2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, R T said:

OT Roger Rosengarten is a player that should be on all Packer fans radar for their 4th round sweet spot. Still 21 YO, very athletic and lots of growth ahead of him. If the 1st round OT board goes quickly before the Packers pick Rosengarten becomes an even more likely target.   

We are in the enviable position to take a guy who needs more seasoning, and all OL do, while we have quality to very good tackles in place. Of course, that depth can get tested on a single play so we take what we can get but I also support the idea of a young high upside guy at OT with a mid round pick. We have struck gold there before and hope to again. 

I think I posted this before, but I am going to do it again.

When I run the mock draft simulators, I go in with a vague plan.  Like round 1 OL no matter what; or BPA, BPA, jump the board for my favorite RB at 58; or draft 2 safeties in round 2.  That kind of forces me to figure out if I like the round 6 LBs, or OL, or WRs because of a lost opportunity earlier.  It also usually helps negate the sometimes absurd "randomness" that will have me taking Joe Alt at 25.

Doing that instead of trying to "win" with the best mock I can possibly get, I think I at least learn something.  It also leads to some really, really bad draft results sometimes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

It’s 25th overall. Gotta treat it like a high second round pick and take the best player available. Positional value is thrown out the window more and more with every pick you get past 21st overall.

That's the only reason I remain open to it.  25th overall.

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think I posted this before, but I am going to do it again.

When I run the mock draft simulators, I go in with a vague plan.  Like round 1 OL no matter what; or BPA, BPA, jump the board for my favorite RB at 58; or draft 2 safeties in round 2.  That kind of forces me to figure out if I like the round 6 LBs, or OL, or WRs because of a lost opportunity earlier.  It also usually helps negate the sometimes absurd "randomness" that will have me taking Joe Alt at 25.

Doing that instead of trying to "win" with the best mock I can possibly get, I think I at least learn something.  It also leads to some really, really bad draft results sometimes. 

It's just simulators, but.....

Odds are you know the Packers roster better than anyone on those sites creating big boards.

Keep running your plan and see who is there.  I do it the same way.

Only I do throw myself a curveball sometimes and just take something completely different in the first (other than OT) and then I see how the rest of the rounds play out.  Usually I'm scrambling when I do something like that and I end up looking at different players.

I also make some interesting trades to see how far up I can get with our first and our second second round pick.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

It's just simulators, but.....

Odds are you know the Packers roster better than anyone on those sites creating big boards.

Keep running your plan and see who is there.  I do it the same way.

Only I do throw myself a curveball sometimes and just take something completely different in the first (other than OT) and then I see how the rest of the rounds play out.  Usually I'm scrambling when I do something like that and I end up looking at different players.

I also make some interesting trades to see how far up I can get with our first and our second second round pick.  

Yeah, sometimes it is like:  CB at 25 no matter what.  I am not an OL expert, not even close.  But I am having a hard time finding the supposed later round guys that I like.  But I guess that is part of the game for me.  And it is generally really becoming "who is my 3rd favorite ____?"

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yeah, sometimes it is like:  CB at 25 no matter what.  I am not an OL expert, not even close.  But I am having a hard time finding the supposed later round guys that I like.  But I guess that is part of the game for me.  And it is generally really becoming "who is my 3rd favorite ____?"

I run the PFF simulator.  I can click on guys and see where they played (position) and how they scored.  

So I'm not watching film, or anything like that, but I am looking at PFF scores which go so far as to score OL in "zone" schemes and things like that.

It's been odd to me that Beebe hasn't shot up on PFF yet.  He's like a 4'th rounder or later.

Just now, vegas492 said:

I run the PFF simulator.  I can click on guys and see where they played (position) and how they scored.  

So I'm not watching film, or anything like that, but I am looking at PFF scores which go so far as to score OL in "zone" schemes and things like that.

It's been odd to me that Beebe hasn't shot up on PFF yet.  He's like a 4'th rounder or later.

Yeah, I think a lot of boards will change to reflect combine and workout results.  I am giving them a week or two before I really try again.  

3 hours ago, Haha21 said:

Troy Fautanu and Cooper DeJean are my draft crushes at pick 25. Unfortunately don’t think either of them will make it there.

I’ve seen a lot of optimism and mocks where DeJean makes it to 25 but I’ll be surprised if he makes it past 16-20. 

• Like 1

Every once in awhile for unrealistic, sheer fantasy I go to NFL Draft Buzz simulator, which, given you can effect any trade you want (as long as it adheres to Jimmy Johnson chart), is like playing COD on God Mode. 

31 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Every once in awhile for unrealistic, sheer fantasy I go to NFL Draft Buzz simulator, which, given you can effect any trade you want (as long as it adheres to Jimmy Johnson chart), is like playing COD on God Mode. 

I ran a sim once there...  I passed on Caleb Williams to take Marvin Harrison Jr at 25.  I don't remember the rest of the draft, but after that, what is really the point?

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I’ve seen a lot of optimism and mocks where DeJean makes it to 25 but I’ll be surprised if he makes it past 16-20. 

Just ran the PFF simulator for the first time this offseason.  Cooper DeJean went 5th overall to LAC. 🧐

8 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Just ran the PFF simulator for the first time this offseason.  Cooper DeJean went 5th overall to LAC. 🧐

They've got some weird love for him over there.  Also Jayden Daniels is on the board at #25 way too often.