Vrabel is the only Belichick affiliate with success, why is that?

General Tso

vrabel is just his own guy, honestly. it seems like some of the guys who coached under belichick tried to do the whole hardass patriot way thing and crashed and burned- most infamously matt patricia but it seemed like mcdaniel in denver was a similar case. that's never been vrabel, for whatever reason. 

to be honest though, right now it's not as though he's seen *that* much more success than a guy like bill o'brien (another belichick disciple whose coaching tree vrabel actually does come from). he's had one deeper playoff run and hasn't managed to piss off basically the entire locker room so i'd say he *probably* has a better shot at sustained success, but who knows. none of that stuff has much to do with his relationship with belichick.

3 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I think it's too soon to call Vrabel a success. What has he won, exactly? He made the AFC championship once and lost in the playoffs a couple of times? Congratulations, you're mediocre.

Realistically - Bill O’Brien (the Head Coach, not the General Manager) has a slightly better resume. 

7 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I think it's too soon to call Vrabel a success. What has he won, exactly? He made the AFC championship once and lost in the playoffs a couple of times? Congratulations, you're mediocre.

Hard to win when you don’t have that guy at QB, Belicheck can tell you all about that 

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Vrabel is a former player and successful position coach/coordinator in college too. He’s more of a product of the Jim Tressell coaching tree than BB ironically. Just look at the defensive scheme they run.

And yet I get criticism for suggesting Tressel get another head coaching position.

8 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Average head coach only lasts 3 seasons in role. If you don't get fired within the terms of your first contract, you are, statistically, an above average head coach. The only way he's mediocre is if you're only comparing him against other successful coaches. But that's basically just survivorship bias.

I don’t think Patriot staff members get the full experience. Bill has everyone so hyper focused on their own role that I don’t think they develop the skills to be successful. The other factor I’d bet on is they have almost zero connections for putting together a staff. They get second choice to Bill at best and often have to just throw money hoping to strike gold with a hire that will gel. 

Having sustained success in the NFL is hard. Guys like Eric Mangini might have had more success had they been more selective with which jobs they accepted. 

5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Well deserved criticism.

No, unwarranted criticism. Well-deserved criticism is criticizing the Packers for sticking with Rodgers for one more year after his 4th playoff loss to the 49ers.

13 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Vrabel isn't part of the Belichick coaching tree. You have to actually of been "part of his coaching  staff" for that to apply.

Former players don't count. 

He’s in the Crennel tree who worked under Belicheck. 

it’s like Andy Reid being apart of the Bill Walsh tree even though he only worked for Holmgrwn