Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

These are the plays that concern me regarding Love, for several reasons. First, he has two open options and doesn't hit either one. But worse for me is that he doesn't throw this ball to Reed who immediately looks back for the ball in the middle of the field. 

Now I'm not an NFL QB and I'd like to see one break down the play, but I'd imagine most would say this is a read the QB needs to make in his sleep. Love needs to recognize the defense and pretty much know at the snap he's going to have Reed open over the middle before that safety overtop has time to come down. Yet...he doesn't see it, and worse doesn't even throw it, instead he goes to Watson, and is significantly late on the throw to him as well.

Just not good all the way around and the mental part of this entire sequence is what scares me the most about Love. 

Reed is clearing out for Watson, and Watson is open. He missed the throw, the read is fine. That's the same route concept that got Wicks his reception in the 3rd.

The concept is dagger.

dagger-pic.png

The only stage we've reached is the Jordan Love isn't going to take the league by storm right out of the gate stage. In other words, we can't already tell that he's going to be a superstar 6 games in like Maholmes. The list is long on both sides of QBs who looked mediocre to bad at the 7 career starts mark who wound up being franchise QBs (ex. Aikman and Steve Young) and those who never caught on (Jamarcus Russell, Leaf, Mirer).

That leaves us with some people still having hope and some people who have already written Jordan Love off. Half will be right and half will be wrong. The half that winds up being right will think they're capable talent evaluators when in reality they won a coin toss.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

The only stage we've reached is the Jordan Love isn't going to take the league by storm right out of the gate stage. In other words, we can't already tell that he's going to be a superstar 6 games in like Maholmes. The list is long on both sides of QBs who looked mediocre to bad at the 7 career starts mark who wound up being franchise QBs (ex. Aikman and Steve Young) and those who never caught on (Jamarcus Russell, Leaf, Mirer).

That leaves us with some people still having hope and some people who have already written Jordan Love off. Half will be right and half will be wrong. The half that winds up being right will think they're capable talent evaluators when in reality they won a coin toss.

Bottom line is it's just too early to tell how good Love will or won't be. Definitely need more time to determine. I'm not making excuses for him because he has stuff to clean up, but it sure would be nice to see what he may he able to do if the OL, RB, and WR groups were not consistently missing games. The rash of injuries certainly has not helped. Couple that with youth on the offense and it's been challenging.

• Like 1

Here's another one the haterz probably chalk up as Love being inaccurate. Watson runs this post like it's 2 high, Love correctly reads it as 1 high. They show two high presnap so maybe Watson gets it in his head how he needs to run the route and doesn't see the one safety come down in a "robber" technique.

This **** is was happens when you put a bunch of first and second year starters in a room together, and before you haterz cry that Gute should've had a better plan then, you don't learn to fix this stuff without live reps.

Moral of the story, anyone who has come to a conclusion on any QB, WR or TE on this team doesn't know football.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Here's another one the haterz probably chalk up as Love being inaccurate. Watson runs this post like it's 2 high, Love correctly reads it as 1 high. They show two high presnap so maybe Watson gets it in his head how he needs to run the route and doesn't see the one safety come down in a "robber" technique.

This **** is was happens when you put a bunch of first and second year starters in a room together, and before you haterz cry that Gute should've had a better plan then, you don't learn to fix this stuff without live reps.

Moral of the story, anyone who has come to a conclusion on any QB, WR or TE on this team doesn't know football.

YEAH BUT KURT BENKERT WAS A BAD QB SO IT DOESN'T COUNT

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Question for the people who know football: How long should I expect it to take for Watson, who has 17 regular season games under his belt, to learn how to run a route correctly? Do they learn that in year 3? 4? Thanks in advance. 

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Question for the people who know football: How long should I expect it to take for Watson, who has 17 regular season games under his belt, to learn how to run a route correctly? Do they learn that in year 3? 4? Thanks in advance. 

He needs to be on the field to learn how to run a route and that's proving to be difficult so far. I think Gute is a top GM, but man it's starting to get hard to defend some of his moves.

-Reaching for Dillon in the 2nd round

-Meyers over Creed

-Trading up and taking Pickens over Watson

Those 3 have been head scratchers. Feels at times he tries to outsmart himself. 

Edited by Mdpackfan22

40 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

In college you run a route based on a playcall. In the NFL you run a route most often based on the coverage/alignment the defense gives you. Whole new ball game. It's why year 3 is traditionally the breakout year for WRs. Watson has that stretch last year because he's just that much better of an athlete than everyone else. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

In college you run a route based on a playcall. In the NFL you run a route most often based on the coverage/alignment the defense gives you. Whole new ball game. It's why year 3 is traditionally the breakout year for WRs. Watson has that stretch last year because he's just that much better of an athlete than everyone else. 

Watson has ability to have big games now and then based on his athletic ability, but that's largely why he'll be a guy who goes for 5-150-2 one game and then 2-18-0 over the next 3 games and then rinse/repeat. That's the type of player I envision him being, not a consistent 7-90-1 type of guy. I think they'll be some wow plays (as we have already seen from him) but you'll never confuse him for a polished NFL route runner. I'll be extremely surprised if I end up being wrong on that. 

5 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

It's more exact than a coin toss. There are things that are fixable for a QB and things that are not. If a QB struggled with the things that are fixable, it's a smart bet to keep working on him.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Year 4.  Year three will look better, but year 4 is when you will see the light really come on.

Contract year.

That and this...he was so raw coming out that it was going to take time for him.  He's fortunate to have had Cobb and Lazard for a year to show him the ropes.  But now he's on his own.  It's going to take time.  He's going to be a constant tease.  Right until he needs to be paid.

43 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Watson had that stretch because he had some good vets telling how to view things and a QB who could do that as well.

It will take Watson 4 years to get it down, a year longer than it should, just because he's so raw and we have no one to really help him out in terms of seeing the game within the game.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Watson had that stretch because he had some good vets telling how to view things and a QB who could do that as well.

It will take Watson 4 years to get it down, a year longer than it should, just because he's so raw and we have no one to really help him out in terms of seeing the game within the game.

And he's missing reps because he's injured too much

I think Love is going to wind up okay, but the deck is stacked against him with a leaky Oline and inexperience at WR & TE.  There are way to many mistakes happening in from of Love, and it's effecting his performance.  He's got his own issues to improve on, and then throw in this other stuff and we're not seeing a true picture of what he can be.  If I was Gute I would be in the market for a LT, and maybe a veteran WR and/or TE as well.