Training Camp and Preseason

onejayhawk

11 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

CEH on top? This feels like a gigantic stretch unless others aren’t healthy enough to compete.

I do still feel like CEH is our most complete back.   He’s just never healthy and doesn’t do much in ROP’s.    Either way,  I don’t really care who we throw back there anymore.  Andy will production out of whoever is back there 

3 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

CEH on top? This feels like a gigantic stretch unless others aren’t healthy enough to compete.

Why? Clyde was easily the best RB in camp last year. 

I am assuming that Pacheco is not 100% due to his surgery. That leaves Clyde, McKinnon, Prince, and a list of UDFA. CEH should be at the top of that group.

19 hours ago, RedGold said:

I do still feel like CEH is our most complete back.   He’s just never healthy and doesn’t do much in ROP’s.    Either way,  I don’t really care who we throw back there anymore.  Andy will production out of whoever is back there 

I think he's probably the most refined (if that makes sense) but he's just so mid in all aspects of his game. Barring injury and with how up against the cap we are id place a small wager he's not on the roster come regular season.

27 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I think he's probably the most refined (if that makes sense) but he's just so mid in all aspects of his game. Barring injury and with how up against the cap we are id place a small wager he's not on the roster come regular season.

Yeah I wouldn’t bet against you,  he’s just not available enough.   I do think he still has a skillset none of the others have though.   His feet/contact balance would sure help in short yardage.  If you could put his feet on Pacheco, that would be something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I wouldn't take the bet but I don't agree. Clyde has been the best RB whenever he's been healthy.

Since he seems fully healthy and this is a contract year, I expect the team to allow him to showcase his talents. That lasts as long as that lasts. It will allow Pacheco to get fully rehabbed and McKinnon was never in competition for snaps. 

As for the cap, I thought cap space was the point of redoing the Chris Jones contract.

This is one of what will be a large number of articles outlining position battles. Very few positions are really open, but there is a constant struggle for playing time. This article outlines WR depth, DE, SS, RB3.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_2023_training_camp_most_fascinating_position_battles/s1_16880_39030387

This one gives you background on several rookies who should have a shot at the 53-man roster or the practice squad
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-rookies-to-watch-training-camp-2023-wanya-morris-felix-anudike-uzomah-rashee-rice/

Edited by onejayhawk

Not sure what CJ is actually shooting for but if he's going for Donald money I'm not sure we could realistically pull it off without losing Creed, Trey, (maybe) Willie and a bunch of younger guys. I could see a hard decision being made that won't be fan friendly but overall best for the teams future.

These are the times I don't envy Veach's job.

16 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Not sure what CJ is actually shooting for but if he's going for Donald money I'm not sure we could realistically pull it off without losing Creed, Trey, (maybe) Willie and a bunch of younger guys. I could see a hard decision being made that won't be fan friendly but overall best for the teams future.

These are the times I don't envy Veach's job.

As you age, my thinking is, the more you need training camp. Too many "NFL stars" think they're too good, they can just skip part or all of training camp. It's a mistake IMO that can lead to injury in the short term.

I don't think there is any way the Chiefs don't keep at least six WR. Even then there are seven players contending.

The givens are KD, MVS, Skyy, and Rice. That means Justin Watson, Richie James, and Justyn Ross are vying for two spots. Watson was third on the team in snaps last season and has a leg up as the de facto blocking WR. Richie James made a splash in the first practice and has a solid reputation. That means Justyn Ross has a steep hill to climb. 

Update: Richie James, like Kadarius Toney last season, knows the framework of the offense from the Gisnt's Mike Kafka. RJ's adjustment has been quick and Mahomes seems to trust him. A reliable veteran who gets yards after the catch is worth watching. Justyn Ross also knows the offense and he has impressed.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/7/23/23804903/chiefs-training-camp-full-team-practice
https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/07/23/chiefs-patrick-mahomes-richie-james-news

Edited by onejayhawk

46 minutes ago, Habbsawce said:

If Jones wants 30 and refuses to go lower, he'll be moved you'd think.

I agree, there's just no way possible we could accommodate that type of cap hit. 

I just hope he realizes that the Aaron Donald contract wasn't meant to be a trend setter.

• Like 1