Devils 2023 Prospect Rankings

devils1854

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Tyler Black belongs somewhere on this list.

Before the season, there was nothing(prep/college performance, tools, MILB performance) to warrant him being on the list. He's playing well at the moment, but its going to take more than a month for me to move him up a list because I dont think he has any plus tools. I dont believe in the power. I dont believe in the speed. The hit tool is obviously his best, but I still see it around a 55 at the moment. If he continues his hot start and it lasts throughout the season, then Ill definitely reconsider, but its too early to say that he's improved multiple aspects of the game with this small data point. 

17 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Great stuff here Devils! Also interested in hearing why you decided to leave Cooper Hjerpe out of the Cardinals top 10. 

Also, I look forward to your draft rankings, Mocks and knowledge on prospects every year, are we gonna get that this year? 

I havent seen enough of Hjerpe at the professional level. My opinion on him is still mostly from his time at Oregon State since he didnt pitch in the organization last year after being drafted. 

I hope to get something done by the end of the month on the draft. I probably wont be as in depth since I havent done as much research this year.

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

Before the season, there was nothing(prep/college performance, tools, MILB performance) to warrant him being on the list. He's playing well at the moment, but its going to take more than a month for me to move him up a list because I dont think he has any plus tools. I dont believe in the power. I dont believe in the speed. The hit tool is obviously his best, but I still see it around a 55 at the moment. If he continues his hot start and it lasts throughout the season, then Ill definitely reconsider, but its too early to say that he's improved multiple aspects of the game with this small data point. 

He's always had plus speed with a plus hit tool. He hit .281/.406/.424 with a 137 wRC+ last year in 283 PA. I'll trust his bat over the DSL lottery ticket and Ethan Small is a nothing burger prospect at this point.

Edited by beekay414

57 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

I havent seen enough of Hjerpe at the professional level. My opinion on him is still mostly from his time at Oregon State since he didnt pitch in the organization last year after being drafted. 

I hope to get something done by the end of the month on the draft. I probably wont be as in depth since I havent done as much research this year.

That's almost always be design.  They usually don't have their college pitchers pitch much in the year they're draft instead resting their arms.  He's probably the 3rd best SP prospect in the farm system unless you're still high on Matthew Liberatore.

On 5/12/2023 at 3:33 PM, devils1854 said:

How high are you on PCA? I dont know if Ive ever heard your thoughts on him. 

I'm lower on him than you are.  His aggressiveness at the plate just concerns me too much to really go "all-in".  But I'd be an idiot if I still didn't have him as the Cubs' top prospect.  Really high floor and the tools to have a legit ceiling as well.  I'm just more pessimistic that he reaches the ceiling.

On 5/12/2023 at 3:43 PM, devils1854 said:

Ive read one small article about the swing changes the Orioles have done since being drafted. Will that do anything to help with breaking pitches? I guess we will see. 

Interesting.  I hadn't seen that.  I will definitely be watching Beavers a bit more now.

On 5/15/2023 at 10:31 AM, hrubes20 said:

I'm lower on him than you are.  His aggressiveness at the plate just concerns me too much to really go "all-in".  But I'd be an idiot if I still didn't have him as the Cubs' top prospect.  Really high floor and the tools to have a legit ceiling as well.  I'm just more pessimistic that he reaches the ceiling.

Interesting.  I hadn't seen that.  I will definitely be watching Beavers a bit more now.

This is the article I read on Beavers swing changes

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/sports/orioles-dylan-beavers-swing-changes-RVQZD2JMGVGIZE4PMCUOM7W5PE/#:~:text=The solution%2C he said%2C was,ball in his spring swings.

and it is a little concerning with PCA that hes now gone almost 90 games above low A and his walk rate is under 5%. He's still not striking out and he's clearly an above average hitter at the AA level currently, but he definitely needs to refine his approach. 

How concerned are you with Elijah Green's strike out numbers so far?  And the lack of power? 

I know his swing and miss tendency was a major concern in the draft process but didn't see a 45% K rate coming. Especially with only 2 HR's.  His BABIP is insane but his walk rate is solid.  And his speed is showing up but that swing and miss issue is real. 

On 5/26/2023 at 11:38 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

How concerned are you with Elijah Green's strike out numbers so far?  And the lack of power? 

I know his swing and miss tendency was a major concern in the draft process but didn't see a 45% K rate coming. Especially with only 2 HR's.  His BABIP is insane but his walk rate is solid.  And his speed is showing up but that swing and miss issue is real. 

It does seem like everything is as advertised but the Ks and power, and the lack of power is probably somewhat a product of the Ks. He's walking at a very high rate. The OBP is .350. He's stealing like crazy. Id love to see the data on how hard he is hitting the ball when he makes contact. and yeah, the 42% K rate is super concerning, even for a 19 year old in A ball. He might be the next Jo Adell. All the talent in the world. He just doesnt have the hit tool., and I was super high on Adell. 

Im not giving up on him and I really havent heard any info about why he is striking out. All I hear is that he is striking out and its bad. Once I hear about why, Ill be able to rate my concern. If I did redo my rankings right now, he would probably drop further than anyone at the moment. 

On 5/6/2023 at 10:47 AM, devils1854 said:

I wanted any reason to have Elly De La Cruz as my #1 player here. 70 power and 70 speed. Almost like Oneil Cruz. He doesnt quite have the 70 arm that Oneil possesses. Unfortunately, I could not find enough reasons to have Elly above Henderson.

EDLC has the hardest thrown ball in the field in the minors AND the majors so far this year.  Had something like a 99.5 mph throw to first.

Edited by THE DUKE

10 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

EDLC has the hardest thrown ball in the field in the minors AND the majors so far this year.  Had something like a 99.5 mph throw to first.

And the only player since the stat was tracked (or team even) to hit three balls in the same game with a 116mph exit velocity.  And did it from both sides of the plate.  He is insane.   

9 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Ethan Salas being promoted to full season A ball as a 16 year old catcher is extremely impressive.  Yes, I know he turned 17 only 2 days later, but I don't care.

5-15 with 7 BB and 5 K in his first 22 PA as well. Only one XBH but that plate discipline is real. Kid is going to be special.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:23 AM, THE DUKE said:

Yeah, my grade was not quite high enough. The kid is crazy special.