The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

22 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It will be interesting to see what KAM actually does. History being a guide, there is also a decent chance that he, like all GMs, will have failed to accurately project college player talents to the NFL. I am happy that he doesn't seem to be the type of guy to make a rash decision. I hope he assesses the situation properly and doesn't cave to the fear that is always being sold.  I hope the Vikings get the best NFL players possible. 

Not only do none of us know right now what that would look like.  None of us will know after the draft either. Even in multiple years looking back it will be cloudy as it wouldn't be possible to know how one changed decision would have affected all decisions that followed.

My mind is more open this year than most years around this time. If there is one thing that is certain, it is that we should all be talking with a lot more humility. You got it, VD!

Kwesi has a pretty suspect draft history outside of Jordan Addison which was an obviously choice considering Thielen was gone as a Viking.  Take him away and his draft picks the past two years are beyond questionable.  

And honestly Ivan Pace Jr I bet that was more to do with the coaching staff and Brian Flores than Kwesi, and even free agents they bring in defensively I feel that has more to do with Brian Flores and who he likes or the HC instead of Kwesi.  

Byron Murphy is a stud corner and the best on the roster, Kwesi drafted DBs like Cine, Booth, Evans, Blackmon and Ward.  Only one that is just kind of good so far out of that group is Blackmon and the rest, ehhh.  So who was that?  My guess is Flores is the reason they got Murphy and probably the reason they take a gamble on Griffin that he still has some left in the tank at CB.

Also the team trading Vederian Lowe, and that guy started 8 games on the Patriots last year after the trade?  Seems odd the Vikings would let him go, and they got one single 6th round pick for him.  Odd but sure Vikings do not need a tackle but did have backup tackles play last year and he would have been decent to have around as depth.

Kwesi really has to knock this draft out of the park, because if he has another sub par draft 2024 and 2025 he is possibly fired.

Cine, Lewis 1st RD – 32nd Safety Georgia SEC
Booth Jr., Andrew 2nd RD – 42nd Corner Clemson ACC
Ingram, Ed 2nd RD – 59th Guard LSU SEC
Asamoah, Brian 3rd RD – 66th Linebacker Oklahoma Big 12
Evans, Akayleb 4th RD – 118th Corner Missouri SEC
Otomewo, Esezi 5th RD – 165th Defensive End Minnesota Big 10
Chandler, Ty 5th RD – 169th Running Back North Carolina ACC
Lowe, Vederian 6th RD – 184th Offensive Tackle Illinois Big 10
Nailor, Jalen 6th RD – 191st Wide Receiver Michigan St. Big 10
Muse, Nick 7th RD – 227th Tight End South Carolina

SEC

Player Round & Number Position College Conference
Addison, Jordan 1st RD – 23rd Wide Receiver USC Pac-12
Blackmon, Mekhi 3rd RD – 102nd Corner USC Pac-12
Ward, Jay 4th RD – 134th Defensive Back LSU SEC
Roy, Jaquelin 5th RD – 141st Defensive Tackle LSU SEC
Hall, Jaren 5th RD – 164th Quarterback BYU Independent
McBride, DeWayne 7th RD – 222nd Running Back UAB Conference USA

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

That seems sort of random. I'm not sure NE is really in the place to have an ideal QB (other than the best one). They're a blank slate. 

It's just pure speculation on my part.  For me, he just seems like personality-wise, he would fit that organization.  I think Rattler is a guy that has a strong enough personality/thick skin to handle that position in that region and in where that organization is at this point in time.  That's why I feel that way. 

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed, and honestly not sure how any of them could be that sold on any of the QBs in this draft outside of Caleb Williams

I am right there with you on this.  Often times at this point in the offseason I see a player or two that really stands out that I really hope the Vikings pick.  Not this year. It is tough to be sold on the QBs outside of Williams this year. The players that are really popping for me this year are WRs and offensive linemen, but I don't see that as being positions the Vikings should be drafting at 11 (or earlier).

At the same time, I can't blame the team for taking a swing at a QB this year. While all the QBs they will have to pick from have flaws, there is a deep pool of guys with potential.  While not being sold on the QBs, I assume you can see the depth of the position this year in guys that look like they could be drafted in the first couple days.

I think the Vikings covet at least two of the QB prospects and may be willing to trade up for the second of those if he is still available at a position where a trade up would be possible.

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

And honestly Ivan Pace Jr I bet that was more to do with the coaching staff and Brian Flores than Kwesi, and even free agents they bring in defensively I feel that has more to do with Brian Flores and who he likes or the HC instead of Kwesi. 

