2023 WC Semifinals: (6) Golden State Warriors vs (7) Los Angeles Lakers

11sanchez11

I hope this year's Lakers serve as a turning point in NBA discussion (but it won't) that you can't just gather star players and win in the NBA. So many people think team building in the NBA is about luckily getting a big 3 and then you win, but that lets GM's off the hook. You can't just take any star players and put them together and have it work. Look at the Lakers with Russ, look at the Suns after adding KD. Sometimes the fit isn't there (Lakers), sometimes the depth isn't there and they don't have enough time to gel (Suns), but just getting star talents is not enough alone to win in the NBA, not anymore at least. That's why the Warriors have had so much success with actual good, natural team building. Bucks too to a lesser extent. Nuggets and Celtics to an even lesser extent. 

Lakers made a trade to get rid of a star player who never worked with the team and only got role players in his place, and it has worked out so much better than the alternative. Yeah the NBA is the easiest league to win in because of one player, but it still is a team game and casual takes just devolving into the debates being just between the #1 players on each team instead of the teams as a whole is annoying. Fit matters.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Trey Lance said:

Where does Draymond even go? Dallas? 

He has a player option. His choice just read the Shams report saying they expect Draymond to be back so idk 

Read that Kuminga wants out if they can’t give him the playing time for him to grow

4 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

I hope this year's Lakers serve as a turning point in NBA discussion (but it won't) that you can't just gather star players and win in the NBA. So many people think team building in the NBA is about luckily getting a big 3 and then you win, but that lets GM's off the hook. You can't just take any star players and put them together and have it work. Look at the Lakers with Russ, look at the Suns after adding KD. Sometimes the fit isn't there (Lakers), sometimes the depth isn't there and they don't have enough time to gel (Suns), but just getting star talents is not enough alone to win in the NBA, not anymore at least. That's why the Warriors have had so much success with actual good, natural team building. Bucks too to a lesser extent. Nuggets and Celtics to an even lesser extent. 

Lakers made a trade to get rid of a star player who never worked with the team and only got role players in his place, and it has worked out so much better than the alternative. Yeah the NBA is the easiest league to win in because of one player, but it still is a team game and casual takes just devolving into the debates being just between the #1 players on each team instead of the teams as a whole is annoying. Fit matters.

3 legit stars in their prime will always be the heavy favorite to win.  You can look at the Warriors or Suns, and make a very clear argument that there isn't 3 stars in their prime.  2 stars plus the right combination of role players is going to be the second best strategy as far as team building goes.

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

This is the earliest playoff exit for the Warriors since their first championship.

Just consistently excellent.

I mean they had a year where they lost in the play-in 0-2, but technically you're right with that format. Feels disingenuous though. Still, even counting 2021 (not counting 2020 with all the injuries and having the worst record obviously) that's 6 of the lat 7 years in the Finals at worst before this year.

Just now, CWood21 said:

3 legit stars in their prime will always be the heavy favorite to win.  You can look at the Warriors or Suns, and make a very clear argument that there isn't 3 stars in their prime.  2 stars plus the right combination of role players is going to be the second best strategy as far as team building goes.

You're kinda doing exactly what I was talking about tbh. I completely disagree. The whole point is that you can't just get 3 stars, in their prime or not, and then win. They have to fit together. I don't care if they were all in their prime, Westbrook/LeBron/AD is never working as your big 3, the fit with Russ is atrocious. Instead, they got a much better team with role players in their place. Sure, adding a superstar that fits is even better than not having one, but again, wasn't the point. The Warriors dynasty is built off of one superstar and a good system built around him with 2 "merely" all star caliber talents next to him. And even then Klay and Draymond probably would've never been all stars without coming up with the Warriors. At the least Draymond wouldn't have. KD was a superstar that fit and it made them even better, but they wouldn't have been better if they had added prime Russ or whatever other superstar that would've been a bad fit. 

1 minute ago, Spartica4Real said:

You're kinda doing exactly what I was talking about tbh. I completely disagree. The whole point is that you can't just get 3 stars, in their prime or not, and then win. They have to fit together. I don't care if they were all in their prime, Westbrook/LeBron/AD is never working as your big 3, the fit with Russ is atrocious. Instead, they got a much better team with role players in their place. Sure, adding a superstar that fits is even better than not having one, but again, wasn't the point. The Warriors dynasty is built off of one superstar and a good system built around him with 2 "merely" all star caliber talents next to him. And even then Klay and Draymond probably would've never been all stars without coming up with the Warriors. At the least Draymond wouldn't have. KD was a superstar that fit and it made them even better, but they wouldn't have been better if they had added prime Russ or whatever other superstar that would've been a bad fit. 

The only time we've seen 3 legit stars in their prime play together was the Miami Heat when Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Chris Bosh teamed up.  They went 2-2 in the NBA Finals, so they had 4 straight NBA Finals appearances during that period.  I think EVERY NBA franchise would gladly take that.

And calling Westbrook a star is a stretch.  He's a washed up star.  Think Carmelo Anthony before he bought into that elite role player he was towards the end of his career.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The only time we've seen 3 legit stars in their prime play together was the Miami Heat when Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Chris Bosh teamed up.  They went 2-2 in the NBA Finals, so they had 4 straight NBA Finals appearances during that period.  I think EVERY NBA franchise would gladly take that.

And calling Westbrook a star is a stretch.  He's a washed up star.  Think Carmelo Anthony before he bought into that elite role player he was towards the end of his career.

Not everyone will be able to obtain a prime LeBron though.