were 35th, 40th, 45th, and 50th. We essentially took a mid 2nd rounder with a high 1st.

Just saying!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Why is a lack of length good for right tackles but not good for left tackles? Why is being a good run blocker good for right tackles but not good for left tackles? Right tackles have to pass block and run block the same way left tackles do and often face more talented pass rushers. Right tackles have the advantage of being on most quarterbacks' front side so the quarterback can mitigate pass-blocking losses better, which is why the better player often ends up on the left side.

Quoting Sewell doesn't support your point. He transitioned from left to right. Find me a player who was a good starting caliber left tackle who sucked on the right side or vice versa.

@Dessie said Alt and Fashanu are left tackles only. What does "only" mean to you?

If there are so many players who have been good on one side of the line and sucked on the other side, please name them. Fact is, guys switch all the time. It might not be easy, but any tackle worth his paycheck should be able to play either side.

You might be talking about Brandon Parker, but he was never starting-caliber on either side.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/12/29/switching-from-one-side-of-the-offensive-line-to-the-other-is-among-the-nfl-s-underrated-tough-tasks/72056105007/

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

This supports my point.

I think it supports the fact that it's not an easy transition, and the article is about those who have been able to not the one who fail at it.

I feel like I'm scared from the draft of the past. LOL I'm scared of JC Latham because of Leatherwood. I thought for sure he was going be a good starter for a long time. AP All American who was a Bama. Horribly bad pick

13 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I wish people would stop comparing Latham to Leatherwood. Latham is a far better player and is universally ranked top 15 by draft prospect rankings. Now before some people try and claim Leatherwood was ranked high, no he wasn't only by one ranking, I did the home work for you all, out of the 6 prospect rankings list for 2021 I just checked, Leatherwood was ranked between 17th which was ESPN, now I know who not to trust, all the way up to 62nd the only one other ranking I came across had him in the first at 27th. The others were 35th, 40th, 45th, and 50th. We essentially took a mid 2nd rounder with a high 1st.

Just saying!

Work smart not hard.

I'll add that although I would not hate Latham at 13, I understand the skepticism around him. He doesn't have the movement skills that top tackles usually have, and he will probably get called for holding a lot more in the NFL. Also, his lower half is a lot more substantial than what you usually see at tackle in the NFL--which probably speaks to his lack of ideal movement skills. I'd prefer him at guard since Munford mitigates the need for a day 1 starter at right tackle.

I don't think there's anything about Alabama's coaching making their tackles less successful in the NFL. It has more to do with the types of athletes they recruit at tackle. They prioritize strength and size more than movement skills. In the NFL, movement skills are much more important. Just going off memory, Alabama's best NFL tackles from the Saban era were Jonah Williams, Cam Robinson, and Jedrick Wills. All were on the lighter side by Alabama standards. Notably, none are great.

Edited by Rich7sena

14 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Just saying!

Who compared him to Leatherwood? I said Alabama OTs have sucked at the next leevel.

Here all the OTs taken in the first 3 rounds since 2009..... none lived up to their hype.

GK2U075XgAA5WBi?format=png&name=small

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yes. That seems like his best position. I see a higher ceiling at OG than OT for him. I'd take the other 5 listed as pure OT prospects.

I agree but Imo he’s a guy that could play either side ot also 

i look at their stances like my guy last year that got drafted by pitt Brod Jones. The stance imo will tell you what he can do. Penne guy from Oregon that det got had similar stance. More of a sumo stance hard to explain just my 2 cents.

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

39 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Who compared him to Leatherwood? I said Alabama OTs have sucked at the next leevel.

Here all the OTs taken in the first 3 rounds since 2009..... none lived up to their hype.

GK2U075XgAA5WBi?format=png&name=small

Meh wills is pretty good Imo 

3 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh wills is pretty good Imo 

1 out of that whole list. I think with the new blocking scheme, we are looking for guys who are athletic with movement skills. Miller was drafted as a plus athlete, Parham is small but athletic, James is athletic. I think we are going to get 2 OL early, we don’t have many players in this unit. Any GM can see the OL is so important. Munford might be the man at RT, but we need a swing tackle. We can’t be counting on Wagner who was undrafted, didn’t prove much as a rookie, brought in to play a different scheme.