Top 10 DL/Edge Units in the NFL

Ozzy

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Depth matters and their depth is pretty damn questionable outside of Rashad Weaver who is arguably their only quality proven backup.  That is an issue when almost every team rotates players constantly to keep them fresh and active.

The depth is more than questionable and to me that is why I did not include them in the top 10.  Now if no one ever gets hurt great but that will not happen and someone will get hurt and be out and thus impacts the unit greatly.  Zero chance all 3 starting DL and the 2 starting OLB play the entire season.

Maybe Shevlin or Rush can do some magic or Okuayinonu, because someone as a backup has to step up for them to be an elite unit.

I mean, if you think backup quality is more important than starter quality, sure.  But the Titans are probably top 2 or 3 on the interior if we're just looking at starters, and I don't see how that's not enough to make them top 10.  And I'm clearly not the only one.

The Titans also have one of the league's better defensive staffs, and one of the best DL coaches, with a history of making nobodies into quality contributors, and dealt with a ton of injuries already and still had a fantastic front seven last year.

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, if you think backup quality is more important than starter quality, sure.  But the Titans are probably top 2 or 3 on the interior if we're just looking at starters, and I don't see how that's not enough to make them top 10.  And I'm clearly not the only one.

The Titans also have one of the league's better defensive staffs, and one of the best DL coaches, with a history of making nobodies into quality contributors, and dealt with a ton of injuries already and still had a fantastic front seven last year.

Last year they had DeMarcus Walker who got 7 sacks for them and had a career year on the DL, he is no longer there.  Bud Dupree is Bud Dupree, hurt of course most the year but he is no longer there.  Mario Edwards also have a very solid year for them on the DL, he is no longer there.  Last year they had David Long who provided much needed athletic ability to the unit and versatility, he is no longer there.  They got a lot of tackles out of Dylan Cole he is no longer there but those are ILBs.  PS Jack Giddens is a dude and that was a great pickup by them, was a very solid instinctive linebacker coming out of college and no shocker he caught on and is now the starter most likely. 

Will some guys emerge?  Maybe but on paper no a huge fan of the prospects they got sitting in the wings, where last year they had some very talented players just sitting in the wings.  

OLB Bud Dupree/ Denico Autry 
DE Jeffery Simmons/ Mario Edwards
NT Teair/Tart/ Naquan Jones
DE Denico Autry/ DeMarcus Walker
OLB Harold Landry/ Rashard Weaver

Yeah this group from last year and I am sure maybe I am missing some guys, but yeah that is a far better group and that is because of Edwards and Walker as backups that filled right in and did great and that allowed Autry to move as more of a OLB role and he did great in it correct.  Those were both proven players and pretty damn good prospects coming into the league with solid talent in Walker and Edwards both of which were borderline 1st rounders coming out.  Not sure they have those similar guys sitting in the wings currently.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Last year they had DeMarcus Walker who got 7 sacks for them and had a career year on the DL, he is no longer there.  Bud Dupree is Bud Dupree, hurt of course most the year but he is no longer there.  Mario Edwards also have a very solid year for them on the DL, he is no longer there.  Last year they had David Long who provided much needed athletic ability to the unit and versatility, he is no longer there.  They got a lot of tackles out of Dylan Cole he is no longer there but those are ILBs.  PS Jack Giddens is a dude and that was a great pickup by them, was a very solid instinctive linebacker coming out of college and no shocker he caught on and is now the starter most likely. 

Will some guys emerge?  Maybe but on paper no a huge fan of the prospects they got sitting in the wings, where last year they had some very talented players just sitting in the wings.  

OLB Bud Dupree/ Denico Autry 
DE Jeffery Simmons/ Mario Edwards
NT Teair/Tart/ Naquan Jones
DE Denico Autry/ DeMarcus Walker
OLB Harold Landry/ Rashard Weaver

Yeah this group from last year and I am sure maybe I am missing some guys, but yeah that is a far better group and that is because of Edwards and Walker as backups that filled right in and did great and that allowed Autry to move as more of a OLB role and he did great in it correct.  Those were both proven players and pretty damn good prospects coming into the league with solid talent in Walker and Edwards both of which were borderline 1st rounders coming out.  Not sure they have those similar guys sitting in the wings currently.

Don't forget they added Arden Key, who was nicely productive last year for the Jaguars.

26 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Don't forget they added Arden Key, who was nicely productive last year for the Jaguars.

I did not forget they added Arden Key, he will help but Weaver will be right behind him and taking some of his snaps as well and I would not be shocked if Weaver is the starter eventually.  Honestly Arden Key has been a disappointment considering what he flashed early on at LSU, has at least hung around the league that is good and yes he will help the Titan but not sure he is going to get 10 sacks or something either.  Is he worth $7 mil a year, not sure, Leonard Floyd gets $7 mil a year roughly and I would say he is much better than Key, Frank Clark only gets $5 mil a year but has off the field stuff and is getting old, Justin Houston got $6 mil a year and is a far more proven player but older sure.  

