Which HC would you say is under the most pressure this season and why?

CP3MVP

HC under the most pressure in 2023  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which HC is under the most pressure?

• Robert Saleh
    • Josh McDaniels
    • Brandon Staley
    • Mike Mccarthy
    • Ron Rivera
    • Dennis Allen
    • Todd Bowles
    • Kevin Stefanski
    • Other

A part 2 from my QB thread. If you had to pick one head coach who is under the most pressure this season who would it be and why? Here are some thoughts I have about some coaches.

A.)Josh McDaniels. Now he’s not a good HC but I don’t think he necessarily was given a fair shake because the 2021 raiders were massively overrated. It was like a 6 win team based of performance but they lucked into 10 wins due to 4th quarter miracles. So there was this idea out there that they somehow underachieved when they really just regressed back to what they actually were. Not to mention Carr was average and the defense he inherited was a dumpster fire Jimmy G is his handpicked  QB though so if they bomb he’s probably out. As long as they are mediocre though I think he will be fine and get his chance to pick a rookie QB next year. 

B.)Brandon Staley. You have Justin Herbert and in 2 years haven’t  won a playoff game. Your side of the hall has generally speaking been awful his whole time. Not to mention he oversaw one of the great playoff choke jobs in history. Guys are gonna be lined up for this job because of the market and Justin, he’s gotta do something of note this year. 

C.)Mike McCarthy. It’s funny beating one of the worst playoff teams in history actually gave him some more rope in Dallas. Jimmy is his boy so as long as that relationship is in tact he should be fine but i Don’t know how long he’s gonna be allowed to waste such a talented roster. Remember Lamb, Micah, Diggs are getting paid peanuts now. This is the time to win. 

D.)Ron Rivera. Probably the longest tenured bad coach in history. 3 winning seasons in 13 years. They signed EB as his heir apparent and if this season goes south he should finally be out and Eric will take over. Dude actually brought in Carson wentz. 

E.)Robert Saleh. This is year 3 and you finally have a Real QB now, no excuses. The first year was a disaster, the second year started off hot but had a massive collapse. Now the QB sucked but you picked him so there has to be some blame here. Is he just a really good DC or an actual head coach. I think Joe D would get a chance to pick another HC, and dudes would line up for this jets  job 

Edited by CP3MVP

McDaniels: His Denver debacle was well documented, as was the way he left Indy high and dry after accepting that job. Now in Vegas he's looking more and more like a HC charlatan...he needs to be competitive this year or he's toast forever as a HC in my opinion.

Saleh and the NYJ FO: They went all in on Aaron Rodgers and if he doesn't play well/they don't make the playoffs, they're all in big trouble

Brandon Staley: You have Herbert and can't make the playoffs/when you sneak in you lose? He's gotta go if he doesn't get it done this year IMO

Stefanski: They aren't running out the guy making a quarter of a billion guaranteed that they gave up 3 1sts + more for

If the Chargers start off slow, I see Brandon Staley as the first in-season fire. Botching a 27 point lead in the playoffs is a fireable offense in itself, but this Chargers team has been largely underwhelming despite having several strong assets.

• Like 2

First year coaches, probably won't be fired unless they're a disaster:

• Gannon
  • Reich
  • Payton
  • Ryans
  • Steichen

Safe unless they murder someone or retire on their own terms:

• Reid
  • McVay
  • Sirianni
  • O'Connell
  • Daboll
  • Pederson
  • Taylor

Safe barring a complete disaster of a season(bottom 5 or worse with them losing the locker room):

• Tomlin
  • Carroll
  • Shanahan
  • LaFleur

Should be fine, but could be a surprise departure:

• Belichick: A lot of smoke is there for a potential Coughlinesque departure
  • Harbaugh: They paid Lamar, now they need results
  • McDermott: Bills might get tired of falling short again if he can't get it done with Allen and all this talent
  • McDaniel: It's no secret that Ross wanted Payton and he doesn't seem exactly patient

Seat could warm up quickly, if not this year then next:

• Vrabel: Since the AFC Championship appearance, the Titans have largely disappointed come January, and I don't see them being very good this year. Carthon and the new front office might prefer someone new who can develop Levis into their QB of the future.
  • Arthur Smith: They probably use this year to see what they have in Ridder, but if they're at least not competitive for the weak NFC South, his seat is definitely red hot in 2024, if he survives next offseason
  • Campbell: Being beloved among the players, management, and fans probably gives him a longer leash than most coaches, but everyone fully expects the Lions to make the playoffs this year and the they haven't exactly been known to be patient with their coaches
  • Eberflus: Everyone expects Fields to take the next step this year, but if he doesn't at least he wasn't Eberflus's guy. However, don't think another 3-14 season would be very appreciated.