While I agree that his drafting has been suspect and while it is okay to not like him, it's pretty crazy that you aren't giving him credit for signing Pace or these free agents... Yes, the coaches developed Pace, but Kwesi is the one who actually signed him to the roster. Not to mention that Kwesi also signed Brian Flores to be our DC. Kwesi has been on fire this offseason. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Kwesi really has to knock this draft out of the park, because if he has another sub par draft 2024 and 2025 he is possibly fired.

Right. It hasn't been good in the first couple years. However, I am still a KAM supporter.  That said, as you mention, he is at the point where that will fade quickly if improvement isn't evident. I am more than a bit concerned that I didn't hear more about him shaking up college scouting. Perhaps some of that happened under the radar.

I don't know that he needs to knock it out of the park. For me, he does need to show significant improvement. There are many routes he can take.  There is a lot of talk about him trading up.  That's a bold play, which is perhaps what he feels he needs to do.  I could also see him trading down if some of the WRs or OTs are on the board at 11 and then picking up some solid starters at a lower pick he traded down to in the first round, 23, and whatever pick he got for the trade down.

You seem to really like Penix. I have to admit that I really like what I see there too, but I am still way more concerned about his injury history than you. I don't think that I could pull the trigger in the first round on that injury risk. If the team trades down from 11 there is certainly a risk that a team that is less concerned about his injury history will take him. If that happens, however, maybe one of the other QBs falls into the 20s to, say, pick 23.  That would allow the Vikings to consider some of the front seven defensive talent.  Imagine KAM getting an upper echelon front seven defender and then a QB at 23.

There is more than one way that KAM can go with things.  If the QB that KAM is targeting is available after the top three picks he can consider moving up or if that QB isn't available and he still wants to take an early pull from the talent with more questions he can consider trading down while reinforcing other areas. 

It might not be as exciting as when I am really pulling for a particular outcome, but I am enthralled by the flexibility the Vikings have and seeing how they use it. I can't wait to see it unfold!

12 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I am right there with you on this.  Often times at this point in the offseason I see a player or two that really stands out that I really hope the Vikings pick.  Not this year. It is tough to be sold on the QBs outside of Williams this year. The players that are really popping for me this year are WRs and offensive linemen, but I don't see that as being positions the Vikings should be drafting at 11 (or earlier).

At the same time, I can't blame the team for taking a swing at a QB this year. While all the QBs they will have to pick from have flaws, there is a deep pool of guys with potential.  While not being sold on the QBs, I assume you can see the depth of the position this year in guys that look like they could be drafted in the first couple days.

I think the Vikings covet at least two of the QB prospects and may be willing to trade up for the second of those if he is still available at a position where a trade up would be possible.

I would take any of these OL at #11 assuming no OG is signed in free agency.  Instant starter and potential future RT down the road.  Fashanu not sure he could play guard but my guess is he could if asked, Fautanu absolutely could and Fuaga I feel could also.  They are all well worth the #11 pick overall, same with Dallas Turner or Jared Verse if they are available.  

Troy Fautanu 
Olumuyiwa Fashanu 
Taliese Fuaga 

And sure the depth in this QB class is top heavy because a crap ton of guys who would have declared typically in this draft returned to school, all of these guys I had in this 2024 draft and all returned to school or transferred.  If they all declare pretty sure the Vikings would not but jumping up to pick a QB if that is indeed what they do.  

Quinn Ewers 
Cameron Rising 
DJ Uiagalelei 
Cameron Ward 
KJ Jefferson
Graham Mertz 
Will Howard 
Dillon Gabriel 
Grayson McCall 
Will Rogers 
Tyler Shough
TJ Finley 
Hank Bachmeier 

But sure if they like a guy and think he will be great go get him.  I just hope it is not JJ McCarthy they trade away three 1st round picks to get, a dude that will not even be able to start next season if selected.  That dude is a great leader and personality but as a passer he is limited and benefited greatly from the talent around him.  To just assume he will wildly improve his natural passing ability is a bit much.  He is not great in the pocket and depends on running around to make throws on the move far too much.  I would not mind going up to get Maye or Daniels but even with them, is that worth giving up a potential starting OG, DE or CB?  Not sure, especially if Darnold is the starter next year.  

6 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

it's pretty crazy that you aren't giving him credit for signing Pace

Pace working out was great, but the fact that the undrafted free agent had that opportunity to me speaks a little bit to the state of that position. If the UDFA, Pace, didn't hit, the LBer room was very short on talent -- not a good look for any GM.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

Pace working out was great, but the fact that the undrafted free agent had that opportunity to me speaks a little bit to the state of that position. If the UDFA, Pace, didn't hit, the LBer room was very short on talent -- not a good look for any GM.

