Grade Your Team's 2023 Draft Picks

Daniel

First round, 17th overall: CB Christian Gonzalez, Oregon

A+  I still can't believe we got him at 17. To trade back, block the Jets from a tackle, and get the best CB on the board and a top 5 overall prospect by all accounts? One of the best ever experiences in the draft as a Patriots fan

Second round, 46th overall: DE Keion White, Georgia Tech

A.  I'm really high on White, I listed him as a first rounder, I thought he was the best edge rusher beyond the top guys in this draft.

Third round, 76th overall: LB/S Marte Mapu, Sacramento State

D. Hate the pick, I don't know why we need another LB/S hybrid. He's either going to get blown out by Guards, or not be able to cover the faster receivers in our div. I wouldn't mind in the 5th or beyond

Fourth round, 107th overall: OL Jake Andrews, Troy

B- slightly over-drafted, but I trust this team drafting IOL. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as good as David one day

Fourth round, 112th overall: K Chad Ryland, Maryland

D. Might have needed a kicker, but so many OTs and LBs and CBs still on the board here. Drafting kickers doesn't seem productive, to me. Can get good ones in UDFA.

Fourth round, 117th overall: OL Sidy Sow, Eastern Michigan

B. So this guy is really really strong, can play across the line. He'd be a small tackle, but he's done it. Great depth to add

Fifth round, 144th overall: OL Atonio Mafi, UCLA

C+ Still learning football, very raw, but he's hella strong. Tongan, his dad played for Tonga rugby, so you know he's got insane strength. Short, sometimes immovable.

Sixth round, 187th overall: WR Kayshon Boutte, LSU

C+ I don't think he'll be any good in the NFL, I believe he won't get separation, and his route running is lazy. Also off-the-field questions. However, the value here is good. Considering what he used to be.

Sixth round, 192nd overall: P Bryce Baringer, Michigan State

C. I don't mind a K/P in the 6th, it's more palatable. 

Sixth round, 210th overall: WR Demario Douglas, Liberty

Don't know

Sixth round, 214th overall: CB Ameer Speed, Michigan State

C. I don't think he'll be in the league long, it's an athletic flier pick. But in this round, why not

Seventh round, 245th overall: CB Isaiah Bolden, Jackson State

Don't know

Overall B-

Loved the first two picks, especially Gonzalez. I'm still smiling about that. It gets a bit weirder as you go down, a bit more like we're accustomed to. We didn't make any moves up the board on Day 2 for the first time in six years despite owning a ton of fourth- and sixth-round selections to use in potential deals. 12 picks, which is a lot, but no tackles or tight ends. WR came too late, for me.

Round 1 (2) - CJ Stroud A

Round 1 (3) - Will Anderson Jr. A

Round 2 (62) - Juice Scruggs C

Round 3 (69) - Tank Dell B-

Round 4 (109) - Dylan Horton B+

Round 5 (167) - Henry To'o To'o B

Round 6 (201) - Henry Patterson A

Round 6 (205) - Xavier Hutchinson A

Round 7 (248) - Brandon Hill B

Overall B+

Our primary needs were QB, EDGE, Center and WR. We filled all our needs albeit with varying results.

Stroud and Anderson are day 1 starters and immediately two of the best players on on our roster.

Scruggs will likely be our day 1 starter at center but the draft buzz wasn't high on him so #62 seems a reach.

Tank Dell provides a nice gadget player on offense and a potential game changer on special teams, something we haven't had for a long time.

Dylan Horton I think will be a nice rotational piece on our D-line. 

I think Patterson and Hutchinson were very good pick ups in the 6th.

If you assume Anderson and Stroud fulfill their potential then the trade to move up from #12 to #3 becomes insignificant.

Round 2, Pick 63: Marvin Mims Jr | WR.

I like Mims the player but right not he is 4th with a healthy Tim Patrick. Long term it’s a good investment but a different position could have been addressed for more immediate impact. And we traded up for him.

B-

Round 3, Pick 68: Drew Sanders | LB.

