Top 10 DL/Edge Units in the NFL

Ozzy

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

@EagleBlueDon  I see Myles Jack retired from professional football.  So was he hurt or did he get hurt?  Based on his interviews it seemed like he was totally game for playing and I feel he would have made the Eagles roster and helped them.  I have to respect the dude, said he would go back to trade school because he likes working with his hands if he ends his football career and that he said when he signed with the Eagles a few weeks back.  Almost no 7 year NFL vet and Millionaire would say that, he is going to go to trade school.  That impressed me a lot.  

Dude apparently has earned around $50 million over his career in the NFL.  They could have used him but with Bradley out other guys will get a shot like Christian Ellis who is a lock to make the team and Ben VanSumeren will make the roster also I have been impressed with him.  Zach Cunningham should make the roster also because of it but they are thin for sure at the position.  Say Reddick is out that would greatly hurt that front since he is their best pass rusher arguably on the edge.  

He wasn't hurt at all. Just wasn't good enough in his short time here and he probably either didn't want to be a backup or thought he wasn't going to make the team so he got out early. And yeah he's a cool dude so I'm sure he'll do well and stay busy in whatever he chooses. The spot opposite Dean will come down to Cunningham and Elliss. Both have been solid and are definitely the ones who have stood out the most.

On 8/20/2023 at 3:52 PM, scar988 said:

Instead of getting a double and a chip, he’ll just go through doubles. Instead of a double here and there, he’ll get more single teams. I think you’ll be surprised if you went back and watched last year how often they even had to triple Jarrett. 

Above average, about the same as BJ Hill. Less than Quinton Jefferson, Taven Bryan, DaQuan Jones, etc. 

BJ Hill got doubled a ton despite other threats on his DL. Deatrich Wise got doubled despite having Judon and Uche on his DL. DaRon Payne got doubled above the average threshold and Jonathan Allen got doubled second only to Chris Jones, so it’s not like teams can’t double two tackles. It happens a lot. 

13 hours ago, Soko said:

Above average, about the same as BJ Hill. Less than Quinton Jefferson, Taven Bryan, DaQuan Jones, etc. 

BJ Hill got doubled a ton despite other threats on his DL. Deatrich Wise got doubled despite having Judon and Uche on his DL. DaRon Payne got doubled above the average threshold and Jonathan Allen got doubled second only to Chris Jones, so it’s not like teams can’t double two tackles. It happens a lot. 

And that's where upgrading the floor for the edges with Dupree and Carter in the rotation and those doubles help guys like Ebiketie and Malone with their development. Nielsen seems to have this belief that if you have waves of pass rushers, it's easier to actually create a pass rush because someone is getting through. 

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Lol so what?! I liked Oliver coming out too, but he couldn't hold Payne or Allen's jock strap.

Payne and Allen are probably the best DT Duo in the league. If Chase Young is healthy, that Washington DL is just nasty. Montez Sweat is no slouch, best DT Duo in the NFL, and then a guy who has probably the most pass rush ability to come out of the draft in a decade and just needs to stay healthy.

8 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Lol so what?! I liked Oliver coming out too, but he couldn't hold Payne or Allen's jock strap.

So what?  To totally disregard him as a talented player is so what, or to ignore that Payne and Allen came from arguably the best college football coach in America with a standout program, a head coach that is also one of the best defensive football coaches in America not even considering the current elite pro player track record, Ed Oliver came from Houston....

Ed takes his game to another level that unit will go to another level as well.  I am not saying Ed Oliver is better than Daron Payne or Jonathan Allen, he is absolutely not, but I am not going to pretend Ed Oliver still has plenty of room to improve as a player.  

On 8/22/2023 at 9:09 AM, scar988 said:

And that's where upgrading the floor for the edges with Dupree and Carter in the rotation and those doubles help guys like Ebiketie and Malone with their development. Nielsen seems to have this belief that if you have waves of pass rushers, it's easier to actually create a pass rush because someone is getting through. 

Having NFL talent vs JAGs will certainly help.

It just won’t help Jarrett. 

2 hours ago, Soko said:

Having NFL talent vs JAGs will certainly help.

It just won’t help Jarrett. 

JAG is a term thrown around way too often, because just being on an NFL active roster is an insane accomplishment.  