PS John Franklin-Myers gets $13 mil a year on the Jets, no so sure he is worth that and Randy Gregory gets $13 mil roughly on the Broncos, not sure he is worth that either so contracts and odd sometimes.  

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I did not forget they added Arden Key, he will help but Weaver will be right behind him and taking some of his snaps as well and I would not be shocked if Weaver is the starter eventually.  Honestly Arden Key has been a disappointment considering what he flashed early on at LSU, has at least hung around the league that is good and yes he will help the Titan but not sure he is going to get 10 sacks or something either.  Is he worth $7 mil a year, not sure, Leonard Floyd gets $7 mil a year roughly and I would say he is much better than Key, Frank Clark only gets $5 mil a year but has off the field stuff and is getting old, Justin Houston got $6 mil a year and is a far more proven player but older sure.  

PS John Franklin-Myers gets $13 mil a year on the Jets, no so sure he is worth that and Randy Gregory gets $13 mil roughly on the Broncos, not sure he is worth that either so contracts and odd sometimes.  

arden key just had the two best seasons of his career and is pretty clearly a player who is trending upward. a guy like leonard floyd is a better pure rusher around the edge but he'd be a terrible fit in tennessee's front because that's not what we ask these guys to do. it seems like you're just looking at names on a depth chart rather than where players fit and how tennessee's system works. saying guys like walker and edwards 'allowed' autry to play OLB is bizarre- autry was playing out of position there because of the injuries to dupree and landry. we move our guys around a lot, but it's a very safe bet that we'll see autry inside a lot more than we did last year with key and landry back in the fold. it's also weird to hype up mario edwards to that degree- we signed him midseason off of a practice squad. the guy was a replacement-level player who we got nice rotational production out of, because that's what we do on the defensive line and that's how it's been for years.

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

arden key just had the two best seasons of his career and is pretty clearly a player who is trending upward. a guy like leonard floyd is a better pure rusher around the edge but he'd be a terrible fit in tennessee's front because that's not what we ask these guys to do. it seems like you're just looking at names on a depth chart rather than where players fit and how tennessee's system works. saying guys like walker and edwards 'allowed' autry to play OLB is bizarre- autry was playing out of position there because of the injuries to dupree and landry. we move our guys around a lot, but it's a very safe bet that we'll see autry inside a lot more than we did last year with key and landry back in the fold. it's also weird to hype up mario edwards to that degree- we signed him midseason off of a practice squad. the guy was a replacement-level player who we got nice rotational production out of, because that's what we do on the defensive line and that's how it's been for years.

So Arden Key is a great run defender or something?  What exactly can he do that Leonard Floyd cannot?  If anything Floyd can do more things Key cannot.  Oh and not to mention Floyd is far more nimble and athletic if asked to drop into coverage than Key is.  And by the way Floyd is a much better value financially, there is a reason why he has 29 sacks in three years and started every game he has played in during his career and Key has 11 sacks in 3 years and only 3 starts in those three years, and 3 starts in his 5 year career.  So it will be the first time in his career he is a full time starter so we will see if that even happens, again my guess is Weaver becomes the starter potentially.

As for Autry, well yeah I found it 'bizarre' he played at OLB but he had to based of injury, duh.  And yes Walker and Edwards allowed that to happen because they filled that 3/4 DE spot instead of Autry.  How is that hard to understand?  Without them they could not have moved Autry outside because who would have played that DE spot?

Maybe that Okuayinonu will become a baller and help that depth greatly because it is an issue and if you cannot see that, well just wait till the season starts and see what happens when starters get hurt and go out.  Maybe Peevy can be something or Shelvin.  Jaleel Johnson I would not have much faith in and Naquan Jones is just ok but is probably their most proven and productive backup 3/4 DL.  

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So Arden Key is a great run defender or something?  What exactly can he do that Leonard Floyd cannot?  If anything Floyd can do more things Key cannot.  Oh and not to mention Floyd is far more nimble and athletic if asked to drop into coverage than Key is.  And by the way Floyd is a much better value financially, there is a reason why he has 29 sacks in three years and started every game he has played in during his career and Key has 11 sacks in 3 years and only 3 starts in those three years, and 3 starts in his 5 year career.  So it will be the first time in his career he is a full time starter so we will see if that even happens, again my guess is Weaver becomes the starter potentially.