And now for the 8 coaches listed in the poll, who I think are very much at risk of being fired this year:

• 8. McDaniels: The Raiders were pretty slow to fire Gruden and Mark Davis already gave McDaniels a fat contract too, unless they finish bottom 5 I think he gets another year
  • 7. Bowles: Can point to losing Brady and a ton of other talent and winning the division last year, even if it was a one and done 8-9 season. 
  • 6. Allen: Needs to at least be competitive for the weak NFC South to keep his job
  • 5. Stefanski: Being the first Browns coach since 2002 to make the playoffs gives him a bit of leeway, but after two years of failure and signing off on the Watson trade, not at least being a playoff contender will be a failure
  • 4. Saleh: Playoffs or bust
  • 3. McCarthy: NFC Championship or bust
  • 2. Staley: Contender to get fired midseason, most likely gone if the Chargers don't at least win a playoff game
  • 1. Rivera: Probably gone unless the Commanders make the playoffs, only reason he's still here is because of the ownership limbo

• Like 2

For me, it's Saleh and I don't envy his position. He's supposed to be building this franchise his way and already in the 3rd year they've gone out and changed his team to Aaron Rodgers team with Rodgers picking his WRs and tons of media focus and expectations. And if we've known anything, once things go bad for Rodgers, he throws his HCs under the bus. 

Browns need to make the playoffs. Maybe Stefanski sticks around if we miss the playoffs after a slow start but finish the year strong. But more than likely it's playoffs or bust.

All those guys are under some pressure, but yeah, I'd say Saleh is probably #1.

Gotta be Stefanski. We have invested too much into Watson unfortunately. If he can’t make Watson work, he’s gone…even if it’s not his fault. Stefanski’s offense is not a fit with Watson to begin with. I like Stefanski more than I like Watson, but let’s be real: Stefanski will be gone way before Watson. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

For me, it's Saleh and I don't envy his position. He's supposed to be building this franchise his way and already in the 3rd year they've gone out and changed his team to Aaron Rodgers team with Rodgers picking his WRs and tons of media focus and expectations. And if we've known anything, once things go bad for Rodgers, he throws his HCs under the bus. 

“His way” has been a disastrous first year and a collapse his second year.

You think Rodgers was just thrown on him and he had zero input?

41 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Saleh picked Zach Wilson? News to me. If Rodgers sucks but the Jets' defense looks as good as it did last year, do they really fire Saleh? Where would be the logic in that?

Yeah the HC is involved in picking the QB who goes 2nd overall. It’s a team decision. 

If Rodgers does well then by this logic he gets zero credit because he had nothing or no say in this trade?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Gotta be Stefanski. We have invested too much into Watson unfortunately. If he can’t make Watson work, he’s gone…even if it’s not his fault. Stefanski’s offense is not a fit with Watson to begin with. I like Stefanski more than I like Watson, but let’s be real: Stefanski will be gone way before Watson. 

I think the GM and the HC have to be out if the browns stink this year. Unless Berry is gonna get another HC to pick. 

They basically put their careers on the line with this Watson trade. They won’t get the same pass as last year

Edited by CP3MVP
  • Like 1

Everybody knows Bowles is getting fired after this season, his seat is hot but it’s more like an obvious ending at this point.  

This is a transitional year for Tampa and they’re gonna draft a QB in the top 10 with a new HC 

Edited by CP3MVP

24 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Yeah the HC is involved in picking the QB who goes 2nd overall. It’s a team decision. 

If Rodgers does well then by this logic he gets zero credit because he had nothing or no say in this trade?

He shouldn't and wouldn't get massive credit for Rodgers doing well, no. That's a pretty absurd comparison.