"In the US, there are just over a million players at the high school level. Of those, 73,712 make it to the NCAA level, representing just 7.3% of the talent pool.

At any one time, just over 16,000 are draft eligible, which is only 1.6% of that college player pool. And then only 259 players will be drafted. That is a minuscule 0.016% of the draft-eligible NCAA pool. It is awe-inspiring when you think of it."

"Having already been in the select 0.01% of the top 1.6% of the top 7.3% of the nation, the chosen players might be dismayed to learn that only 30% of those drafted will ever make it onto an NFL roster."

https://en.as.com/nfl/what-percentage-of-drafted-players-make-an-nfl-roster-n/

So the term JAG for any NFL player, is well an insult to the player, pretending as if making it to the NFL is so simple to accomplish.  

41 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

JAG is a term thrown around way too often, because just being on an NFL active roster is an insane accomplishment.  

So the term JAG for any NFL player, is well an insult to the player, pretending as if making it to the NFL is so simple to accomplish.  

Are we really doing the “there are no bad football players in the NFL” thing right now? Really?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scar988 said:

It will definitely help Jarrett. Especially if you actually watched Atlanta film from last year. 

Why would decent but unspectacular players draw attention away from an actual threat on the DL?

And even then, it’s not hard to double multiple players. DaQuan Jones got doubled more than Jeffery Simmons did (probably from running away from Simmons, tbh). Payne and Allen both got doubled a lot. Wise got doubled a decent amount despite having real pass rush threats around him. 

Jarrett’s the only real threat on that DL unless one of the youngsters makes a jump. If that happens, then maybe. If not? He’s going to get doubled a lot again. Teams will let David Onyemata game wreck them before they let Jarrett do it.

55 minutes ago, Soko said:

Are we really doing the “there are no bad football players in the NFL” thing right now? Really?

I never said there are no bad players in the NFL, there are different levels of NFL players obviously.

But this "JAG" term I never use it, "Just a guy" commentary....  no player on a NFL rosters is just a guy, you are 'just a guy', not them!

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I never said there are no bad players in the NFL, there are different levels of NFL players obviously.

But this "JAG" term I never use it, "Just a guy" commentary....  no player on a NFL rosters is just a guy, you are 'just a guy', not them!

It’s all one in the same. Nobody in the National Football League is actually bad at a football - they’re just bad relative to the NFL. 

I figured we could rub a couple brain cells together and understand that “just a guy”, in this context, means “just a guy….relative to the rest of the NFL”.

Would you prefer we use JAGRTTROTNFL as an acronym instead? Shame on me for assuming common sense.

Edited by Soko

11 hours ago, Soko said:

Why would decent but unspectacular players draw attention away from an actual threat on the DL?

And even then, it’s not hard to double multiple players. DaQuan Jones got doubled more than Jeffery Simmons did (probably from running away from Simmons, tbh). Payne and Allen both got doubled a lot. Wise got doubled a decent amount despite having real pass rush threats around him. 

Jarrett’s the only real threat on that DL unless one of the youngsters makes a jump. If that happens, then maybe. If not? He’s going to get doubled a lot again. Teams will let David Onyemata game wreck them before they let Jarrett do it.

Because those players as they start to make impacts will draw protections. It's how it works. If a dude is having a game, he should start drawing more of the attention. If Onyemata has gone off for 2 sacks in a game, he'll start seeing doubles and Jarrett will start seeing less doubles. If Ebiketie is having a game, same thing. It's just how the NFL works. You don't want to give up 7 sacks in a game to a guy if you can help it.

47 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Because those players as they start to make impacts will draw protections. It's how it works. If a dude is having a game, he should start drawing more of the attention. If Onyemata has gone off for 2 sacks in a game, he'll start seeing doubles and Jarrett will start seeing less doubles. If Ebiketie is having a game, same thing. It's just how the NFL works. You don't want to give up 7 sacks in a game to a guy if you can help it.

The next 2-sack performance Onyemata has will be the third of his entire career and second in the past 5 years, lol. And that’s with future HOFer Cam Jordan on the line. 

That’s the whole point - the guys the Falcons brought in don’t typically “have games”. If they did, then they’d be helping Jarrett - they just typically…don’t. 

Edited by Soko
  • Like 2