This pick was my favorite. I was really high on Sanders earlier in the process and then he kind of dropped for me but I had him late 20’s-early 30’s so to get him a full 32 or more picks later is a great get. He needs to improve his tackling but he has a lot of potential as an off ball and can bring added pass rush from the interior/off the edge. 

A-

Round 3, Pick 83: Riley Moss | CB.

The player is fine and even then I am not as high on him as some others. However the trade from around 20 picks up for a 3rd next year was highway robbery. He will provide some depth maybe an eventual starter outside. But for now I can’t give this grade higher than a C factoring in trade and I am being generous.

C

Round 6, Pick 183: JL Skinner | S.

I like Skinner and he can provide that third safety behind Simmons and Sterns and a dime backer role once he is back healthy. He definitely goes earlier than this if healthy.

B+

Round 7, Pick 257: Alex Forsyth | C.

Although I liked the Sanders pick the most this is probably the best value. Forsyth has a lot of battle tested experience and we need help at C. This guy could end up starting this season somewhere down the line and to get that at pick 257 is a steal. Even if it does speak to our lack of talent at the center position as well.

A

Overall a solid class for where we picked. A couple trade ups though with loss in value especially the Moss trade brings this value down.

I will give us a solid B. Probably around 83% so closer to B- than B+

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

First round, 17th overall: CB Christian Gonzalez, Oregon

A+  I still can't believe we got him at 17. To trade back, block the Jets from a tackle, and get the best CB on the board and a top 5 overall prospect by all accounts? One of the best ever experiences in the draft as a Patriots fan

Second round, 46th overall: DE Keion White, Georgia Tech

A.  I'm really high on White, I listed him as a first rounder, I thought he was the best edge rusher beyond the top guys in this draft.

Third round, 76th overall: LB/S Marte Mapu, Sacramento State

D. Hate the pick, I don't know why we need another LB/S hybrid. He's either going to get blown out by Guards, or not be able to cover the faster receivers in our div. I wouldn't mind in the 5th or beyond

Fourth round, 107th overall: OL Jake Andrews, Troy

B- slightly over-drafted, but I trust this team drafting IOL. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as good as David one day

Fourth round, 112th overall: K Chad Ryland, Maryland

D. Might have needed a kicker, but so many OTs and LBs and CBs still on the board here. Drafting kickers doesn't seem productive, to me. Can get good ones in UDFA.

Fourth round, 117th overall: OL Sidy Sow, Eastern Michigan

B. So this guy is really really strong, can play across the line. He'd be a small tackle, but he's done it. Great depth to add

Fifth round, 144th overall: OL Atonio Mafi, UCLA

C+ Still learning football, very raw, but he's hella strong. Tongan, his dad played for Tonga rugby, so you know he's got insane strength. Short, sometimes immovable.

Sixth round, 187th overall: WR Kayshon Boutte, LSU

C+ I don't think he'll be any good in the NFL, I believe he won't get separation, and his route running is lazy. Also off-the-field questions. However, the value here is good. Considering what he used to be.

Sixth round, 192nd overall: P Bryce Baringer, Michigan State

C. I don't mind a K/P in the 6th, it's more palatable. 

Sixth round, 210th overall: WR Demario Douglas, Liberty

Don't know

Sixth round, 214th overall: CB Ameer Speed, Michigan State

C. I don't think he'll be in the league long, it's an athletic flier pick. But in this round, why not

Seventh round, 245th overall: CB Isaiah Bolden, Jackson State

Don't know

Overall B-

Loved the first two picks, especially Gonzalez. I'm still smiling about that. It gets a bit weirder as you go down, a bit more like we're accustomed to. We didn't make any moves up the board on Day 2 for the first time in six years despite owning a ton of fourth- and sixth-round selections to use in potential deals. 12 picks, which is a lot, but no tackles or tight ends. WR came too late, for me.

I really liked NE's draft.  Sow and Mafi are the two most athletic OGs in the draft and was hoping the Lions could get one of them late.  I also wish the Lions took Gonzalez at 12 instead of Gibbs. 

