The Good, the Bad & the Ugly vs. the Eli-less Giants

RaidersAreOne

Good:

• We won.
  • Khalil Mack is incredible.
  • Pass protection for the most part was great.
  • Our D does look improved under Pagano. Still a lot of things to clean up but better than the KNJ D.
  • Lynch ran hard and broke a few good plays.
  • Patterson is a freak YAC.
  • The Chiefs and Broncos lost.
  • Holton's sideline catch.
  • Sean Smith played a very solid game and kept his man in check most of the time.
  • Not too many penalties on us.

Bad:

• Derek Carr was just meh. A few beautiful lasers, and a lot of bad throws. Pretty big regression from the $125M man.
  • JDR not sitting Richard early.
  • Karl Joseph  in pass coverage.
  • Holton's fumble.
  • King muffing the punt.

Ugly:

• Richard fumbling 3/4 times.
  • Our lack of creativity/chemistry on O.
  • Mark Davis' haircut.

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Good:

• We won.
  • Our D does look improved under Pagano. Still a lot of things to clean up but better than the KNJ D.
  • Sean Smith played a very solid game and kept his man in check most of the time.

Bad:

• Derek Carr was just meh. A few beautiful lasers, and a lot of bad throws. Pretty big regression from the $125M man.
  • Holton's fumble.
  • King muffing the punt.

Ugly:

• Mark Davis' haircut.

No mention of Bruce Irvin? 2 TfL’s in the 1st quarter and a strip sack? What more does he have to do?

I think Carr will be fine a year removed from injury. Looks a little shell shocked out there. Wondering if Cooper will be similar after concussion. Lots of drops all season long needs to be fixed ASAP.

Roberts had a good game, made the catches thrown his way. imo he made that catch at the 1 yard line, and i'm baffled because the replay looked like a clean catch but it was just ruled incomplete with no explanation why the ruling on the field was upheld. 

51 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Good:

• We won.

Bad:

• Holton's fumble.
  • King muffing the punt.

Ugly:

• Mark Davis' haircut.

I actually thought it was smart for King to not punt the ball. They ended up not scoring because he didn't try to force the punt and it would have been a safety or a touchdown.

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Bad:

Pretty good assessment, some minor things I'd add or tweak. But then there's this one, and I vehemently disagree.  I'm not sure what we're expecting here, Tom Brady/Peyton manning/GOAT type play that can make anyone on the team look fantastic? He was using backup WR's and a good TE and went 22/36 for 287 yards and a TD. That's better than Meh. Yea, he had some bad throws, but is it on the Target or the QB? Without being in the film room I tend to chaulk those up to 'who knows', unless the Qb is throwing them all day long.... you have a good indication that they're part of the problem. But Carr really only had a couple of what looked like really bad throws.  Granted, this season he isn't playing at the level last year, and I think it's mostly not on him (my opinion), however for this game I don't think you can classify Carr's performance with the Bad group. 

55 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Bruce irvin and walford pros

kings play was smart. 

sloppy play on offense is killing us.

Live it looked like King muffled the punt but I think the rush was going to get a block so I'm not putting it on King, and it was smart to just eat it.

At least he didn't fumble it, lol.

3 hours ago, NickButera said:

Pretty good assessment, some minor things I'd add or tweak. But then there's this one, and I vehemently disagree.  I'm not sure what we're expecting here, Tom Brady/Peyton manning/GOAT type play that can make anyone on the team look fantastic? He was using backup WR's and a good TE and went 22/36 for 287 yards and a TD. That's better than Meh. Yea, he had some bad throws, but is it on the Target or the QB? Without being in the film room I tend to chaulk those up to 'who knows', unless the Qb is throwing them all day long.... you have a good indication that they're part of the problem. But Carr really only had a couple of what looked like really bad throws.  Granted, this season he isn't playing at the level last year, and I think it's mostly not on him (my opinion), however for this game I don't think you can classify Carr's performance with the Bad group. 

I certainly wouldn't put him in the good category either. We should be expecting a lot more from Carr (not Brady but not what he has been). Maybe everyone has pretty average standards for Derek and are content with his meh play, but I expected him to build on his last season especially after being paid elite money. Sure the stat line from today looks decent on paper, but he realistically should have had 2-3 picks today too that they straight up dropped. There were a few occasions where Carr had ample amounts of time and threw it directly at a DB. Not near him, at his hands/chest in double/triple coverage.

A win is a win, but we let a bad Giants team hang around for most of the game with their second string QB's and 3rd string WRs. The fact we are tied for the division lead is fantastic but I don't have much confidence in this team as a playoff contender.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Broncos and Giants. Two of the more pathetic offenses and Olines in the NFL.

Absolutely true, but we weren't exploiting any advantages beforehand. We were utter garbage against anyone and anything. I fully believe if Norton were still around both Denver and NY would have had success against us. 

What does it all mean? That Norton was beyond awful, Pagano is "qualified" for the job and that's about it. It is the most blah endorsement I can give. He's not exceptional, not excellent, not working any magic. He's just qualified. Norton was utterly unqualified. His (Pagano) small shifts in doing normal things to keep an offense off balance has exposed the reality that our defensive talent overall is limited under any coach. Take into account the success against awful offenses, then assume we won't have that advantage every week. When a good O comes to town we'll likely get rolled like before. Pagano basically just took away the incredible disadvantage Norton was. We're still a pretty average to poor defense due to lack of talent across the unit. And it's no mystery. 8 or 9 of the 11 defenders have not earned a starting position at any point with matching starter level production. They're just all we have. There's nothing, NOTHING, in their play that suggests guys such as Vanderdoes, Edwards, Ellis, James, Morrow, Joseph, Nelson, Amerson, Smith, Carrie, McDonald, Ward, Calhoun, Hester can produce consistent results with consistent playing time. 

I took note of the fact that now we look like we looked many times before in the last decade. Solid most of the time, with drives and plays where massive lapses and letups lead to fast points. 

11 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I certainly wouldn't put him in the good category either. We should be expecting a lot more from Carr (not Brady but not what he has been). Maybe everyone has pretty average standards for Derek and are content with his meh play, but I expected him to build on his last season especially after being paid elite money. Sure the stat line from today looks decent on paper, but he realistically should have had 2-3 picks today too that they straight up dropped. There were a few occasions where Carr had ample amounts of time and threw it directly at a DB. Not near him, at his hands/chest in double/triple coverage.

A win is a win, but we let a bad Giants team hang around for most of the game with their second string QB's and 3rd string WRs. The fact we are tied for the division lead is fantastic but I don't have much confidence in this team as a playoff contender.

The only throw i saw that was right in a DBs hands was the deep pass to Cook. It looked to me that Cook slowed down out of his break which screwed up Carr’s timing. I think Cook’s injury might have played a role because Walford had his biggest game of the season. Carr was off on a few passes sure but even the great Tom Brady has passes that are off and almost picked off. TBH i think that the fact he was playing with second and third string players he looked pretty good. It’s not his fault Holton can’t catch and hold on to the ball. Most of Carr’s passes where right between the numbers which is the most accurate he’s been since his back injury.  He took shots down field so it wasn’t like a bunch of short passes  

Also is is no one going to mention David Sharpe getting demolished when he came in for Penn? Vernon’s a beast for sure but that’s a pretty big drop from Penn to him. 

Archived