2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

DeJean’s season ending injury might have made him attainable in the mid to late 20’s.

Get us a franchise LT (or QB if one of the top two fall to 7th overall, where we’re probably picking), then trade back up into the first with our high second and third round picks and get the new face of our defense.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Pitts was supposed to be one .. 1k rookie season, and then seems to have been misused by Arthur Smith since.  Guys like Gronk and Kelce were drafted later on.  Hockenson was a higher pick that has produced well.  Vernon Davis was a high pick and had a strong career.  There's also some misses like Eric Ebron, Kellen Winslow Jr. 

I doubt the Packers go the TE route after investing last year in Musgrave and Kraft, but you never know.  He's 6'-4" 230, so he'd probably not going to be used like your typical TE in the NFL.  He's lined up in the backfield a lot.  He is utilized in the run game.   He's like the massive Deguara upgrade.  He's kind of built like the old school HBacks, but there aren't a lot of those around these days.  His blocking is decent for his size, but probably his biggest weakness.  Kind of a unique prospect .. be interesting to see how teams value him.   

Can't invest a FRP for that position. That is exactly the role the fullback in San Fran plays in the Shanahan system. It is also the fit Bowers would have in GB. 

38 minutes ago, MacReady said:

DeJean’s season ending injury might have made him attainable in the mid to late 20’s.

Get us a franchise LT (or QB if one of the top two fall to 7th overall, where we’re probably picking), then trade back up into the first with our high second and third round picks and get the new face of our defense.

Speculation is a 'lower leg injury.' If it's an ACL, (not wishing that on the kid) might be able to stand pat and get him in round 2. 

1 hour ago, ReasonablySober said:

Pitts went over 1000 yards as a 21 year old rookie. 

And Bowers is an excellent blocker. 

And what has he done since? He's averaged under 40 yards per game and under 3.5 receptions per game. Has a total of 4 TD's halfway through his 3rd season.

He fits what you'd describe as a bust for where he was drafted. He's exactly what you've been ranting against with the two stud LT's in the draft. LOL The MASSIVE difference, LT is a premium position, TE is not. 

So, what it comes down to is your argument is only valid when you deem it to be! LOL

STOP, you're killing me with this comedy act. 

Edited by Old Guy

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Speculation is a 'lower leg injury.' If it's an ACL, (not wishing that on the kid) might be able to stand pat and get him in round 2. 

Ferentz is saying it's a 6-8 week injury. If it was an ACL, we'd likely know by now. ACL's are usually fairly easy to diagnose.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Ferentz is saying it's a 6-8 week injury. If it was an ACL, we'd likely know by now. ACL's are usually fairly easy to diagnose.  

He will then be able to do all off draft workouts. Not sure it will affect his draft position at all. 

Lol. Pitts went over 1,000 yards as a rookie and it only took him 110 targets.

And he had a single touchdown.

Christian Watson had 611 yards receiving on 66 targets as a rookie and had a better catch percentage.

Our Christian Watson. Remember how many drops he had?

Pitts had 1,000 yards because the Falcons spent a top 7 pick on a TE and were too embarrassed to NOT get him 1,000 yards.

Can’s miss prospect, right @Packerraymond?

14 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Lol. Pitts went over 1,000 yards as a rookie and it only took him 110 targets.

And he had a single touchdown.

Christian Watson had 611 yards receiving on 66 targets as a rookie and had a better catch percentage.

Our Christian Watson. Remember how many drops he had?

Pitts had 1,000 yards because the Falcons spent a top 7 pick on a TE and were too embarrassed to NOT get him 1,000 yards.

Can’s miss prospect, right @Packerraymond?

Randy Moss would struggle in the Falcons passing attack. What's your point?

I never once said Pitts was good value, just that he was an elite pass catch prospect. He still is, on a **** team in a **** system.

• Like 1

Can't believe that the year after drafting 2 tight ends high in the draft there is discussion of taking an H-Back with a top 10 pick.

I'll concede that Bowers would be a big step up from Deguara, but is that really what anyone thinks we should invest in?

Bowers is small for the position.   He is fast for a regular TE, but not for a 230 lb oversized receiver.  He's coming off ankle injuries.   Just seems like a quick way to avoid making the team really better.  Seems a bit redundant with Musgrave already on the roster.

Football is won at the LOS.   We need to invest there so we can get back to being a good team.   I still wish we had Broderick Jones from last year's draft.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Can't invest a FRP for that position. That is exactly the role the fullback in San Fran plays in the Shanahan system. It is also the fit Bowers would have in GB. 

I could see how Bowers would fit.  Kraft becomes Deguara.  Musgrave with Bowers would be incredible and we have the WR's out there to stretch the field around them.  

I'd much rather have a LT, but I think we could easily find a way to use Bowers with Musgrave and Kraft.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I could see how Bowers would fit.  Kraft becomes Deguara.  Musgrave with Bowers would be incredible and we have the WR's out there to stretch the field around them.  

I'd much rather have a LT, but I think we could easily find a way to use Bowers with Musgrave and Kraft.

Kraft is our best chance to replace Big Dog's blocking. That ain't happening from an H-Back position. Of course, you can always find ways to utilize a guy like Bowers. Will it ever be worth a top 10 pick though? History says no chance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Honest question I do not know the answer to. When has the last, "generational," tight end in the draft actually lived up to the billing? 

I get your point and do not dismiss it as a possibility. 

Can Bowers block? 

To piggyback, how good does a TE have to be for some of us to justify picking them in the first round? Using hindsight, would you take Gronk or Kelce in the top 10? Is Vernon Davis a first round pick (he did finish 30th in AV in that draft class)?  

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Kraft is our best chance to replace Big Dog's blocking. That ain't happening from an H-Back position. Of course, you can always find ways to utilize a guy like Bowers. Will it ever be worth a top 10 pick though? History says no chance. 

JC.  Here we go again.

I said I'd rather have a tackle.

But if we were do something like draft Bowers, it's easy to find a way to use him along with Kraft and Musgrave.  I hope we do not have to find out how we would do that, as I'd rather have the tackle.

And no.  There may be a TE worth a top 10 pick.  Two chances.  Slim and none.  Slim hasn't left town yet, but those bags are packed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

To piggyback, how good does a TE have to be for some of us to justify picking them in the first round? Using hindsight, would you take Gronk or Kelce in the top 10? Is Vernon Davis a first round pick (he did finish 30th in AV in that draft class)?  

Of course, but history shows us two things. TE is not a premium position and teams routinely find really good ones later in the draft. Might be the most missed position when taking one in the first round.