As for Autry, well yeah I found it 'bizarre' he played at OLB but he had to based of injury, duh.  And yes Walker and Edwards allowed that to happen because they filled that 3/4 DE spot instead of Autry.  How is that hard to understand?  Without them they could not have moved Autry outside because who would have played that DE spot?

this is a very funny way for you to confirm that you do not, in fact, understand the defense that tennessee runs lol. i think i’m done here

9 hours ago, -Hope- said:

this is a very funny way for you to confirm that you do not, in fact, understand the defense that tennessee runs lol. i think i’m done here

Say whatever you want wish, at least I give examples and provide reasons.  You just talk and say nothing really at all.  I give specific answers as to why I rank them the way I did.  I say what exactly does Key do better than Floyd and this is your reply?  I ask for reasons as to who are these great players in the depth chart for Tennessee and you provide nothing because either you do not follow prospects coming into the league or you do not know any reasons as to why the backups will become fine players at there specific positions.  At least I am showing and putting stuff out there and providing reasons and examples, all you basically say is you are an idiot and provide nothing else.  Congrats.  

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Say whatever you want wish, at least I give examples and provide reasons.  You just talk and say nothing really at all.  I give specific answers as to why I rank them the way I did.  I say what exactly does Key do better than Floyd and this is your reply?  I ask for reasons as to who are these great players in the depth chart for Tennessee and you provide nothing because either you do not follow prospects coming into the league or you do not know any reasons as to why the backups will become fine players at there specific positions.  At least I am showing and putting stuff out there and providing reasons and examples, all you basically say is you are an idiot and provide nothing else.  Congrats.  

lol, you give specific answers and reasons that indicate that you don’t even watch the team you’re trying to rank. that’s why it’s not worth it, but i’ll leave you with a hint: you spent an entire paragraph talking about denico autry filling a position that for all intents and purposes does not exist in our scheme. good luck with your lists!

7 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

lol, you give specific answers and reasons that indicate that you don’t even watch the team you’re trying to rank. that’s why it’s not worth it, but i’ll leave you with a hint: you spent an entire paragraph talking about denico autry filling a position that for all intents and purposes does not exist in our scheme. good luck with your lists!

No I am not a defensive expert on the Tennessee Titans exact scheme.  But at least I follow players and know the roster and have general baseline knowledge about a lot of prospects in the league and coming into the league.  You can maybe talk schematics maybe because you listened to a guy that knew something on a TV show or something.  But the fact you provide no information or rational makes me believe you might be all talk.  So I guess sit there and talk as if you know everything but provide nothing.  

Let me guess, the play multiple fronts like every team in the NFL?  Yeah, of course they do.  That is really the point of a 3/4 defense, you do not know or should not know where the rush is coming from or who is dropping in coverage.  

Fact is they will greatly miss the depth that Walker and Edwards provided last year and that is not even including Bud Dupree or David Long.

Dark horse to join this group is Atlanta. If AK47 and DeAngelo Malone develop into competent edge rushers, this rotation would be very good:

EDGE - Arnold Ebiketie / Lorenzo Carter

DE - Calais Campbell / Zach Harrison

NT - David Onyemata / Ta'Quon Graham

UT - Grady Jarrett / Ta'Quon Graham / Zach Harrison

EDGE - DeAngelo Malone / Bud Dupree

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

Dark horse to join this group is Atlanta. If AK47 and DeAngelo Malone develop into competent edge rushers, this rotation would be very good:

EDGE - Arnold Ebiketie / Lorenzo Carter

DE - Calais Campbell / Zach Harrison

NT - David Onyemata / Ta'Quon Graham

UT - Grady Jarrett / Ta'Quon Graham / Zach Harrison

EDGE - DeAngelo Malone / Bud Dupree

Possibly but Ebiketie and Malone will have to both greatly improve.  They are solid but not sure they have a super high ceiling as players or 3/4 OLBs.  Dupree if he can stay healthy will help a ton and make them far more legit on the edge.  Zach Harrison could do great in that defense and Calais Campbell is a huge pickup for his leadership and ability.  Onyemata is really solid as well along with Jarrett, their DL are very promising just need some edge guys to standout.  Kaden Elliss had what 7 sacks for the Saints last year so they might use him in rush situations or at least bring him up the middle so that will help the rush overall.  

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

The Eagles had 30 more sacks than Buffalo last year. 

So the Eagles will just break a record again that was standing for over 30 years almost and do it instantly the next year?  Maybe but I seriously doubt it, before the Eagles 2022 sack performance, the latest/highest rated team in terms of sacks were the 2000 Saints with 66 which was 22 years ago.  I just do not think it is very likely at all that they have 4 guys with double digit sacks again this up coming season.  And really outside of Carter and maybe Nolan Smith they do not have a ton of guys who are still peaking as football players, I guess one could include Janarius Robinson possibly.... where the Bills arguably have four if not five guys who have not reached their potential yet.  

