2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

7 hours ago, dbears1 said:

Does anyone think that Vita Vea DT Washington would be worth the number 8.

I don't. I think he can be a massive run stuffer but I just dont think he will have the pass rush ability to be worth a top 10 pick. 

9 hours ago, dbears1 said:

We can move Goldman to RE and he can be a dominate run stuffer at NT.  I don't think its out of the question and he fills a big need. 

10 hours ago, dbears1 said:

I def don’t think so not at #8 he reminds me of Shelton and we saw how that worked out for the Browns. There will be players on the boards that can make a bigger impact in more critical positions  than the “run stuffing NT” IMO.

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

We can move Goldman to RE and he can be a dominate run stuffer at NT.  I don't think its out of the question and he fills a big need. 

It’s a need but I don’t think DL is a big need for us at all. To me DL is a depth player need. 

Run stuffing DL isn't a major need to me. We already have Goldman and Hicks, and we will spend 50% of our snaps in a nickel formation. I don't want to spend the 8th overall pick on a guy that will be rotated out that much, the 20s on sure, but not a top 10 spot. You can get a dominant run stuffer for less than $7 mil per year, look at Beau Allen. He is getting $5 mil a year and that is well worth it for one of the best run stuffing DL in the NFL. (Would have loved having him here and doing exactly as you said)

As a DL to me you aren't top 10 worthy unless you can rush the passer, to be honest if you are a great passrusher but suck vs the run (think Aldon Smith while he was with Fangio) then you're still worth a top 10 pick every year. You can get guys to play 2 downs in mid rounds who do one thing well, no reason to waste our 1st on it.

We need (in no real order) -  EDGE, OT, OG, ILB. Those are our biggest needs, then comes potential depth like run stuffers, NB to compete with Callahan, etc.

Wow I’m in the minority here but Vea has about zero bust factor and he is plug and play. Guys that effect the trenches are always worth it in the end. Vea won’t be a sexy pick but Vea will shut down the run and force teams into predictable one dimensional offenses. 

A few FAs that would be good fits for us...

RB Charles Sims...good hands and when he was coming of college was compared by many to Forte...capable 3rd down back if we don't bring back Cummingham.

WR Jeremy Maclin...a ton of system knowledge and would speed up the learning curve...also adds a vet to the WR room.

WR Brice Butler...one trick pony but that one trick is betting guys deep for TDs...extensive special teams history as well...upgrade on Inman.

TE...Troy Niklas...for the love of all that's holy sign this guy as a 3rd TE for blocking situations and save money on Sims.

OT...LaAdrian Waddle...instant competition for Massie...at worse would be one of the better swing tackles in the league.

NT...Bennie Logan, Sylvester Williams or Johnathan Hankins...interchangeable early down NTs who add depth and help keep Goldman & Hicks fresh.

ILB...Ramik Wilson & Gerald Hodges...both athletic depth ILBs who would add to our special teams as well.

OLB...Marquis Flowers...not an outstanding pass rusher but versatile and would add depth alongside Lynch & Acho.

CB...Ross Cockrell...classic Fangio CB who has a similar skillset to Carlos Rodgers...would be excellent depth behind Fuller & Prince.

S...Kenny Vaccaro...versatile DB/LB...might be nothing more than depth but if used right could be real useful.

Archived