And I love Barringer as a Spartan.  He was a walk on punter, cut when Tucker came in, kept practicing on the IM fields on campus and after a couple injuries they brought him back as a walk on.  He improved so much on his own that they put him on scholarship and he dominated for two years.  Doesn't hurt that our OC gave him plenty of chances for long punts.  His hang time is nuts and I hope he does good things there. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Round 3: No. 74 (from NYJ) – Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee

My favorite pick from the draft. We added another big bodied WR. Berry NEEDED to fix the depth of our WR core this offseason and he did.

B+

Round 3: No. 98 – Siaki Ika, DT, Baylor

Berry also needed to add some beef to the interior of our d-line and did that with Tomlinson and Siaki. I’m just worried about his weight and conditioning.

B

Round 4: No. 111 – Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State

2nd favorite pick and could start at RT for us. Another guy who needs to watch his weight though.

B+

Round 4: No. 126 (from MIN) – Isaiah McGuire, DE, Missouri

The entire theme of this offseason was getting bigger in the trenches. Isaiah is another strong DE that fits the mold we want.

B-

Round 5: No. 140 (from LAR) – Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB, UCLA

Hopefully he develops into a solid career backup.

B-

Round 5: No. 142 – Cameron Mitchell, CB, Northwestern

Just depth at CB hopefully

C+

Round 6: No. 190 – Luke Wypler, IOL, Ohio State

I’m a homer, but he really fits schematically. We have a lot of depth at center, so not entirely sure why we picked him.

B

I think Cleveland had a great draft too with limited picks early.  I am not huge on Ika but solid that late.  McGuire I think will be the best player from your draft class and DRT is a great backup to Watson with a similar style.  Tillman was my top WR available after Rice was drafted and getting him at 74 is a great deal.  Overall solid draft for the Brownies IMO. 

R1.12 - C - Jahmyr Gibbs, RB Alabama - I just don't like the value of RBs here.  Sure some other teams seemed interested after the fact but financially and impact wise, I just don't see the value here.  The 5th year option for RBs means they have to be top 5 in the league for multiple years and even then, its not smart to pay a RB that much of your cap.  I'd rather cycle through mid rounders (Abanikanda was my mid round target) for cheap and use 12 on Gonzalez at CB or stayed at 6 and took Carter.  His value as a receiver in that Deebo role might save some value giving this pick a C. 

R1.18 - B+ - Jack Campbell, LB Iowa - I love this pick but again understand the positional value.  Given Gonzalez was off the board right in front of us, I was ok with the pick.  I wanted him as a Lion but was hoping it would be at 34 after the trade down to 12. I think Campbell was far and away the best LB in the draft with elite athleticism (9.98 RAS) and one of the highest PFF grades last year for LBs overall and in zone coverage. 

R2.34 - C - Sam Laporta, TE Iowa - I don't love the value of TE this high and honestly didn't see the need.  Last year after moving Hock we got great production out of our TE group and all are back this year.  James Mitchell will have a full offseason to practice and improve and thought he would be our lead TE this year.  Again its about positional value and unless Laporta is Kelce/Kittle/Andrews level, then I don't like the value here.  Solid player but would have been fine with Washington in the 3rd instead. 

R2.45 - A+ - Brian Branch, DB Alabama - Four picks in and only two schools we had to scout.  We revamped our DBs this offseason and love adding Branch to the mix.  I had a mid/late first round grade on him and would have loved him at 34.  Branch will have a year to play behind and with CJGJ who is here on a 1 year deal and then take over full time next year in that nickel CB/S role.  He allows us to be stronger against the run while not weakening our pass D too much.  The combine really hurt him but his tape shows he has enough speed to make plays. 

R3.68 - A - Hendon Hooker, QB Tennessee - There was talk of Hooker going in the first, and if healthy he may have.  I didn't want to take a QB this early but I also didn't think Hooker would be available.  We needed some fresh bodies at backup QB to protect ourselves if Goff goes down and to potentially develop into a starter when Goff's contract is up.  We have a 2/3 year window of control with Goff and can see how Hooker develops.  Even if he is just a solid backup/spot starter like Jacoby Brissett, that will be huge for us the next few years. 