1984 Bears 72
1989 Vikings 71
2022 Eagles 70
1987 Bears 70
1985 Giants 68

How much you want to bet Jalen Carter does not get 11 sacks like Hargrave did?  And to think teams are not going to be totally prepared for them and offensive line units hyped up to go against them and do well, they will get the best arguably out of everyone they play.  Just to me the likelihood of them getting that many sacks again is not very likely but we will see.  

27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So the Eagles will just break a record again that was standing for over 30 years almost and do it instantly the next year?  Maybe but I seriously doubt it, before the Eagles 2022 sack performance, the latest/highest rated team in terms of sacks were the 2000 Saints with 66 which was 22 years ago.  I just do not think it is very likely at all that they have 4 guys with double digit sacks again this up coming season.

I was just pointing out how silly it is to rank the Bills Dline over the Eagles when the Eagles had 30 more sacks last year. The Bills were tied for 14th in the NFL with 40 last year, very pedestrian. 

27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

And really outside of Carter and maybe Nolan Smith they do not have a ton of guys who are still peaking as football players, I guess one could include Janarius Robinson possibly.... where the Bills arguably have four if not five guys who have not reached their potential yet.  

Lol.  This is a completely ridiculous take. I don't understand why you're pushing this "potential" angle for the Bills but have ignored it for all other teams. The Bills best dlineman is currently on the PUP list and is 34 years old. Ed Oliver has 14.5 career sacks and has never had more than 5 in a single season, I don't see a lot of potential there. Daquon Jones has 12 sacks in 9 seasons, and is on his 3rd team in 3 years. Their backup DTs are a bunch of Jags. Does Shaq Lawson who's never had more than 6.5 sacks in a season and had 3.5 last year have oozing potential? Even if Rousseau were to have a breakout year its hard to believe he will play better than Haason Reddick will. 

I would take Haason Reddick and Jalen Carter over literally anyone on the Bills dline, and I'd take Jordan Davis over any of the Bills DTs. I don't know if you're a Bills fan or what but listing them as the top Dline in the league is just ridiculous. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I was just pointing out how silly it is to rank the Bills Dline over the Eagles when the Eagles had 30 more sacks last year. The Bills were tied for 14th in the NFL with 40 last year, very pedestrian. 

Lol.  This is a completely ridiculous take. I don't understand why you're pushing this "potential" angle for the Bills but have ignored it for all other teams. The Bills best dlineman is currently on the PUP list and is 34 years old. Ed Oliver has 14.5 career sacks and has never had more than 5 in a single season, I don't see a lot of potential there. Daquon Jones has 12 sacks in 9 seasons, and is on his 3rd team in 3 years. Their backup DTs are a bunch of Jags. Does Shaq Lawson who's never had more than 6.5 sacks in a season and had 3.5 last year have oozing potential? Even if Rousseau were to have a breakout year its hard to believe he will play better than Haason Reddick will. 

I would take Haason Reddick and Jalen Carter over literally anyone on the Bills dline, and I'd take Jordan Davis over any of the Bills DTs. I don't know if you're a Bills fan or what but listing them as the top Dline in the league is just ridiculous. 

So if I had the Bills 2nd or 3rd on my list you would not lose your mind then?  Whatever, maybe I am wrong but all the trash going Von Miller's way, people just adore the 35 year old Brandon Graham who cannot do any wrong and will never get bad ever in his old age?  And Von Miller is hurt last year and people are ready to call him total crap already.  But yes if Von Miller is totally garbage that would hurt the Bills DL a ton, same as if Reddick got hurt for the Eagles and was out the year.  

Watching the game tonight, Tarron Jackson looks solid as a young player for them on the edge, but he will most likely get cut but maybe he beats out Janarius Robinson who has not looked great.  Like what I have seen from Jackson no question.  Also Noah Elliss looks like a dude at NT, he will most likely get cut also and could be a great pickup for another team, really solid inside player.  Ojomo is another talented kid but went down with injury, hopefully he is ok.

Same can be said at LB with Ben VanSumeren, most likely cut and could be a great value potentially for someone else not to mention the legion of corners they will be cutting unless some guys stay on IR.  Josiah Scott is one, solid tackling corner with slot ability, Ringo is most likely cut and so is Ricks but Ricks has not looked quite as good in this one, same with Ringo but both have a ton of potentially and sure other teams will pick them up.

Yeah the Eagles have a great roster and their GM should get just as much credit as the coaches do but not sure he does.  He is the reason why the players are being brought in and drafted, he does a hell of a job collecting talent.  

But yes for the Eagles to have a historic sack season again and get 70 plus, good luck with that one.