Oppenheimer; Christopher Nolan

vike daddy

Next month is set to be quite the explosive one when it comes to blockbusters, and fans of Christopher Nolan are getting especially hyped for his latest film Oppenheimer, which hits theaters on July 21st. However, as Kenneth Branagh's character Niels Bohr remarked in the latest eye-opening trailer, "the world is not prepared." Nolan himself shares that notion, that what will undoubtedly be the crowning achievement of his filmmaking career (so far) may very well be too much for even his biggest fans. In a new interview with WIRED, the director revealed that audiences walked out of preliminary screenings feeling emotionally "devastated", and that the biographic drama may actually be closer to a horror film.

Set as a biographic thriller that is based on the 2005 book American Prometheus by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin, it encapsulates the life of iconic physicist Robert J. Oppenheimer during World War II, specifically what is considered his greatest achievement that singularly altered the course of human history - the creation of the atomic bomb. Peaky Blinders alum Cillian Murphy, who last worked with Nolan on Inception (2010), fills the shoes of Oppenheimer himself, deeming it the defining performance of his career. Alongside him is an absolutely staggering cast, among them Emily Blunt as Katherine Oppeneheimer, Matt Damon as Leslie Groves, Robert Downey Jr. as Lewis Strauss, Florence Pugh as Jean Tatlock, Gary Oldman as Harry S. Truman, and countless more.

https://movieweb.com/christopher-nolan-warns-that-oppenheimer-is-kind-of-a-horror-movie/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=EchoBox-MW&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0fFaMrAs9RUsfPvR08BibqYirtPKqZ-s-R3gfG0xiUD2BkR6YEz13F35A#Echobox=1687369162

Nolan has earned instant purchase status for me. I don’t care about the reviews. I don’t care about the plot. Once his movie is released on physical media, I’ll buy it on principal.

Gary Oldman + Christopher Nolan… Literally impossible to go wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Didn’t care for Dunkirk and have no interest in watching Tenet. This movie I’m looking forward to seeing tho.

Tenet is very polarizing. It requires multiple viewings IMO.

Tenet in IMAX was the most exciting movie experience I've ever had. The movie gets clearer when it's watched at home with subtitles on.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't get why people had trouble following Tenet, I got it on viewing 1 and really enjoyed it. 

Some of the dialogue was muffled when watching in IMAX. I got the overall plot but it was the minutia that needed to be repeated to fully get it.

On 6/21/2023 at 7:52 PM, MacReady said:

Nolan has earned instant purchase status for me. I don’t care about the reviews. I don’t care about the plot. Once his movie is released on physical media, I’ll buy it on principal.

Gary Oldman + Christopher Nolan… Literally impossible to go wrong.

i totally agree. any Nolan or Oldman film is worth seeing, out of principle and respect for their career accomplishments, if nothing else.

Oldman plays Truman in this film, i'd wager he'll only be in a couple of scenes. unfortunately.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i totally agree. any Nolan or Oldman film is worth seeing, out of principle and respect for their career accomplishments, if nothing else.

Oldman plays Truman in this film, i'd wager he'll only be in a couple of scenes. unfortunately.

I am in constant fear for the day Oldman retires, so I’ll cherish every single solitary minute he shows up on screen. In anything. 

• Like 1