Rams sign CB Ahkello Witherspoon

TheKillerNacho

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/story/2023-06-29/rams-adding-veteran-defensive-back-ahkello-witherspoon-where-does-he-fit

Unable to participate in the original surge of free agency due to cap limitations, the Rams finally make another addition to round out their depleted roster. Witherspoon adds much-needed veteran experience to the Rams secondary, as a player with 40 career starts. Coming off a hamstring injury cutting his 2022 season with the Steelers short, Witherspoon hopes to revitalize his career in Los Angeles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 43M said:

He was okay for a few games in 2021.

So that's....something.  :/

Before this signing their top CBs were three dudes named Cobie Durant, Derion Kendrick, and Robert Rochell (and starting someone named Russ Yeast at safety). If he can muster anything close to "okay", he should easily be a Day 1 starter somewhere in their secondary lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Before this signing their top CBs were three dudes named Cobie Durant, Derion Kendrick, and Robert Rochell (and starting someone named Russ Yeast at safety). If he can muster anything close to "okay", he should easily be a Day 1 starter somewhere in their secondary lol

That's Decobie Durant (yes, I realize he goes by the shortened version on the roster).  Put some respect on his name.

On 6/30/2023 at 4:44 PM, Ray Reed said:

I feel like the Rams are gonna stink man 

If you say so. We won 5 games last season, and we lost pretty much everyone to injury, and that’s not counting the historical amount of injuries to the offensive line. 

Now that everyone is healthy again, including the core players, I don’t see us stinking up the place like last season. 

On 6/30/2023 at 11:39 AM, TheKillerNacho said:

Cobie Durant is a baller. And we drafted Tre Hodges-Tomlinson. Wouldn't be surprised if he wins the starting slot job. The other CB spot is a huge question mark. Kendrick has great ball skills, physicality (in coverage), and instincts, but he's a gambler, was unreliable too often as a rookie, and lacks top-end speed. Rochell is supremely physically talented, but he has struggled to stay healthy and hasn't developed to this point like we hoped he would.

I get not knowing every single player in the league....but man there sure are a lot of comments like "three dudes named...." for a site  that prides itself on general football knowledge and following the draft. Kendrick was literally a starting CB on a national championship winning team for Georgia. Durant played really well last season.

I like taking shots on CBs this way....Ramsey got lit up quite a bit last year. CB to me is the most random position in the NFL....I'll never forget the Browns starting an entire secondary off the street due to injuries against us in 2019 and picking us off three times

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

I get not knowing every single player in the league....but man there sure are a lot of comments like "three dudes named...." for a site  that prides itself on general football knowledge and following the draft. Kendrick was literally a starting CB on a national championship winning team for Georgia. Durant played really well last season.

ironically Rochell was the only one i heard of prior to perusing the Rams post-draft  depth chart.

sorry I didn't know the accolades of your (previously) backup CBs lol. I don't pay much attention to college myself, nor to 5-win NFL teams generally.

20 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

ironically Rochell was the only one i heard of prior to perusing the Rams post-draft  depth chart.

sorry I didn't know the accolades of your (previously) backup CBs lol. I don't pay much attention to college myself, nor to 5-win NFL teams generally.

Interesting shade considering both those guys were drafted by the defending Super Bowl champs. Not exactly your run of the mill 5 win team. Sounds like you just don't pay attention to the Rams at all, which is obviously fine. But I doubt the five win part has much to do with it

Before this signing their top CBs were three dudes named Cobie Durant, Derion Kendrick, and Robert Rochell (and starting someone named Russ Yeast at safety).

Yeah, but I've heard Yeast is on the rise.

• Like 6