Camp/OTA News

ET80

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

That being said, Tank showed why he was drafted so high and I understand why CJ was trying to force it in there. Just don't next time, young fellas... take what the defense is giving you.

I think that’s the conversation with Case today in film study. I think everyone understands my feelings on Case Keenum when he first got his start here, but… a decade later, I saw Case conduct a master class in taking what the defense gave to him. He threw the ball to the guy most likely to make a play, put the ball in a spot where his guy could get it and had that offense humming.

Case needs to really break the film down to Stroud today and get him to see what he was doing. 

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

Nico absolutely PWNED Gonzalez (he was a draft fav of mine, but you can see why Gonzalez slipped in the draft).

I think it’s no secret that I’m high on Collins as a WR. That play gives me hope - but I just can’t shake the thought that he might be a preseason warrior, that guy who looks like he took a step after a few preseason games. I remember feeling very high on him after he Mossed the Saints secondary last season; So, while I agree he completely bodied Christian Gonzalez (who I was also VERY high on) I have to see some regular season moments to really buy it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Any chance Jared Wayne makes the roster?

‘Meco seemingly loves him and the position really lacks, so there’s a chance - but I do think guys like Metchie, Tank and Hutchinson take priority with the two vets (Collins and Woods). If Wayne goes out and has a Victor Cruz or Adam Theilen-like game, he definitely gets in the discussion.

Wayne might be a high priority PS guy. Ryans definitely wants him here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tab said:

is it bad that I think Case should be the starter for awhile? 

I’m leaning that direction too. Case to start, Mills to back up and Stroud to sit. By the bye week, evaluate where Stroud is and make a decision to keep him sitting the entire year or putting him in the lineup. 

I do think Stroud is going to be a quality QB, but I also think he’s a guy who will be defined by his supporting cast - and with a WR depth chart with Robert Woods and Nico Collins atop it, I don’t think this is a unit capable of defining anyone. 

Bringing in a quality WR is probably priority #1 next off season. Bring ‘em in and then give Stroud the keys - I’m good with that.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I’m leaning that direction too. Case to start, Mills to back up and Stroud to sit. By the bye week, evaluate where Stroud is and make a decision to keep him sitting the entire year or putting him in the lineup. 

I do think Stroud is going to be a quality QB, but I also think he’s a guy who will be defined by his supporting cast - and with a WR depth chart with Robert Woods and Nico Collins atop it, I don’t think this is a unit capable of defining anyone. 

Bringing in a quality WR is probably priority #1 next off season. Bring ‘em in and then give Stroud the keys - I’m good with that.

If, and that is a big if, they were not to start Stroud, I wouldn't go Case. My love for him as a player is very much stated but we know who Case is and preseason success doesn't change that. Go Mills if the intent is to let CJ sit. See what you have with him around competent coaches. At best, you may be able to get draft capital for him. I still would start Stroud but games 2 and 3 of the preseason should show his progress along with the joint practices. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blaze said:

If, and that is a big if, they were not to start Stroud, I wouldn't go Case. My love for him as a player is very much stated but we know who Case is and preseason success doesn't change that. Go Mills if the intent is to let CJ sit. See what you have with him around competent coaches. At best, you may be able to get draft capital for him. I still would start Stroud but games 2 and 3 of the preseason should show his progress along with the joint practices. 

Only reason I’d suggest Case over Mills - I believe Case is much faster in processing what’s in front of him and where to go once he reads the defense. That’s to be expected from a long term vet in the league, not much out there than can really phase him.

Mills is the superior athlete and has better arm talent - but his processing is proven to be poor and he has the uncanny ability to make the worst possible decision in the biggest moment. While I do think there’s something to be said about Tim Kelly and Pep Hamilton ruining his thinking and progression ability, a lot of those single plays where Mills just botched the play is simply on Mills not doing the right thing - making the wrong read or making the worst possible throw. 

All this being said, I’m not married to either starting - whoever comes out on top in joint practices and preseason games should get the job. In a perfect world, that guy who comes out on top …is the #2 pick in the draft.

15 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

People are acting like we have competent offensive coaches. We don’t have offensive coaches who have proved anything. 

I've seen enough in a one preseason game from this staff to let me know it will be worlds better than the offense ran under o brien, culley and lovie. 

• Like 1