Yeah, but now we are playing the "what if" game. Fortunately, Pace did work out and it was a great signing. UDFA or not, he hit on Pace.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

We don't know what KAM wants. We'll rejoice or gnash teeth based on our very flawed preconceived notions. Often times those preconceived notions were flawed by design as teams try to obfuscate what they think of players. Whether we agree or disagree with what the team chooses to do, there is a decent chance hindsight will later show us that our ideal situations were flawed.

very articulate statement. as was your entire post.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Previously, it was believed the Pats were determined to draft their own QB of the future, at No. 3. But on Sunday, New England coach Jerod Mayo made it very clear they have changed their minds and are now open to moving off of that spot, if the right package comes along.

NFL insider Dan Graziano (ESPN) proposed a trade up to No. 3 for Minnesota that looks like this:

"The Vikings send Nos. 11 and 23 and a 2025 first-round pick for No. 3. This is pretty straightforward — three first-round picks for your quarterback of the future, whoever that is at No. 3. The Patriots, meanwhile, would get serious draft capital to spark their rebuild."

There’s a problem with the above trade scenario, however. For a team like New England, that desperately needs a franchise changing offensive talent, the thought of moving all the way from pick No. 3 to No. 11 is a scary proposition, even if Minnesota were to offer the type of no-brainer package they can’t say no to. So what’s the fix?

Graziano (who has been very plugged into the Vikings’ plans all offseason) dropped an interesting theory (one that feels very informed) in two other Vikings draft day scenarios he mapped out Monday morning. And, should the Vikings decide it’s the No. 3 overall draft slot that they covet, his theoretical double-trade seems to solve any concerns New England might have about dropping eight spots.

Instead of just sending (3) first rounders to the Patriots (11, 23, ‘2025 1st) as he laid out above, general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah would swing an initial trade that leapfrogs Minnesota into (or around) the top-5. Then, a second move that pushes them up to two more slots. First, Graziano lays out what it would look like with the Chargers (No. 5). The Vikings give up the same amount of draft capital and the Patriots only have to move down two slots:

"The Vikings send Nos. 11 and 23 for No. 5 [Chargers] — then send No. 5 and a 2025 first-round pick to the Patriots for No. 3.

In this scenario, the Patriots wouldn’t be fully in love with the QB who’s there at the third slot but wouldn’t want to move back too far and risk missing out on all of the QBs. This is the same price Minnesota paid in the Patriots scenario above, but the picks are dispersed differently. The Chargers can find the receiver they need at No. 11."

In reality, if the Patriots have anxiety about moving down too many slots, the Minnesota Vikings will have to fix it by sending them more draft picks. That’s why a double-trade makes so much sense. If Kwesi can find a willing middle man for the first move, they won’t have to comp in extra picks to get New England to take a deal.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-vikings-nfl-draft-rumors-patriots-double-trade-top-3/?fbclid=IwAR25gYhpzsnFrllxGCmz6EkvaBLtVDu1nz4j7uAM-36F7rJVmO6__UsvjR4

sending up the purple Bat Signal for:

@Hunter2_1 @jofos @m haynes @Soko @DoleINGout 

If Pats don't like the Top 2 OBs

I look at this draft as eight players deep, than a drop off to 2nd tier.

I also want a trade down however the three 1st RD is not enough. The Vikings would have to overpay for me to go to 11th pick.

My targets are Alt and Olu. IMO it not worth it if I can't get one of them.  Thou the 2025 1st would work with my plan, drafting a QB in 2025.

I'm not considering the two tier trade. That for us draft geeks to play with !!!!!!!  If I had my choice, I would be a trading fool !!!  Every year I work the draft simulator for 5 2nd RD picks. 😁

My draft board for the Pats.

1. Caleb Williams  ----    Bears

2. Joe Alt  ----                15 years elite talent. We have watched year after year trash at that position. Critical to fix this or we are wasting our time with a QB and WR. We have all watched the games, pethetic !!!!

3. Olu Fashanu  -----     Again 15 years elite play.

4. Malik Nabers ------  I like him a tad more with his flexibility to play all over the field.

5. Marvin Harrison Jr.    ---- Have your big threat. If he bangs out a (recorded) 4.3 flip him with Nabers

6. Jayden Daniels    ---- Risk reward here.

7. Brock Bowers ----- I don't care if he's a TE. He does so much more. He can move anywhere on the field and he's a match up nightmare.  Look at it this way, would you take 22 year Kelce that is a better blocker. Bowers in his college career, not one person could cover him !!!!!

