2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

Also, the Kyle fuller situation makes me a bit nervous. A team could really put the bears in a tough spot with a backloaded deal. If structured right, it could interfere with Mitch's(Hopeful) megadeal and signing other in-house players

Just now, Blaize4488 said:

Also, the Kyle fuller situation makes me a bit nervous. A team could really put the bears in a tough spot with a backloaded deal. If structured right, it could interfere with Mitch's(Hopeful) megadeal and signing other in-house players

If he wants to be here I think we can just match the parameters of the deal... plus what player doesn't want to get paid now/up-front rather than down the line?

5 minutes ago, Blaize4488 said:

By then the cap will be 250 million.

Also, Fuller would not want a backloaded deal, it makes it less likely for him to get that cash and earn the interest on the investment of it.

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Seems only fair to raid the Dolphins. They took Adam Gase and therefore any chance of the John Fox era getting winn-y.  

Actually perhaps that helped us out.... lets raid them anyway though. 

I think Gase has looked completely overrated. He was predictable here and hasn't done much there as a HC.

Still much better than Loggains as an OC and Fox as a HC, but still.

19 minutes ago, Blaize4488 said:

We aren't landing a ton of big options, so say Fuller and Watkins are the two big catches, I say front load them both.

CB – Kyle Fuller – 5 years, $57 million, $27 mil guaranteed (13/10/10/10/14 structure)

WR – Sammy Watkins – 5 years, $65 million, $40 mil guaranteed (18/12/11/11/13 structure)

That eats $31 of about $90 mil this year, but from here on out they combine for only $22 mil in their biggest year before year 5. By then restructures are available, guaranteed cash is gone, etc. We can still have a ton of maneuverability for Mitch after his 5 years are done on the rookie deal.

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

If he wants to be here I think we can just match the parameters of the deal... plus what player doesn't want to get paid now/up-front rather than down the line?

Exactly. He is going to get to pick the deal, it doesn't just go by AAV or highest total value. He will pick the one that is most advantageous for him (and rightfully so) and that is almost never a backloaded deal.

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

We aren't landing a ton of big options, so say Fuller and Watkins are the two big catches, I say front load them both.

CB – Kyle Fuller – 5 years, $57 million, $27 mil guaranteed (13/10/10/10/14 structure)

WR – Sammy Watkins – 5 years, $65 million, $40 mil guaranteed (18/12/11/11/13 structure)

That eats $31 of about $90 mil this year, but from here on out they combine for only $22 mil in their biggest year before year 5. By then restructures are available, guaranteed cash is gone, etc. We can still have a ton of maneuverability for Mitch after his 5 years are done on the rookie deal.

That is the best thing Pace has done for this team in bold right there.  I like his hires this year, I like his choice of QB (I think?) but the best moves might be the ones he didn't make.  The Bears are positioned well to be good, and have more ability than usual to stay good.  From here on I think it depends on the ability (mostly the coaching staff and Trubisky's) and luck in terms of injuries. It's not going to be bad contracts holding him back like it was with Emery. 

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Wake would be a hell of an add.

Very curious to see if Miami indeed releases him.  That would be a real head scratcher when you consider they traded for Robert Quinn and Wake makes a few million less than Quinn does.  Don't know exactly what they're doing over there in Miami but I like it.

40 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Rumors of Richard Sherman having been traded are on Twitter.  Unsure on destination as of now.

Saw this too.  There are serious doubts he will be ready in time for the 2018 season.  Apparently he now needs clean up surgery done on his left achilles in addition to tearing his right achilles this past season.  That sounds like a grueling rehab.

Archived