Oppenheimer; Christopher Nolan

vike daddy

@vegas492, I have not seen it yet. I have sworn off theaters for the rest of my life. There will be one single solitary exception. Anything short of The Thing I will be perfectly content watching on my 85 inch TV with my 9.1 surround sound system in the comfort of my own home away from snot nosed kids, crinkling wrappers, talkers, coughers, sneezers and any other disruptions.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MacReady said:

@vegas492, I have not seen it yet. I have sworn off theaters for the rest of my life. There will be one single solitary exception. Anything short of The Thing I will be perfectly content watching on my 85 inch TV with my 9.1 surround sound system in the comfort of my own home away from snot nosed kids, crinkling wrappers, talkers, coughers, sneezers and any other disruptions.

I avoid all that by going in the morning. it's usually just me and some boomers lol

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

I get it.

I won't ruin anything for you.  Just that I know you will enjoy one particular scene very, very much.

Saw it yesterday in IMAX, and it was a fantastic movie. I would almost say perfect. 3 hours didn't feel like it. The first hour or so dragged a little bit just setting things up, but once the project starts the next 2 hours fly by, and the last hour felt like 5 minutes.

Just an absolutely tremendous movie from start to finish, and absolutely met the hype.

Nolan is famous for grand storytelling, often encompassing the world, the universe, and all of space-time as his background pieces. However, in Oppenheimer, Nolan goes small, focused on one person. Even when dealing with the possible end of the world, Nolan decided to paint such an intimate portrait of the man who gave humanity the power to destroy itself and how that destroys him.

While Oppenheimer is tough to keep straight during three whole hours of drama, it's super simple once it's over. The story is easy to understand; Oppie wants to build a big bomb to create peace and succeeds but regrets it after realizing a bomb can only create destruction. The characters are even easier to understand, Strauss is quite simply jealous of Oppie and wants to destroy his career and influence, so he accuses him of being communist and appoints a kangaroo court to ruin him all because Oppie offended Strauss's ego.

When Nolan's films usually don't have a simple protagonist or even a clear antagonist, here in Oppenheimer, with all the side characters and time jumping, it's portrayed who's the good guy and who's the bad guy, as Oppie's perspective is displayed in full technicolor, demonstrating that he knows what he's doing, and must suffer the consequences. Strauss's perspective is in black and white, demonstrating that he doesn't have the full picture, which is helpful in figuring out just whose perspective we're looking through. Never before did anyone believe that Nolan could ever make a simple film, but he just did that.

Oppenheimer is very different from Nolan's previous films, and the greatest difference is that it's simply easier to understand than the rest and still a damn good movie – maybe his best.

https://movieweb.com/how-oppenheimer-differs/?utm_source=MW-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=MW-FB-P&fbclid=IwAR1wHWZyrrXQKlXEBmhH0r4DhfMnysom0QWdnlyKUaFRO-c6zkx7WHFh-cU

Great movie, my #1 movie of the year.  The first 2/3 was great.  It had a good flow, I was invested in everything.  The last hour I did start to feel the run time.  It did feel like it dragged a little.  It's worth seeing on the big screen(all of Nolans films are)

I saw it yesterday (not in IMAX, because I didn't think it needed it), and it was fantastic...probably the best movie I've seen in years.  It is the first movie in quite some time that actually lived up to the hype surrounding it.  It was 3 hours, but certainly didn't feel like it...like Avatar did (which also was a good movie, but dragged on way too much). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

Great movie, my #1 movie of the year.  The first 2/3 was great.  It had a good flow, I was invested in everything.  The last hour I did start to feel the run time.  It did feel like it dragged a little.  It's worth seeing on the big screen(all of Nolans films are)

I felt the opposite.

The middle dragged for me when compared to the beginning an the end.

The plot coming together at the end was the best part for me.  

And again, I need to add that I feel really let down by my education as I knew just so very little about how the bomb came about, when it was employed in the War and how that started/impacted the Cold War.