8 Drake Maye  ---- Risk reward

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

While I agree that his drafting has been suspect and while it is okay to not like him, it's pretty crazy that you aren't giving him credit for signing Pace or these free agents... Yes, the coaches developed Pace, but Kwesi is the one who actually signed him to the roster. Not to mention that Kwesi also signed Brian Flores to be our DC. Kwesi has been on fire this offseason. 

True, but honestly Brian Flores is the reason they signed the guys they did defensively I feel.  Brian is getting his guys he wants defensively and that is kind of proven on who they are actually selecting and why.  All of the defenders they got fit what Brian Flores wants to do defensively or Brian already knows, they do not fit what Kwesi wants technically.

Yes they have to work collectively as a group to select guys and that is good, but if it was Kwesi's choice only, no way they select the players they have especially in free agency on defense.  

But of course it is not all the GM and is a collective choice, still that choice to select Lewis Cine as high as they did was totally stupid and unless he and Booth massively improve somehow, both are the worst draft picks in the first two rounds of that draft class.  That hurts an organization big time.

And any GM with a brain would have brought in Brian Flores to be the DC, the dude will be a future head coach most likely.  Not sure that is because Kwesi is so smart, it seemed pretty obvious especially after the awful defense they had when Kwesi hired Ed Donatell who is obviously crap.  So if Kwesi gets credit for Brian Flores, he also brought in Ed.....

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It might not be as exciting as when I am really pulling for a particular outcome, but I am enthralled by the flexibility the Vikings have and seeing how they use it. I can't wait to see it unfold!

True the flexibility they have is outstanding, I just hope they do not just throw it all away or should I say trade it all away.  And then they will not pick till the 4th round this year and have one QB to show for it who probably does not even start.  

I would love if Nix or Penix fell toe #23 and they get them there.  Would be cheaper also.  And yes Penix Jr does have an awful injury history but honestly that is the one major issue with him and really the only issue if one views him as a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick.  Sucks the Vikings do not have a 2nd round if he does indeed fall that far because of the injury issues, but they could always trade out of those picks to get into the 2nd if the board falls a certain way, I would do that at #23 possibly if they address OL, Edge or CB at #11.  

Ideally Maye falls to #11, but that is not super likely, but is if people over value JJ McCarthy and the Patriots do not select a QB.  

And say they do not get a QB, honestly so what. There is a draft in 2025 and if they do not trade it away will have a 1st round pick in that draft with more new potential QBs.  Roll with Darnold next year and see what happens, and maybe select a guy that falls 4th round or later like Pratt, Hartman, Travis, Tagovailoa or Milton and see what they can do sitting in the wings.  

It is honestly just nice to have a new future at QB because honestly Kirk Cousins, if they brought him back it would just be more the same and they would have a crap roster because all the free agents they brought in, none of them they could have afforded with Kirk Cousins $45 mil a year.  Four starters they got for that amount yearly....  So fill the QB spot in the draft or with Darnold for now and go from there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

True, and Asamoah not being able to out play Pace shows that someone missed on Asamoah as a draft pick possibly....  Even this up coming season, Vikings signed Cashman, Asamoah is still obviously not the guy at ILB...

Hicks was amazing for the Vikings last year I thought but he is a proven vet that took to that defense.  Hopefully Cashman stays healthy, want to talk injury issues he has only played one full years out of five and that was last year, the others he was hurt on and off a lot I believe.  

• Like 1

In my opinion it is KOC that should get credit for adding Flores to HIS staff, not really sure what say, if any, KAM has in the coaching staff at all.

And why are some blaming the GM for acquiring players the DC wants? Isn't that what we ultimately want to happen? The coaching staff and front office working together to acquire players that the coaching staff wants? What a novel idea.

• Like 3

If they hit on a franchise QB the potential 3rd first rounder being included in the trade up will be nothing but a footnote in Vikings history. That, to me, is a gamble worth taking given the situation a rookie QB would be stepping into.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

In my opinion it is KOC that should get credit for adding Flores to HIS staff, not really sure what say, if any, KAM has in the coaching staff at all.

And why are some blaming the GM for acquiring players the DC wants? Isn't that what we ultimately want to happen? The coaching staff and front office working together to acquire players that the coaching staff wants? What a novel idea.

People seem to forget that Cine, Booth and Asamoah was drafted for Donatell's defense, which certainly is a far different defense than this one.  It's up to the players to adjust, but people seem to conveniently forget those circumstances when they criticize the GM, whoever that person is.  I can guarantee you that Donatell had significant influence on the selection of those players...especially when the GM is in his first year in the position, and took over basically smack-dab in the middle, if not on the backside, of the evaluation process. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2