Chiefs DT Chris Jones not reporting to camp due to seeking new deal

RaidersAreOne

53 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I feel like waiting for the market changing upcoming Bosa deal would be the better approach right?

Not sure how much Bosa impacts him. Previously they have been slightly different markets between edge and interior rushers. Jones played on the edge some, but he's still mainly an interior pass rusher. 

Not counting Donald, who is simply a massive outlier as a historical freak, the top 5 dt contracts were all signed this year for between 21-24 million. The edge market hasn't been set in 3 years and the top three guys all make more than the DT top 5. Mack signed his deal like 6 years ago and he'd still be right towards the top of the non Aaron Donald dt AAV. 

If I had to guess, Jones probably gets something like 25 million a year while Bosa breaks 30. I'd wager 31-32

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Not sure how much Bosa impacts him. Previously they have been slightly different markets between edge and interior rushers. Jones played on the edge some, but he's still mainly an interior pass rusher. 

Not counting Donald, who is simply a massive outlier as a historical freak, the top 5 dt contracts were all signed this year for between 21-24 million. The edge market hasn't been set in 3 years and the top three guys all make more than the DT top 5. Mack signed his deal like 6 years ago and he'd still be right towards the top of the non Aaron Donald dt AAV. 

If I had to guess, Jones probably gets something like 25 million a year while Bosa breaks 30. I'd wager 31-32

Mack and Donald set the market the same year and used each others deals as the benchmark for the other regardless of DT or DE.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Mack and Donald set the market the same year and used each others deals as the benchmark for the other regardless of DT or DE.

That won't be the case with Jones, He will shoot for highest paid DT (under Donald) probably $25M (100M) most likely get it but will be nowhere close to #1 Pass Rusher type money.

If said number will eventually become $30M

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

Well, Donald signed first, I think? Not sure how he used macks deal as a benchmark unless I'm remembering the wrong. Mack used Donald's deal as what he needed to clear to be the biggest paid defender

But in recent years, he's just a massive outlier, as mentioned. There was a time when I think that these two positions were more closely aligned (a guy like suh was the highest paid defender in football, Fletcher Cox had a big contract, etc), but in recent years, DTs not named Donald have seen a more modest increase in positional earnings, including 5 new contacts this offseason taking the top 5 non Donald pays at the position (honestly, I don't think it's out of line to suggest that Donald's big contract in 18 stunted the pay growth of the position, tbh). Meanwhile edge rushers have gotten huge jumps from their last three big contracts and seen the position pay explode, and Bosa will reset that again this year most likely. 

As good as Jones is, I don't think he's "highest paid defensive player in the league when he's not playing the highest paid position" level good like Donald is. I could be wrong, and if I am, kudos to Jones for getting the bag. But I expect something like 4 / 100-104 for Jones. Bosa will use the watt contract to benchmark and while I think term could be tricky (Bosa may want short term), I expect something like 5 / 153-155

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trojan said:

Basically every DT contract has ignored Donald's, though. It's kind of just accepted that he's a different thing entirely.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That explains why they are reported to be "far apart". 

go get that bag, young man. If he holds firm, I don't think he'll get 30, but maybe he gets 28? That would be a huge win too 

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I hope he holds out all season, as a Ravens fan. Get your money, Mr. Jones!

He is the hero that DTs need in order to right the wrongs of the nfls positional pay discrimination.

I say he should hold out for two years if need be

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

He is the hero that DTs need in order to right the wrongs of the nfls positional pay discrimination.

I say he should hold out for two years if need be

Why stop there? He could be the guy who breaks barriers and advocates for guys to be paid at a position not even on the same side of the ball as he is.

So I think until a RB gets paid $100M, he should sit out in solidarity with his brothers on the other side of the LoS.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why stop there? He could be the guy who breaks barriers and advocates for guys to be paid at a position not even on the same side of the ball as he is.

So I think until a RB gets paid $100M, he should sit out in solidarity with his brothers on the other side of the LoS.

You guys remember Dontari Poe?

• Like 1