R3.96 - D - Brodric Martin, DT Western Kentucky - I don't mind the player but we gave up a 4th and two 5ths to move up and get him.  That is a lot of capital for one player, especially one with so many question marks.  We definitely needed to address the DT position but I would have rather have grabbed Benton in the 2nd or Brooks/Ojomo later if we kept the picks and he wasn't available then.  

R5.152 - B - Colby Sorsdal, OT William & Mary - I can't pretend to know a lot about him but he was just behind Mauch in PFF ratings for FCS O lineman.  This late it is fine to take a flier on a high upside small school kid and we needed depth on the O line. 

R7.219 - B+ - Antoine Green, WR UNC - I like the player and he fills a need now that Cephus is cut for gambling and Jamo is suspended for 6 games.  He fits a similar role to what we hope to get from Jamo and allows us to run similar offense when he isn't on the field.  There are a couple guys I would have liked more here but definitely ok with the position, player and upside. 

Overall - B/B+ I think the players will all make impacts, even if I didn't grade the pick high.  We definitely got better with this draft and it fits great with our needs and I trust Holmes talent evaluation after the last two drafts here. 

• Like 2

R1.2  QB CJ Stroud:  Everyone that follows football casually knows the Texans need a QB. Since Young wasnt in play at pick 2, Stroud was the clear best choice to make.   A+

R1.3  EDGE/LB Will Anderson:  Love him as a prospect.  I was ecstatic when we traded up from 12 to get him. Sure we gave up a good amount but in the end I think it will be worth it.  A+

R2.62: C Juice Scruggs:  Center is a need for us and I commend the Texans for addressing it but Scruggs was a reach to me. Hopefully he proves me wrong.  C+

R3.69: WR Tank Dell:  As a die hard University of Houston fan I was pumped we drafted Tank.  Amazing kid with an amazing story.  I literally followed his recruitment when he was at JUCO and committed to Houston.  I knew one day he would be a NFL player.  The Stroud connection with him is going to be a joy to watch.  Best route runner in the draft at the slot position and he adds value as a return man.  A+

R4.109:  EDGE Dylan Horton:  Solid pick.  I saw him vs Michigan and he completely dominated them with 4 sacks.  Not a very good run defender but I trust DeMeco to use him correctly.  B

R5.167: ILB Henry To'oTo'o:  DeMeco clone.  I figured once we traded up to select him he would be the selection especially with the Bama connection.  Not fast enough to chase RB's on the corners or cover from sideline to sideline, but he makes plays.  I can see him taking Christian Kirksey's spot during the season.  B+

R6.201:  C Jarrett Patterson:  Center is a need for us but I didnt think we would double down on a C during the draft.  I like the fact he can play both guard and C so if one position dont work out for him he can try the other position.   B

R6.205:  WR Xavier Hutchinson:  Very productive receiver in the Big 12.  Team Captain. Ceiling could be a number 3 WR if he develops. Can't get mad at where he was selected.  B

R7.248: S Brandon Hill:  Fast safety.  I think at the least he will be a solid special teams player for us.    B

Overall:  B+

The Texans owned day 1 of the draft.  Both Stroud and Anderson will be cornerstones for the organization.  Day 2 was pretty solid as well.  Day 3 was pretty good. I love that Caserio got a 3rd rounder in 2024 to recoup the one they gave up to Arizona. Obviously every pick will not be a hit, but the chances most of the players picked will contribute on the team are high.  

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I really liked NE's draft.  Sow and Mafi are the two most athletic OGs in the draft and was hoping the Lions could get one of them late.  I also wish the Lions took Gonzalez at 12 instead of Gibbs. 

And I love Barringer as a Spartan.  He was a walk on punter, cut when Tucker came in, kept practicing on the IM fields on campus and after a couple injuries they brought him back as a walk on.  He improved so much on his own that they put him on scholarship and he dominated for two years.  Doesn't hurt that our OC gave him plenty of chances for long punts.  His hang time is nuts and I hope he does good things there. 

Well that sounds good! I did hear of his ability to flip the field, which we lacked last season.

