2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Bowers will not be a generational TE. He's 6'3 (don't really care the fake measurements he has on Georgia's website). Gronk, Kelce, Gonzalez, all in the 6'6 range. 

He's going to comp out really close to George Kittle IMO, and the skillset matches. I don't really care to match college production because Jesus himself could play for Iowa and they'd find a way to limit his production. 

He's going to be a great player, worth a top 10 pick?? Maybe for a team like LAR if they want to try and squeeze another 2 productive years from Stafford. 

Think of him as a 6'4" (his listed height everywhere, even before he got to Georgia) 230 lb X wide receiver, because that's what he is. He would be the outside threat the Packers don't have, and one of the few guys who can take hits and not go down. 

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

I understand that and think that is generally solid conventional wisdom. This is not a conventional year so I believe using the season to get live reps is much better than the offseason in terms of getting a solid eval. The thing is, the absolute most important evaluation is behind center so if we think playing with the line will hurt Love’s rhythm, keep cooking. I do believe they already replaced Walker with Nijman after a rough game. Yosh got hurt right away and Walker was right back out there. I agree changing sides mid game is rough, but I guarantee Tom would not mind the chance to show he can start on the left and would attack it with all he’s got. 

I think you really nailed it with the bold part.  If we misevaluate Love, this is a bad, wasted season.  Right now, Tom is good at RT and Walker, I think is functional.  I also think Nijman is better on the left than right, if he needs to come in.  

6 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Think of him as a 6'4" (his listed height everywhere, even before he got to Georgia) 230 lb X wide receiver, because that's what he is. He would be the outside threat the Packers don't have, and one of the few guys who can take hits and not go down. 

And how may of those exist in the NFL today? 

I can think of one, DK, and he can run 23 mph.

Sorry I'm not betting on him as a WR, he's a TE. I'll bet you anything he's going to add weight, not drop it for the weigh ins, he'll be 240-245. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Sorry I'm not betting on him as a WR, he's a TE. I'll bet you anything he's going to add weight, not drop it for the weigh ins, he'll be 240-245. 

Larry Fitzgerald. Good, not great speed. In the 6'3", 230 lb range. Elite hands, elite body control, elite ball skills, tough to bring down with the ball in their hands.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I can certainly see falling in love with the idea of Bowers in this offense.

The "wet dream" version of Bowers in this offense would be that you use him like Lazard but target him like Kelce.

You put Lazard's per target stats together with Kelce's targets per game and you get roughly what you got out of Lazard's last two seasons over the course of one season.

100 receptions 1300 yards 14TDs

I'm obviouly in no way saying this is what WOULD happen with Bowers in this offense. Just saying I get the love for the pie in the sky possibility of what could be if everything went perfect.

11 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I can certainly see falling in love with the idea of Bowers in this offense.

The "wet dream" version of Bowers in this offense would be that you use him like Lazard but target him like Kelce.

You put Lazard's per target stats together with Kelce's targets per game and you get roughly what you got out of Lazard's last two seasons over the course of one season.

100 receptions 1300 yards 14TDs

I'm obviouly in no way saying this is what WOULD happen with Bowers in this offense. Just saying I get the love for the pie in the sky possibility of what could be if everything went perfect.

I'm not saying for a second I wouldn't be all over Bowers if we picked at #22. I agree with everything you're saying. I just can't get there using a top 10 pick when you probably are going to have 5 tackles with top 20 grades by the time April rolls around. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not saying for a second I wouldn't be all over Bowers if we picked at #22. I agree with everything you're saying. I just can't get there using a top 10 pick when you probably are going to have 5 tackles with top 20 grades by the time April rolls around. 

Then why not take the TE/WR with the top three grade, and use a couple seconds to move back up and take one of those top 20 tackles?

1 minute ago, ReasonablySober said:

Then why not take the TE/WR with the top three grade, and use a couple seconds to move back up and take one of those top 20 tackles?

Because if I want to use the depth of this draft to do that, I can take a high level CB prospect in McKinstry (21 on draft day) or Wiggins (20 on draft day) and then move up. Solve two holes on my roster rather than using an extremely valuable pick on a luxury.

Or I can use the depth of the draft to trade down to 12-15, grab another 2nd and I can take one of the OTs, and grab a toy for Love like Brian Thomas Jr, Johnny Wilson or Ja'Tavion Sanders for free and still have my other two second round picks to attack secondary/DL/OL help.

It's about utilization of resources, there's a right and wrong way to go about it. Good teams don't take luxury players top 10. How good would the Cardinals or Panthers be this year with Travis Kelce? 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Because if I want to use the depth of this draft to do that, I can take a high level CB prospect in McKinstry (21 on draft day) or Wiggins (20 on draft day) and then move up. Solve two holes on my roster rather than using an extremely valuable pick on a luxury.

Or I can use the depth of the draft to trade down to 12-15, grab another 2nd and I can take one of the OTs, and grab a toy for Love like Brian Thomas Jr, Johnny Wilson or Ja'Tavion Sanders for free and still have my other two second round picks to attack secondary/DL/OL help.

It's about utilization of resources, there's a right and wrong way to go about it. Good teams don't take luxury players top 10. How good would the Cardinals or Panthers be this year with Travis Kelce? 

Good teams don't have QBs like Jordan Love. 

If you're all about maximizing value, there's really only one thing to do in the draft and that's secure the Packers next franchise QB. All this talk about OTs and DBs and Bowers means nothing if Love team's QB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Good teams don't have QBs like Jordan Love. 

If you're all about maximizing value, there's really only one thing to do in the draft and that's secure the Packers next franchise QB. All this talk about OTs and DBs and Bowers means nothing if Love team's QB.

4bUV7Ls.gif

• Like 10