49era 2023 OTA thread

49erurtaza

Listening to Haberman and middlekauf and the former said based on what he saw today, if Lance is ahead of Darnold on the depth chart, it's because that's what shanny wants. He didn't think Lance looked any better than Darnold. 

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Listening to Haberman and middlekauf and the former said based on what he saw today, if Lance is ahead of Darnold on the depth chart, it's because that's what shanny wants. He didn't think Lance looked any better than Darnold. 

Hasn't he been pretty anti-Lance to this point or was that Middlekauf? I know one of them wasn't a big fan. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Hasn't he been pretty anti-Lance to this point or was that Middlekauf? I know one of them wasn't a big fan. 

Middlekauf has stated he's basically out on Lance because that's what the 49ers are showing him through their actions and words. He hasn't said he has an inside source saying so, just reading the tea leaves, essentially. Haberman followed suit. 

I don't think they're Lance haters, but they're also not hyping him up anymore until Lance's on-field play warrants it. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Middlekauf has stated he's basically out on Lance because that's what the 49ers are showing him through their actions and words. He hasn't said he has an inside source saying so, just reading the tea leaves, essentially. Haberman followed suit. 

I don't think they're Lance haters, but they're also not hyping him up anymore until Lance's on-field play warrants it. 

I don't watch/listen them religiously, but it seemed like one of them was pretty down on him last offseason. 

32 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don't watch/listen them religiously, but it seemed like one of them was pretty down on him last offseason. 

It was Jon. He was not a fan of just handing the starting job to Lance out of training camp last season and thought the injury recovery and follow-up procedure were big red flags. 

Prior to that, both guys were massive Lance fans after he was drafted. They soured on Lance as time went on and as Purdy emerged.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Sounds like the 49ers lol 

It blows to waste all those picks, but hopefully they really have something in Purdy to make up for it. Those missed firsts may bite the hell out of the roster eventually

• Like 1

Usually I don't care much about the "so and so got into shape and looks great" stories (see kinlaw last year), but I will say that Drake Jackson looks great compared to last year. He's heavier and actually looks leaner. When he was drafted last year, he looked on the chunky side. Think it was a lot of bad weight

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Usually I don't care much about the "so and so got into shape and looks great" stories (see kinlaw last year), but I will say that Drake Jackson looks great compared to last year. He's heavier and actually looks leaner. When he was drafted last year, he looked on the chunky side. Think it was a lot of bad weight

He was also 20 when he was drafted. I thought he might do better than he did in his rookie year, but I always expecting a second year jump; that was assuming he was willing to put in the work.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GW21 said:

He was also 20 when he was drafted. I thought he might do better than he did in his rookie year, but I always expecting a second year jump; that was assuming he was willing to put in the work.

Jackson said it himself - last year, he was not doing the extra work to take care of his body early in the season and it ended up costing him essentially the second half of the season. He also never played more than 11 games in college and our season last year was 20. 

I think it's safe to say that he may have came in with a bit of an inflated ego, but I think that's out of him now. He seems to have really put in the work to get better. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Jackson said it himself - last year, he was not doing the extra work to take care of his body early in the season and it ended up costing him essentially the second half of the season. He also never played more than 11 games in college and our season last year was 20. 

I think it's safe to say that he may have came in with a bit of an inflated ego, but I think that's out of him now. He seems to have really put in the work to get better. 

It's always so tough knowing how these guys will handle any hiccups, especially as fans not having the opportunity to see how they interviewed and all that.

It was very clear that he has the tools to be a big time player, but some guys are just happy to be in the NFL (See Aaron Lynch) and have no drive to reach their potential. 

I'm super happy to see that he's seemingly put in the work and is ready to become the player we thought he could be when we drafted him. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 8:03 AM, Forge said:

It blows to waste all those picks, but hopefully they really have something in Purdy to make up for it. Those missed firsts may bite the hell out of the roster eventually

It 100% will. Look at our offensive line. 

I think our coaching staff does a great job covering up weaknesses, but there will be a debt to be paid. And if Brock/Lance/Sam(?) prove to be nothing more than career backups, then we’ll come crashing down into a rebuild in loke, 2025.

then again, they’ve collectively missed on a ton of early round picks already… yet here we are 

• Like 2