Bears:

1.10 - Darnell Wright RT - A 
2.53 - Gervon Dexter DT - B
2.56 - Tyrique Stevenson CB - B+
3.64 - Zacch Pickens DT - B
4.115 - Roschon Johnson RB - A
4.133 - Tyler Scott WR - A+
5.148 - Noah Sewell - B-
5.165 - Terrell Smith - C
7.218 - Travis Bell - C
7.258 - Kendall Williamson - C

Overall I'm pretty happy with the draft.  Very happy they went with Wright over Skoronski, he's a much better fit at tackle, with Wright being perfect in this offense on the right side where they will play him.  Dexter is good against the run, needs to improve his first step but apparently they asked him to watch the blockers and not the ball, so there may be improvement there for pass rushing.  Stevenson will give flexibility and allow Kyler Gordon to play at nickel where he's better suited.  Pickens is bad against the run but great as a situational pass rusher with room for improvement.  Johnson and Scott are fantastic offensive skill players that will have roles in the offense on day 1.  The rest I don't really know a ton about, but on paper are all high RAS players who fill depth spots on the team, though I'd guess at least 1 or 2 wont make the final cut.

On 5/1/2023 at 11:37 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

For the Bucs:

1. 3-4 DE Cajijah Kancey - B+

Like the player, just wasn't sure where he fit in a 3-4 defense. He's a disruptive force and that rare interior guy that can beat anyone OL off the ball. I just question if he will be able to hold up against the run and not completely get washed out if the OL is able to get his hands on him and engage. 

2. OT/OG Cody Mauch - A

Love this pick. I thought he could go in late 1st round. Dude is just nasty in the run game. He's very athletic and this gives him position flexibility. He could develop into a LT, but if not your getting a potential all pro OG.

3. EDGE YaYa Diaby - B

We desperately need some pressure off the edge. Diaby brings that. He really showed immense athleticism with his combine testing, although I dont think he shows that same level on tape. He already understands how to track the QB. An important step even elite pressure guys can lack.

5. ILB SirVocea Dennis - D

Honestly, didn't know too much about him coming in. Seems like just another guy. Gambles too much. Thought there were better options still on the board.

5. TE Payne Durham - A 

Love this pick. In a normal TE class, he was probably a 3rd round pick. Just a good ole fashioned all around TE. Reminds me of Otten ironically.

6. CB Josh Hayes - B-

He's got good size for CB and looks like he can play the nickle as well. He's overly grabby though, but like his physical game.

6. WR Trey Palmer - C

We need some depth and speed at the WR spot. Palmer is a one trick pony (speedy deep threat), but plays that role well. Could develop into a better Scotty Miller.

6. EDGE Jose Ramirez - A

Might be my favorite pick in this draft. I think this kid has potential to be a diamond in the rough. His short are explosiveness and athleticism is off the charts. He's a natural pass rusher. He's not an eveydown guy because he will get picked on in run game, but he can be a weapon as a situational pass rusher.

Overall Class Grade: B+

I am a big van of the SirVocea Dennis pick.  He had the 3rd highest PFF grade for LBs in the draft behind Campbell and Pace and the highest grade against the run.  Is the most balanced LB between man and zone coverage being above 70 in both.  Has a crazy 41.5" vertical and solid athleticism all around.  I think he will be a solid rotational LB at worst and could push David in a year as he ages out.  

I loved Ramirez too and wish Detroit kept their two 5ths they traded to move up for Brodric Martin and grabbed Ramirez.  He was a top 5 edge per PFF with one of the highest pass rush grades.  A little undersized but perfect for a 3-4 OLB rush LB.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

If the Bucs were smart, they would let Sapp get involved with this one. 

That would be the worst thing they could do. Sapp is a bonafide *******. and an all around digenerant human being. There is a reason the Bucs have disassociated themselves from him over the years. Even most of his former teammates don't want anything to do with him. 

Don't want my rookie DT being around the early 2000's version of Antonio Brown.

On 5/1/2023 at 11:23 AM, candyman93 said:

Round 3: No. 98 – Siaki Ika, DT, Baylor

Berry also needed to add some beef to the interior of our d-line and did that with Tomlinson and Siaki. I’m just worried about his weight and conditioning.

I think all of that will pay off in November and weather turns bad.

• Like 1