Vrabel is the only Belichick affiliate with success, why is that?

General Tso

Gonna leave out Kevin O'Connell and Brian Daboll since they've only coached 1 year.

One of the greatest coaches of all time does not have a great coaching tree he can be proud of. What is it about being a Belichick assistant coach? As a player, it's not like Vrabel was any less exposed to The Patriot Way, including preparation, how to handle the media, how to handle players, etc. Is it a former player vs coach thing? Is Vrabel just an outlier? What do you think?

Vrabel’s an outlier and a former player. He’s not really a Belichick-tree coach. 

Most of the other coaches were cogs in a machine, they “did their job”. Doesn’t mean they were cut out to be good head coaches. Most coaches nowadays are player’s coaches, and most Belichick-tree guys try to emulate what Bill does in NE, at least partly. Hard thing to copy. 

• Like 4

Probably because Belichick's hard nosed approach to players is only accepted because he's the GOAT. These other coaches that branch off are nobodies and they're cracking the proverbial whip at guys who are more established than they are. Players might be willing to let Belichick run his ship as tightly as he's done because he is literally the best HC of all-time. When Eric Mangini or some other coach tries that approach, players get pissed off.

I also have a suspicison that Belichick's system is essentially all him. He's always had a good defense that is by all accounts, his brainchild. The offenses have been vanilla from a scheme perspective & prioritize taking care of the football. So the defensive guys aren't really the orchestrators of the defense & the offensive guys are running vanilla schemes without great defenses and/or great signal callers.

The main issue is that players don't like to play for coaches like Bill anymore. These guys are all a bunch of pampered #@%!%$#@. They don't want to be yelled at and treated like babies, even if it's for their own good. They can run guys like that out of town and get a player's coach to pander to them. Bill is grandfathered in because of his success & the fact that guys chasing rings are dumb to not have jumped on the Brady/Billy B bandwagon.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I still think it's too soon to say Brian Flores was a failure.

I think it's too soon to call Vrabel a success. What has he won, exactly? He made the AFC championship once and lost in the playoffs a couple of times? Congratulations, you're mediocre.

• Like 2

One reason is that all of his affiliates try to take the 'Patriot way' style of coaching to new teams and it fails miserably--primarily in terms of roster construction and player management. Basically treating it as the system is above any player and each piece is replaceable. i.e. trying to be the smartest guy in the room syndrome. 

Its the system and you take interchangable/replaceable pieces in and out of the system. The problem is none of them have BB's eye or coaching ability to make it work like it does in NE.

Edited by AkronsWitness

8 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I think it's too soon to call Vrabel a success. What has he won, exactly? He made the AFC championship once and lost in the playoffs a couple of times? Congratulations, you're mediocre.

I mean, I don’t think anyone is saying he’s top ten all time, but to have a bar where anything less than multiple AFC championship appearances is what if takes to be a success seems a little ridiculous.

Is Sean McDermott not considered a success either?

4 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

alabama-crimson-tide-nick-saban.gif

imagine disrespecting the GOAT smh. 

Who ran back to college after failing in the NFL once he realized his Patriot Way cant be replicated outside of NE, but it would work on impressionable 19 y/o's as long as he paid top recruits under the table to join their program and had #1 recruiting classes every year 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Who ran back to college after failing in the NFL once he realized his Patriot Way cant be replicated outside of NE, but it would work on impressionable 19 y/o's as long as he paid top recruits under the table to join their program and had #1 recruiting classes every year 

In an alternate timeline, Randy Mueller listened to Nick Saban and signed Drew Brees instead of Dante Culpepper. One of the NFL’s great What If? scenarios.  

41 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, I don’t think anyone is saying he’s top ten all time, but to have a bar where anything less than multiple AFC championship appearances is what if takes to be a success seems a little ridiculous.

Is Sean McDermott not considered a success either?

Not yet he's not, no. I'd put him above Vrabel though.